cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The buyer broke the item, Ebay allowed the return and won't give me my money

A buyer bought a watch with a leather band from me.  I received a return that says the watch is water resistant, got wet and is broken.  I replied asking if the buyer wore the watch in a pool.  They replied no showers and cooking.  I contacted Ebay and was assured I would not have to refund the buyer and all I had to do was post a picture and a comment when the watch was returned.  The band is rounded from getting wet and drying and the watch is not working.  They approved the buyers return.  I appealed and lost.  I spoke with customer service and was told I would get a manual credit in 7-10 business days.  I called back and it was never entered.  I have since spoken to 3 other people whose supervisors would not approve the credit.  I asked to escalate and was told if I offer free return shipping in the future I could get 50% buyer protection and that I should contact the return shipping company for a refund.(I no longer have the envelope and that would be fraud anyway) So I am out $75.50 plus the original shipping and have a broken watch  to boot.

I tried to dispute the charge and they charged me back on my credit card.  Any ideas on who to contact.  The return policy is absurd.  Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: The buyer broke the item, Ebay allowed the return and won't give me my money

@reicher62 

Was the watch water resistant?

If it was and got wet and now it's not working, that would be a good return.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: The buyer broke the item, Ebay allowed the return and won't give me my money

You were given wrong information (or misunderstood) by customer service.

Sorry to say but on this type of return ebay will ALWAYS find in favor of the buyer.

I'm surprised that someone with such experience as you does not know this.

Chalk this  up as a loss and continue to sell more watches.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Customer Service lied to you, which is what they do. If eBay ever does **** the bed, they can look back at their disgusting CS as one of the major reasons for their demise.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I guess you didn't read my entire post.  Water Resistant means a splash not a shower or soaking,  google it.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I have never had an item returned to me broken/destroyed in the 20 plus years I have been selling.  Yes I have had Solar Watches returned because the buyer didn't put in sun light to charge but nothing as stupid as wearing a leather watch in a shower.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

"The return policy is absurd."

@reicher62 

It seems absurd from a seller's standpoint, but it may keep buyers here. Sorry you went through call-in C/S... they're bad.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@reicher62 wrote:

I have never had an item returned to me broken/destroyed in the 20 plus years I have been selling.  Yes I have had Solar Watches returned because the buyer didn't put in sun light to charge but nothing as stupid as wearing a leather watch in a shower.

I'm sorry to say but yes, no matter how stupid the complaint, like wearing a watch in the shower, the customer (buyer) is always right. In this case and in the future, the best thing to do is...

Accept the return (if you want the item back) 

-OR-

Refund (if you don't want to pay shipping to get the broken item back)

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Or never sell here again, which is what I do, says the Cynical Chardonnay drinker.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply