cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about adding ...

I have an extra account.   It is aged.   It has a respectable number of favorable feedbacks.

I'm thinking about doing CPR and bringing it back to life.

The small auto parts store I got is doing ok, it is almost where I want it to be ... almost.

I'm thinking about opening the other store and selling the stuff that people use every day. 

Dish soap, toothpaste, foot powder, deodorant ... stuff.

It can be gotten for about $1.50 on average for each, and from what I see there is sufficient margin to make it worthwhile.

But, I remember seeing seller lament about eBay requiring proof of purchase and when insufficient proof is submitted the account gets shut down.   Permanently.

So, what's the deal on that?  If I buy a pallet of misc personal care items, how do I prove that the jar of make up I sold was purchased and not stolen?   Do I need to make sure that the makeup is individually listed on the invoice? 

I want to be proactive with this? 

How do I do that?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

eBay's concern about proof of purchase is usually directed at higher-value and higher-scam items such as electronics, not on basic personal care items.

When you are assessing your margins, don't forget to allow for the ever-increasing cost of shipping, and eBay's policy of charging a final value fee (usually 13.25%) on the buyer's entire payment including shipping and sales tax if any.  This can seriously undermine profits on lower-cost items, especially heavier ones.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Guessing that you will be OK on items under $10 unless they are on the Vero watch. I don't happen to have that list.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Personally, I don't buy "Dish soap, toothpaste, foot powder, deodorant ..." here, but I suppose folks do. I can't imagine that you'd have to provide proof of purchase for those things, though.

When you mention "makeup", I fear for you. Not for the ownership, but for so many other things that could go wrong.

Plus... can  you get an itemized list of things bought in a pallet of misc personal care items anyway? Hmmm... 🤔

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Vero is for name brand stuff, designer stuff, not toothpaste.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

What you are talking about selling has nothing to do with the procedures you are concerned about that ebay may impose.  It is highly unlikely that would ever happen.

However I would advise you to use caution on selling MakeUp items.  There are Health concerns and rules to comply with on this type of stuff.  You can't sell used cosmetics on Ebay as it is a health issue.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/cosmetics-policy?id=4290

I think it is a great idea if you have the time and money for inventory to revive your other account.

FYI, if your other account has a selling limit that is too low, often times if you contact Ebay and ask for a limit increase right away siting the good standing of your other account, it works and they will raise the limit.  I did this on one of my other accounts and it worked out well.  Otherwise you have to wait for some current sales history and then you can request an increase once every 30 days.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Vero rights owners can be any product, any type.  

The Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program allows owners of intellectual property (IP) rights and their authorized representatives to report eBay listings that may infringe on those rights. VeRO embodies our commitment to provide a safe place to buy and sell, which respects property owners’ rights.

Dollar shave club is on the Vero list, for example.

It's not just for designer items.   

That does not mean you can't sell them.  It just means you can't infringe on their rights.   If you sell authentic items, take your own photos and write your own descriptions you will be able to sell those items.  I'm not going to say you won't get a false takedown, but there are remedies for that as well.

Examples of infringements

• Items that bear the rights owner’s trademark—such as a logo—but were not authorized by the rights owner.
  • Unauthorized copies of audio, video, or other media.
  • Unauthorized use of a rights owner’s images or text in a listing.

I don't think the types of items that the seller wants to list will be on the radar for "fakes" but it does not mean it does not happen.  It's more likely that the OP will draw some attention for selling stolen products and may need to prove where he got them.   I suppose buying pallets will always be a risk for drawing scrutiny about being authentic or obtained legally.    Some of the most common shoplifted items are:  Razors, Baby Formula, cosmetics, deodorants, batteries and over the counter medicines.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

And I just wanted to note.  Proctor and Gamble is on the list of VERO List participants and has a page on eBay.

They make Crest Toothpaste and Gillette razors.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Good point.  However it doesn't mean they don't allow their items to be sold on the site.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=crest&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=procter+gamble&_sacat=0&_...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=gillette&_sacat=0&_odkw=p...

But certainly it is something that is important to be aware of.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I will repeat what I said because it is clear that some people answer before reading.

It's not just for designer items.   

That does not mean you can't sell them.  It just means you can't infringe on their rights.   If you sell authentic items, take your own photos and write your own descriptions you will be able to sell those items.  I'm not going to say you won't get a false takedown, but there are remedies for that as well.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@mam98031   Remember the fake Colgate toothpaste that was being sold, mostly in Africa, a few years back.?

At least that company may be cautious about online sales of their product.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

If the OP is talking about buying skids of product they won't be selling 'used' makeup - they will get whatever the supplier packs on there. I've seen some alarming stuff on those skids, but it's all supposed to be knew.

But TBH, I sold makeup for a while and would never do it in any quantity again - it can be a twitchy market for some reason.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Also ebay may consider limits like a new seller if the account has sat vacant for a while.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Thanks to EVERYBODY for your input.

I will heed the warnings about makeup.  Twitchy eh?   Hmmm.   LoL

The margins appear thin for the 'pallet' dealers.  

I am used to working on a 3x margin for my auto parts ... I don't expect to get much better than 2x.

Worth a test I suppose.

Any other tips you guys wanna lay on me? 

I know ... some don't believe in 'educating' their competition, but, I doubt I'd me much competition to anyone here.  

Just trying to feed a couple of kids.

🧒 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

A while back US Customs seized container loads of counterfeit Marlboro cigarettes at Port Newark NJ.  They were shipped from China, authentic right on down to the NJ tax stamp!   

This is why manufacturers are leery of seeing their products in unauthorized markets.  Just where are pallet products coming from?

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply