cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Spider Dilemma

The age old spider dilemma...seeking advice on what you would do.

I have a new in the box sealed action figure set that I would like to list.  It sells for around $200.  Went to take photos and noticed a fairly big stanky dead spider inside (this action figure set has a clear plastic window on the front of the box).    No spider webs just the dead spider carcass flopping about when the box is tilted back and forth.   Dang!

What does one do in this spider dilemma...

1. List the set still factory sealed while disclosing the addition of the dead spider

2. Open the sealed set (tape) thus lowering its value considerably, remove my little dead buddy, list set as open box but unused

I hate spiders!

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

The Spider Dilemma

Did your item originally came from oversea's ?

Over here (AUs), any bugs, dead or alive need to be reported to our customs/quarantine department.

edited to say Yeeeeew

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

Just point out that it's in there and you don't want to open the package. 

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

I guess everything comes from overseas (Made In China).  I bought the set new off the shelf locally at Walmart (North Dakota).

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

If I list it as is, my next question would be...should I show a photo of the spider?  Here is my dilemma...If I unseal the box and list it then I might get $100 for it.  If I leave it sealed with the spider in it then I might get $200 but maybe zero people will want it for any amount of money AND my action figure set becomes branded as the infamous spider set.  I worry that even if I later relist it as open box and don't mention that it previously had a spider in it that potential buyers might see the original unsold "spider" listing and know that this particular set was once spider positive.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

Unless it is a Spiderman figure, I guess it isn't really fitting to include it LOL. Wait for more responses coz I honestly don't know - if it were me I would remove said critter, but as you say, a lot less money.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

I'm leaning toward the remove the spider option because the other option seems like potential trouble...or maybe I'm just thinking crazy, can't say for sure anymore.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

@modulok! wrote:

What does one do in this spider dilemma...

1. List the set still factory sealed while disclosing the addition of the dead spider

2. Open the sealed set (tape) thus lowering its value considerably, remove my little dead buddy, list set as open box but unused

Unfortunately, if there's a dead spider inside, it can't be that sealed... 🙄

I think the Yuck factor of a dead spider inside outweighs any possible value of the supposedly sealed box. (The spider may also have deposited some balled-up spider food elsewhere in the box, and/or some webs. There may be more in there that you cannot see.)

If this were mine, I would open the box in any discreet way possible (most likely by slicing open the bottom seal of the box, not the top), extract the contents and clean where necessary, do some nice photography showing both the item and the box, and go with that. As you will have removed the spider, you don't need to mention that anymore, so just treat it as a regular open-box listing.

(I would not even mention why it was opened. Just go with what you have.)

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

charge more, how many action figures do you know of that come with real (dead) spiders included? 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

You could list it as new in box and note in the description that you unsealed it to remove a spider.. 

/shrugs..

I don't mind spiders..AASpider walk.gif

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

opening the package on a sealed collectible figure that goes for $200 would render the value to about $50, collectors (of all things, not just figures) want mint state - that means the packaging especially. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

@nuclearomen wrote:

opening the package on a sealed collectible figure that goes for $200 would render the value to about $50, collectors (of all things, not just figures) want mint state - that means the packaging especially. 

Spiders too? LOL 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

I would list it as is, photograph the spider, add a big neon green arrow pointing to the spider with text on the image that says there's a dead spider in the box.

If you don't get enough interest, then revise the listing to remove all mention of the spider before ending the listing (so the spider won't show on the ended listing for anybody searching). Then open the box, remove the arachnid, inspect the contents and relist as open box.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

@nuclearomen wrote:

charge more, how many action figures do you know of that come with real (dead) spiders included? 

^^^I totally second this. I sell action figures and there are some collectors out there who would absolutely love the novelty of it all (I wish I had it to sell). Just make it painfully clear in the title, photos, description - when you sell it, send a confirmation message, again disclosing the fact that the package contains the locked-up arachnid. 

I'd sell it as "creepy" and "mysterious", but I definitely wouldn't open it.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

The Spider Dilemma

Shake it around and break it up and see if you can slide the pieces out whatever part of the package it must have slipped through without cracking the tape. 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply