cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T/F: sales tax unknown, and so seller fee unknown at time of listing?

(Brand new seller)

As best I can tell, the seller fee on an item is based on the total amount the buyer pays, including sales tax.  The sales tax rate to a U.S. buyer could range from 0% to almost 10%. So the seller doesn't know the eBay fee until the item sells, and not at the time the seller sets a price.

Right?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: T/F: sales tax unknown, and so seller fee unknown at time of listing?

You rang? Sorry, to what end do you need me? The question in my OP was answered. if (change of topic) my selling limits won't allow my price, will you folks tell me how to get the limit increased?

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.  I pretty much knew that already.

As another poster mentioned, even if the state sales tax is a whopping 10%, you are saying that knowing that information in advance might keep a seller from listing his item?  

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@brecs wrote:

You rang? Sorry, to what end do you need me? The question in my OP was answered. if (change of topic) my selling limits won't allow my price, will you folks tell me how to get the limit increased?

You can't right now.  You need at least 30 days worth of active selling experience first.

When a seller desires to increase their selling limits, they are allowed to request an increase once every 30 days. Mark your calendar and every 30 days request an increase until you have your selling limit well above anything you think you will ever need. Below is a link to where you can go to ask for a selling limit increase. It is the third option in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp/sl

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

It appears from following the link you provided, and, through it, getting info, that my current limit as a newbie is 1,000 items and $25,000 per month.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@brecs wrote:

It appears from following the link you provided, and, through it, getting info, that my current limit as a newbie is 1,000 items and $25,000 per month.

That is a pretty high limit for a new seller.  

By the way that would be up to 1,000 listings that total no more than $25,000 for a 30 day period.  So if you are going to list things that you want to sell for around $2500 each, you will be able to list 10 listings.

Good Luck!!

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Then are sellers agreeing with this problem?  I don't appreciate being charged a fee on Tax, also.    Not to mention fees being charged a fee against the higher (non-discounted eBay Label fee).  How does this get resolved?  Legal is Legal, Fraud is Fraud. Help if I'm incorrect.  

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@pr-122677 wrote:

Then are sellers agreeing with this problem?  I don't appreciate being charged a fee on Tax, also.    Not to mention fees being charged a fee against the higher (non-discounted eBay Label fee).  How does this get resolved?  Legal is Legal, Fraud is Fraud. Help if I'm incorrect.  

@pr-122677 

I respect that you don't like paying FVFs on Sales Tax, not many of us do, but that does not mean that it is illegal for Ebay to do that.  The two are not the same.

You will find that many sellers agree with you and we don't like paying FVFs on sales tax or shipping paid by the buyer.  Again, that doesn't make it illegal.

There is no "fraud" here.  You can see all the details in the policy for Selling fees.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

But if you firmly believe that there is something illegal here, the first place to start is find what law you think they are breaking.  Just to say it is illegal means nothing really, you have to prove it.  And if you think you are the first person to try this, you'd be wrong.  

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Whether you like it or not, it is the way things are and will continue to be most likely, and it's both legal and not fraudulent in the least.  No one likes eBay's fees, but most of us accept them as a cost of doing business.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

eBay's fee schedule, as well as eBay's rules, are well detailed in several locations for sellers to read, preferably before they begin to list and sell on eBay.  If a seller doesn't find these to his liking, he is free to sell elsewhere.

There is nothing to resolve.  There is nothing illegal here and no fraud involved.

Best of luck to you wherever you decide to sell.  

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

And the seller doesn't know the shipping cost until the item sells either.  Your point is . . .? 

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@brecs wrote:

(Brand new seller)

As best I can tell, the seller fee on an item is based on the total amount the buyer pays, including sales tax.  The sales tax rate to a U.S. buyer could range from 0% to almost 10%. So the seller doesn't know the eBay fee until the item sells, and not at the time the seller sets a price.

@brecs

I see you got some of the brusque and denigrating answers habitual responders normally give when  certain types of questions are posted here, especially when they pertain to the true costs of selling - Its an undeserved and sad thing.

I personally believe they are paid employees, or plants - Its easier for me to wrap my head around that, then to believe they are just people sitting at home with absolutely nothing better to do than admonish and contend with anyone who would dare bring anything regarding the trappings of the site to light, regardless of its veracity.

Since you are new, I would add you should be well aware of the buyer scams when it comes to selling high/higher dollar items here - Make sure you follow protocol and get signature delivery on anything over $750 and do not ship to any addresses other than the address on the account you sold to - ebay has a 100% Money Back Guarantee for buyers and if someone wants to return an item due to "item not as described", You HAVE to accept the return and if you get a rock in a box back, it will be your loss - Since you are not a high volume seller, that gives you time to put some due-diligence into vetting your buyer - Best of luck to you

Message 26 of 26
latest reply