THE LIST OF FEES ARE GOING TO MAKE ME RETHINK SELLING IN 2020

1. EBAY STORE FEE (PREMIUM)

2. FINAL VALUE FEES ON SOLD ITEMS

3. EBAY FEES ON SHIPPING ITEMS

4. EBAY FEES FOR PROMOTED LISTINGS

5. FEES COLLECTED FOR STATE TAX

6. USPS SHIPPING FEES INCREASING AGAIN

7. PAYPAL OR MANAGED PAYMENTS FEES

It is coming to a point now where it is getting very difficult to make any kind of money selling here.  Everyone wants free shipping but it is not free for the sellers and is getting very expensive.  The fees would not hurt so much if there were some good sales to back it up.  I am in my 15th year selling on Ebay and this is by far the worst 4th quarter ever.  I have consistently changed up my product selection, lowered my prices, promote all my listings and always have my items on sale. I have set Jan 1, 2020 to make a final decision as to whether I can continue selling here.

Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: THE LIST OF FEES ARE GOING TO MAKE ME RETHINK SELLING IN 2020

Ebay makes 91 percent of it's money from upfront fee's and big business adds.  Most of the sellers I follow barely make 1 percent sales per week on average. The new automatic fixed price relisting fee's which average 25-35 cents each are costing sellers big fee increases each month! Many have closed their Ebay stores due to lack of sales only to get higher monthly fee's because they forget to remove their fixed price listings,about 350.00 for every 1000 items relisting. It really eats up any free adds as well. Then theirs the auctions automatic relisting icon that many are not paying attention too! This relists over and over at 25-35 cents in fee's and the system won't allow you to sell your items when it keeps relisting automatically! Basically why let your items sell the 1st time at 1 fee when Ebay can get you for many relisting fee's on same item?

Then there's the strict hidden seller limits on any account joined before 2008,of course you can't see the limits when clicking my-Ebay like you can if you joined after 2008. Ebay realized the baby boomer generation are sellers not buyers like they were 15-20 years ago so they needed a format that got them lots of fee's and catered to today's generation. Bring in Cassini ALGORITHM since this was brought into Ebay our fee's increased and sales are averaging 1 or 2 a day if your lucky followed by day's of nothing. 1 percent limits,you reach the limit early in the week and your sales die until the next week. All an effort to get items to relist over and over and bring in more fee's!  

Message 61 of 109
latest reply

1. EBAY STORE FEE (PREMIUM)

You have 50 Free Listings if you do not subscribe to a Store. While any listings over that first 50 would cost you 35c each, Store listings can be as low as 3c, depending on the level of Store and the number of listings you have.

You can double the number of Free or Subscribed listings by also listing on eBayCanada at no further charge. There are some quirks about this.

2. FINAL VALUE FEES ON SOLD ITEMS

TRS sellers get a discount on FVF.

3. EBAY FEES ON SHIPPING ITEMS

If you have lowered your FVF by becoming TRS, and use Free Shipping, you pay only the TRS level fees on your shipping costs.

Free Shipping means you have moved your costs of packaging and shipping into the asking price of the item. It simplifies comparisons for the buyer and tends to increase sales.

4. EBAY FEES FOR PROMOTED LISTINGS
Are only charged when the item actually sells. And the seller chooses what percentage she will pay. 

5. FEES COLLECTED FOR STATE TAX

EBay does not collect any fees on Internet Sales Taxes. Paypal charges US sellers 2.9% on the taxes passed through their hands. (We Canadians pay 3.4%.)

6. USPS SHIPPING FEES INCREASING AGAIN

It's an election year. Call your federal representative.

7. PAYPAL OR MANAGED PAYMENTS FEES

I have heard of no rises in PP fees. US sellers pay 30 c per transaction plus 2.9% on domestic sales, 4.4% on foreign sales.

Managed Payments are higher because they apparently charge 29c per sale (there can be many sales in a single transaction). On the other hand, Managed Payments does not charge a fee on Internet Sales Taxes.

lowered my prices, promote all my listings and always have my items on sale.

The usual sayings about retail are "You make money when you buy, not when you sell"  and "Some things are not meant for mail order". 

Time to rethink the business plan.

Perhaps your items would be more attractive if you raised the prices? This is sometimes called "aspirational pricing" because some consumers believe that the more they pay for a thing, the more it is worth and the happier they are with their purchase.

Message 62 of 109
latest reply

Ebay makes 91 percent of it's money from upfront fee's and big business adds.

@ranzerocks 

Where did you get that figure from?  From the stats pic'd below.  70% of Ebay's income comes from transaction revenues which include both listing fees, store fees and FVFs.  10% is from advertisers.  10% Stub Hub and 10% from Classifieds.

001.JPG

As is clear from many threads that have been created over the past year in respect to the GTC change, most if not all of those sellers said they only post listing within whatever their free allotment is for the month.  So if a seller is doing that, they aren't paying extra listing fees.  I'm confident that there are some sellers that post beyond their free allotment of listings, but for the most part those that came to the threads were casual sellers and small sellers that stayed within that allotment and therefore are not experiencing extra listing fees due to the GTC change.

However many of those seller have a different issue and that is for those that prefer to rotate stock.  With the GTC change that has presented a serious problem for them and to stay within their free allotment.  That is a BIG problem for many of these sellers and clearly a real issue.

If your selling limits do not display on your Dashboard, you can call Ebay and get that number.

As to the make up of buyers.  This stat may help you with that.  

Demographics.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 63 of 109
latest reply

Your obviously an Ebay insider trying to  mislead the Shareholders. There's no way these stats are acurate because very few sellers on Ebay do well these days . If Ebay was doing well they wouldn't be adding fee's on everything! Even the so called experts on Youtube are phonies most likely hired Ebay help. I Followed some of their sales and they barely get 2 a day usually less then 20.00 and with free shipping and fee's,they might clear 10.00 a day! Most sellers have higher bills from Ebay with the fixed price automatic relisting a total scam! Ebay makes most of their money in fee's and without them would be out of business! The info is out their look for it!! 

Message 64 of 109
latest reply

ps-- calling Ebay is a joke,they will always telling you your selling limits are unlimited if you joined before 2008,but no matter what you list you continue to make the same amount of money since cassini was introduced! Selling limits if you joined before 2008 are strict and hidden for a reason! I've done lot's of research and found many issues with this site. Did you know promoted listings actually get less exposure because they were removed from the regular search engines and they are flooded with big business adds? Buyers use add blockers to block adds and guess what,your adds disappear from the search results if using promoted listings . There are demo video's out there on this matter on youtube! Also bet you didn't know that many of your adds that do not require immediate payment don't work! 9 out of 10 times I tried have people buy my items and the commit to buy page doesn't show up,causing them to pay right away with card or paypal! This means the item don't sell especially if the buyer wants to wait to pay because other auctions haven't ended yet and they want combined shipping/invoice! Try it! Ebay has more blocks then you can imagine on sales!   

Message 65 of 109
latest reply

@ranzerocks 

Your obviously an Ebay insider trying to  mislead the Shareholders.

What the heck?  Where did that come from?  I find it extremely doubtful that "shareholders" are hanging around the threads.  Maybe some pop in from time to time or maybe some that own a handful of shares, but I don't think that shareholders on the threads is commonplace.  Maybe I'm wrong, IDK, honestly it isn't anything I've ever thought about.

The information I provided is readily available on the internet, all you need to do is Google it.  

There's no way these stats are acurate because very few sellers on Ebay do well these days .

And you base that off of what exactly?  While Ebay GMV is down, Ebay is still a very profitable company, we just want them to do better and that is understandable.  

If Ebay was doing well they wouldn't be adding fee's on everything!

I never claimed Ebay is doing "well".  That is your choice of words.  As far as Ebay "adding fee's on everything", you'd have to be specific as for me that is not a true statement.  But something else may be going on for you, so if you would be specific that would help.

Even the so called experts on Youtube are phonies most likely hired Ebay help.

Well now that is very true.  Not the part that Ebay hired them, but there are many YouTube self professed experts that don't know what the heck they are talking about.  I'm sure there are good ones out there too, but some I've seen are completely wrong.

I Followed some of their sales and they barely get 2 a day usually less then 20.00 and with free shipping and fee's,they might clear 10.00 a day!

Do you know that to be their only selling account?  Likely they are protecting that from the public like many do that post here with posting IDs instead of their selling accounts.

Most sellers have higher bills from Ebay with the fixed price automatic relisting a total scam!

"Most" is an overstatement.  When the firestorm of threads happened after the GTC change was made, the vast majority of posters here were sellers that by their own admission never posted more listings than whatever free allotment they had each month.  So free is free.  Now it does present issues for those sellers that try to rotate their stock within a month.  That is very true.  It is challenging for many casual and small sellers.

But "most" would be a complete overstatement since even before the GTC change over 70% of the listings on Ebay were GTC as many sellers have used them for years.  That is not a statement meant to take away from sellers that are having trouble finding a way to adjust to this way of listing, as I firmly believe it is a real issue for some.

Ebay makes most of their money in fee's and without them would be out of business! The info is out their look for it!! 

LOL, Oh come on, REALLY?!?!?  SURPRISE, YES Ebay is a for profit company and charges fees for services rendered.  

Message 66 of 109
latest reply

Hi, I meant Ebay puts out this nonsense ,not YOU ON your post on the stats!

I just read that in 2017 Ebays 9.6 billion in revenues was great news for investors ,but 7 billion or so came from seller fee's! I'm sure that number is way up now! I have several Ebay accounts since 1998 and 2 stores,sales are dismal here! My buddy went from 80 grand a year,to virtually nothing. I saw a seller with over 600,000 LISTINGS averaging less then 1 percent in sales. This seems to be the pattern for most ,a hidden seller limit if you will!    Most of my money comes from other venues now. If your gonna tell me how great everyone does here,I'm gonna ask for proof! Today's generation thinks 1 or 2 sales a day or 5 or 10 a week is considered good or great, my generation we did that every hour! Ebay sucks today period! And everyone knows it! 

Message 67 of 109
latest reply

PS--I Have several Ebay accounts so excuse the different id's!

Message 68 of 109
latest reply

@audiesnicnacs wrote:

Hi, I meant Ebay puts out this nonsense ,not YOU ON your post on the stats!

I just read that in 2017 Ebays 9.6 billion in revenues was great news for investors ,but 7 billion or so came from seller fee's! I'm sure that number is way up now! I have several Ebay accounts since 1998 and 2 stores,sales are dismal here! My buddy went from 80 grand a year,to virtually nothing. I saw a seller with over 600,000 LISTINGS averaging less then 1 percent in sales. This seems to be the pattern for most ,a hidden seller limit if you will!    Most of my money comes from other venues now. If your gonna tell me how great everyone does here,I'm gonna ask for proof! Today's generation thinks 1 or 2 sales a day or 5 or 10 a week is considered good or great, my generation we did that every hour! Ebay sucks today period! And everyone knows it! 

Of course their main source of income is from fees on Ebay.  That is the business they are in.  Why do you find that unusual or curious or wrong or whatever you are implying.  It is what Ebay does.  I'm not following you.  If Ebay didn't make money from the various fees the site charges, how would they pay their bills?  How would they stay in business?

Any seller that has over 600,000 listings and less than 1% in sales, simply shouldn't be on Ebay.  Sellers have to take responsibility for their own actions or inactions as it may be.  If you aren't making money here and you can't find a way to make your listings more interesting to buyers, that isn't necessarily Ebay's fault.  But to stay and pay the fees while not having sales to cover them is just a very bad business decision on the seller's part.

"This seems to be the pattern for most ,a hidden seller limit if you will!"  They aren't hidden.  If you don't see yours on your Seller Hub, then you may need to call Ebay.  Sellers with accounts 2008 and before don't have theirs showing on the Seller Hub.

"If your gonna tell me how great everyone does here,I'm gonna ask for proof! "  You will find that NONE of my postings say that "everyone" or "most" or anything like that when we talk about how or what other sellers are doing.  Anyone using those types of words are just trying to make their post seem better than it is as there is NO WAY a you or I can know that.  There are more than 25 million sellers worldwide.  And while I know a lot of sellers, it isn't even a drop in the bucket against that number.  Nor are those that participate on these threads.  We typically have a combination of buyers and sellers around 7,000 of them on any given day.  That is a fraction of the sellers on Ebay.

The GMV is down.  Now that does indicate that sales for sellers overall are down a bit.  Does it mean we are all heading for the unemployment line so to speak.  Absolutely not.  

"Today's generation thinks 1 or 2 sales a day or 5 or 10 a week is considered good or great, my generation we did that every hour! Ebay sucks today period! And everyone knows it! " Maybe yes, maybe no.  But you don't determine what is a good amount of sales for any other seller.  That is their business, not yours.  They get to determine when their business is doing well, not you.  From the account you are posting with, it can't be seen that you do as you previously stated.  But I know many post with posting IDs.  I do hope you are doing well and continue to do so.

Message 69 of 109
latest reply

johnrj1226
Rockstar
Last Edited 11-21-2019 04:08:17 AM
@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

5. FEES COLLECTED FOR STATE TAX - nothing we can do about that and I'm sure all other selling formats are following the same rules.   The buyer pays this tax - not a cost  of sales.

@johnrj1226  The way the sales tax is charged it does become a cost of sales. The reason we are charged for the tax is that the total cost for the sale, including tax is sent through Paypal first and they calculate our fees based on the full amount before removing the tax charged by eBay. 

A real example from this month-

I sold an item for $10 with free shipping to someone in NYS. eBay charged tax on that item at a rate of 8.4% bringing the total into my Paypal account to $10.84. Paypal took a total of $0.61 in fees. If we calculate the percentage of $0.61 in $10.00, minus the flat $0.35 they charge per item, we get 3.10%. If we calculate the percentage of $0.61 in $10.84 (including the tax), minus the flat $0.35 they charge per item, we get 2.86%, nearly the 2.90% that they typically charge us. If they removed the charge for the tax before they calculated the 2.9%, we would only pay $0.59 in fees. While the difference here won't break my business, it still does come out of my pocket. 

Message 70 of 109
latest reply

@buysarah wrote:

johnrj1226
Rockstar
Last Edited 11-21-2019 04:08:17 AM
@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

5. FEES COLLECTED FOR STATE TAX - nothing we can do about that and I'm sure all other selling formats are following the same rules.   The buyer pays this tax - not a cost  of sales.

@johnrj1226  The way the sales tax is charged it does become a cost of sales. The reason we are charged for the tax is that the total cost for the sale, including tax is sent through Paypal first and they calculate our fees based on the full amount before removing the tax charged by eBay. 

A real example from this month-

I sold an item for $10 with free shipping to someone in NYS. eBay charged tax on that item at a rate of 8.4% bringing the total into my Paypal account to $10.84. Paypal took a total of $0.61 in fees. If we calculate the percentage of $0.61 in $10.00, minus the flat $0.35 they charge per item, we get 3.10%. If we calculate the percentage of $0.61 in $10.84 (including the tax), minus the flat $0.35 they charge per item, we get 2.86%, nearly the 2.90% that they typically charge us. If they removed the charge for the tax before they calculated the 2.9%, we would only pay $0.59 in fees. While the difference here won't break my business, it still does come out of my pocket. 

Ebay does not charge a FVF on sales tax.

All money processors charge their fees based on the total amount received / processed.  They always have just as credit cards charge their processing fees on the total amount being processed by the store or wherever you are making a purchase.  When we use to collect our own sales tax on sales within our own states as sellers, PP charged us processing fees on the amount received as well.

However sales tax is NOT a cost of sale.  It is different.  You do NOT have to claim the sales tax on any sale as part of your Gross Income and you would need that requirement to define the tax itself as a cost of sale.  Also you don't collect or remit the sales tax, Ebay does that.  It just passes through your account, in and out.

It is one of the reasons that the 1099Ks do NOT report Gross Income or Sales to the IRS, they report Gross Receipts.  You take that Gross Receipts and deduct any sales tax and refunds you had throughout the period to arrive at your Gross Income.  

Message 71 of 109
latest reply

I was charged $52 for an unsold item. Sorry eBay but that is my last time I'll use you, I'm a client since 2008, unfortunately I'll close my account today.

Message 72 of 109
latest reply

@adridavid214 Wrote:

I was charged $52 for an unsold item. Sorry eBay but that is my last time I'll use you, I'm a client since 2008, unfortunately I'll close my account today.“

I see you had placed a reserve on your auctions. Reserves are charged a fee to use. They are not free and are charged if an item sells or not. Ebay also has guidelines in the policy regarding closing of one’s account. Policy link below, for your perusal. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/changing-account-settings/closing-account?id=4199

Message 73 of 109
latest reply

Looks like another one who changed their mind. Fees must not be all that bad with 439 listings still up and running.

Message 74 of 109
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Looks like another one who changed their mind. Fees must not be all that bad with 439 listings still up and running.

They didn't say they were leaving. They said they needed to rethink the situation and that they "have set Jan 1, 2020 to make a final decision as to whether I can continue selling here."

Obviously they chose to stay.

Message 75 of 109
latest reply