cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of giving up TRS , what do I truly loose?

Serious question. What do I truly loose for giving up TRS status other than a few percentage points in fee reductions? I sell mostly low cost and near non-existent fraud items. I am adding another two lines of merchandise that also are low sell price low fraud items.  For example many items sell for $5.99 and I charge $2.50 (yes I know actual cost is $2.66) shipping, combining shipping to $2.50 for as many as you purchase. I feel the combined shipping has generated more sale for me, but at what cost?

Of course my Items that end much higher will still go tracked and I will happily eat that cost. 

Thoughts? Comments?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

While TRS may matter to some buyers, I think that many buyers don't think it means anything.  No offense to you or any other TRS, but there are times when you have no more chance of a successful transaction from a TRS seller than you do with the rankest amateur newbie seller.  

And often the not as described, or improperly packed and broken item leads to a string of abusive, hostile, insulting, profanity laced emails followed by false, retaliatory negative feedback, in a positive format, for the buyer.

So for what it's worth, I think you will survive without it.  I don't think you are the first or only seller to question whether having it is worth it, or if it is effective, and if you drop it, you won't be the first one to do that either.

All the best.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

You lose NOTHING other than a badge on your feedback page that hardly anyone looks at and doesn't really mean anything to anyone.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

While TRS may matter to some buyers, I think that many buyers don't think it means anything.  No offense to you or any other TRS, but there are times when you have no more chance of a successful transaction from a TRS seller than you do with the rankest amateur newbie seller.  

And often the not as described, or improperly packed and broken item leads to a string of abusive, hostile, insulting, profanity laced emails followed by false, retaliatory negative feedback, in a positive format, for the buyer.

So for what it's worth, I think you will survive without it.  I don't think you are the first or only seller to question whether having it is worth it, or if it is effective, and if you drop it, you won't be the first one to do that either.

All the best.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

You lose NOTHING other than a badge on your feedback page that hardly anyone looks at and doesn't really mean anything to anyone.

Well said.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

I gave up TRS plus a while back and haven't missed it. Sales are like everyone else's - some weeks great - other weeks the lights are off - but I never had consistent sales with the supposed higher visibility and TRS badge.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

You also lose the stress of having to keep jumping through eBay's flaming hoops just to keep the dog show ribbon.

TRS is one of those things that if it happens, great, if not then so what?  In fact I have achieved and lost it plenty of times over the years.  And the only thing that causes me to lose it is insufficient sales count.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

@slideshopper wrote: Thinking of giving up TRS , what do I truly loose?  

Daily headaches?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 7 of 47
latest reply

That badge is not why I ship in 24 hours.  I do it because I know buyers want it delivered the day they bought it.  Now, if that was 3% or 4%, I might even jump though hoops.  But one percent isn't worth much.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

That badge is not why I ship in 24 hours.  I do it because I know buyers want it delivered the day they bought it.  Now, if that was 3% or 4%, I might even jump though hoops.  But one percent isn't worth much.

Actually, that badge has nothing to do with shipping speed.  I switched to 3 business days handling (still usually ship within a day or sooner unless a situation comes up that requires me to take longer), and have held TRS off and on with no changes in my preferences.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Sometimes I think I had more sales without the TRS Badge - the good 'ol days!

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:
 ... that badge has nothing to do with shipping speed.  I switched to 3 business days handling ....

The TR-Plus badge has everything to do with shipping speed.  It requires 1-day handling. That's why your listings don't show it.

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

I hope to remain a TRS for the shipping discount, but may change my handling time and definitely won't go to free returns, so I will lose the TRSplus badge on my listings.

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Although I'm a TRS, if I lose that status, I really don't give a you know what. It's not worth striving for.  If it happens, so be it. If it's lost, no worry.  I don't care about badges or stars. I can buy those at the dollar store.

I do the best I can as a seller. TRS was not my choice. I just happen to meet the criteria.

If signifigant rewards were available, then the effort might be worth making.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

I dropped one-day shipping abput 2 years ago. One of my better moves here. That removed the oocasional hassle and stress of beating the clock.  It's just not worth it. Plus....many of my auctions end on Thurday or Friday eveining, which give me until Monday or Tuesday to get things out the door.  Another great move.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

Thanks for the input everyone. It's what U thought but wasn't sure

Message 15 of 47
latest reply