cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thai seller advertising pills that will slow the growth of liver cancer.

I just don’t understand EBay. They spend time and energy to abolish the books of a long-dead author, whose writings caused no physical harm, but won’t do anything to stop these charlatans from peddling fake medicine.  Liver cancer is one of the deadliest cancers on the planet. No pill is going to stop it. Let’s face it , there are people who are naive, uneducated or just plain not very bright who may delay real treatment because of claims like this.

I can find no category to report this. I reported under listing practices but that went nowhere. This listing has been up for months. Say what you will about Amazon that ad would be gone in a heartbeat. Oh, and seller has pills that cure hernias. No need for surgery, just pop a few pills a day while the hernia continues to grow. Also pills that prevent the occurrence of cancer in a woman’s reproductive organs. There are hundreds of such listings. Where is EBay’s social conscience? Sorry for the rant but I despise sellers who take advantage of people. I realize EBay can’t find all listings like this but how about a category for reporting false medical claims?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It is possible to report the seller directly using this link:

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

If you choose the last option on that page, on the next page you should have an opportunity to explain what the issue is and refer to the listing and associated medical claims.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I have seen many people suggesting using the eBay  Facebook page and that there are higher ups that monitor the page. You might try posting the listing and a message about it. Can’t hurt at least.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

To the best of my knowledge, every listing has a report this item link.

If you can't find one in this listing, tell us the item number.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

If only there was a pill to get rid of bad buyers and sellers from ebay. 😞

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

There is a report link and the OP did report it.

But when you try to report an item for a fraudulent medical claims, there is no obvious category to classify it under.

What would you choose as a category?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Very true on the report link page. It in my OP, it is setup so in many cases, there is no real correct reason why something is being reported. The times that I have reported something, ether used the one that is close or gave up. Which is sad. Things that do not even come close to how they should be listed,  that should have been easy to report are not.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

What OP is saying, though, is that when she uses "Report Item," nothing in the drop-down menus is relevant.  

OP is talking about listings like one I found that don't just claim health benefits of some sort but actually state:  "Cure Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, Fatty Liver, Ascites and Other Liver Diseases...  This cure fatty liver disease capsule is based on a secret formula... owned by the royual family... clinically proven to be effective and without side effect.... ", etc.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

Have you tried "price gouging?"
The logic, you can't sell fake medicine so it's price gouging.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It is possible to report the seller directly using this link:

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

If you choose the last option on that page, on the next page you should have an opportunity to explain what the issue is and refer to the listing and associated medical claims.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Snake oil salesman.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Ha! The supply and demand on that one! You'd make a killing.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks so much for the link. I suspect this is a problem that will continue to expand. There are many, many such listings. All or most appear to be out of Thailand, Sri Lanka or Vietnam. I really do wish EBay would take this seriously. Lord knows what is in those pills that could cause real harm to someone. EBay would not be happy with the kind of publicity that would bring. I’m not sure if those countries have watchdog agencies like our FDA.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

It would be a prohibited listing as it would cost ebay money.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Liver cancer is one of the deadliest cancers on the planet. No pill is going to stop it. Let’s face it , there are people who are naive, uneducated or just plain not very bright who may delay real treatment because of claims like this.

I can add another one, those that are desperate to try any possible cure, and that make these sellers all the more reprehensible.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply