cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super disappointed in the Ebay Open 2022

This event is supposed to be for sellers to ask questions and dealing with selling challenges.....thus far the keynotes are entirely scripted and have not addressed any topics such as lack of sales, site updates, scam buyers etc etc etc......

The chat on the sessions have many posts that are the same.

Ebay you need to do a better job here and offer a platform where sellers can respectfully discuss the selling issues we see every single day.   Please do not continue to gloss over some of the serious and underlying issues that are hurting the platform

HK

Message 1 of 181
latest reply
180 REPLIES 180

Re: Super disappointed in the Ebay Open 2022

@mam98031 wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

Or what is called noise by them that are in high places: and they do not want to here it of read it....

Oh they have special teams assigned to the 'noise'. You know, the kind that does conspiracy, will send insects or bloody pig masks to your house, make threats to your family, or try to coerce you in to meeting them alone at a hotel.

Ebay has NOT used that word in decades.  Unsure as to why some sellers just won't let it go.  It doesn't benefit anyone to stay STUCK in the past.  And those people involved in the HORRIBLE treatment of some really nice people are also no longer at Ebay and some are even in JAIL for their part in it.  Again it helps nothing to stay stuck in the past.

0c4

...had to do it. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 136 of 181
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

I understand, but as I said before, Ebay Open has never been what some here want it to be.  It never has been.  So sure they can be disappointed but it is what it has always been.

I sure would prefer a conference that addressed real issues on the site.  I would love that.  It just isn't what Ebay Open was ever designed for.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 137 of 181
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

That saying is so old.  "Noise".  That CEO is LONG GONE.  Ebay doesn't bring it up but posters sure do from time to time.  We all need to get past it.  It happened a very long time ago by someone that clearly had issues with the way he thought of others.  So can't we give this one up yet.  What purpose does it serve to continue with it?

feedback in the industry is always been called NOISE.

And they do not want to here it.  If they want to hear it they would ask for it: that of course is avoided.

You are absolutely correct.  By the sellers.  It started off with Ebay CEO that has been gone a long time and it remains something that many sellers just can't let it die in the past.  It was a bad saying back when it started and repeating it doesn't improve it.

Message 138 of 181
latest reply

@paraquip 

This goes to a misunderstanding or expectations of Ebay Open that Ebay has never said it would be.  You want one thing but Ebay never said they were doing what you wanted at Ebay Open.  So to be blunt, you set yourself up for this disappointment.

And as I explained earlier in this thread.  The reduction is sellers should not be a surprise to anyone.  We picked up a bunch of sellers during 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic.  For many of them there lives are getting back to normal and they simply don't need to sell on Ebay anymore.

The more alarming number is the reduction in buyers.  It is at a lever lower than we were BEFORE the pandemic.  To me that is the real cause for concern.  Where did our buyers go????

Message 139 of 181
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

I understand, but as I said before, Ebay Open has never been what some here want it to be.  It never has been.  So sure they can be disappointed but it is what it has always been.

I sure would prefer a conference that addressed real issues on the site.  I would love that.  It just isn't what Ebay Open was ever designed for.

@mam98031 are we all just supposed to forget eBay Open 2018 where CEO Devin Wenig sat on a stage in front of an audience of sellers and got asked point blank "There've been a lot of site glitches recently on eBay. What are you guys doing to get rid of them?

Obviously his response about being **bleep** off about the glitches and making changes to staff because of it didn't really do much to fix the glitches, but it is an example of how yes, at past Opens, there were at least sometimes opportunities to address real issues on the site.

I'm sure those who attended past opens in person can give you many more examples if you require it.

While I don't expect eBay is going to go back to a large in person event like it was in the past, with technology there is no reason what so ever that they couldn't have had Jamie taking questions live.

Do you truly not see any problem at all with a CEO saying "my favorite thing in the world is meeting sellers" on a pre-recorded video played at a seller conference that as far as I can tell he didn't even actually "attend" by any objective definition of that word?

Like I said, I don't expect them to stand up on stage for a public flogging and obviously questions would be moderated and truly disruptive people should not be allowed, but as someone else said, adult conversations should be allowed and even welcomed.

The question about glitches I think is a great example of how that can be done - I'm sure the "suggestion box" for questions had many variations on that theme, some probably not expressed quite so diplomatically, but they knew there was enough public pressure that they had to address it in some way.

Message 140 of 181
latest reply

"are we all just supposed to forget eBay Open 2018 where CEO Devin Wenig sat on a stage in front of an audience of sellers and got asked point blank "There've been a lot of site glitches recently on eBay. What are you guys doing to get rid of them?"  If you are asking me personally.  I simply don't consider what Wenig said back then.  He is no longer in charge and left rather disgraced too.  Unlikely those that came after him followed his examples.

But that is me personally.  For those that choose to hang onto things that previous CEOs have said about the company that is your decision to make.  For me I live in the present and if it doesn't appear to be affecting me anymore what these previous CEOs have said, I very willingly let it go.

This year they had some smaller in person Ebay Open events around the US.  But yes I agree and I think they even said it in the Ebay Open that they are unlikely to go back to the old format because they are getting a much larger attendance with a virtual Open.

All I am saying is that the Ebay Open has not been an event historically that is for discussing glitches in the system.  So those that are disappointed that they didn't do this have just set themselves up for that disappointment because Ebay simply doesn't do that at the Ebay Opens.

That isn't to say it would be FANTASTIC to have some kind of Summit between Ebay management and Sellers to air issues.  If there would be someway to insure everyone would stay civil and have civil discussions, I think this would be beyond fantastic.  

Message 141 of 181
latest reply

@allthingssurplus 

Unfortunately, there is no way to fix the problems with the site, as it stands.  It has been 'fixed', over the years, beyond the possibility of repair.  It needs to be re-written.  They need to start fresh, with competent programmers that know what they are doing and what is needed.  (It would cost 'money')  ebay has never been a cutting edge tech corp.  Some of their vendors, at one time, may have been called that, and that is what they were touting.

(personal opinion - your mileage may vary)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 142 of 181
latest reply

I couldn't agree more on your take on PL. . 

Message 143 of 181
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

"are we all just supposed to forget eBay Open 2018 where CEO Devin Wenig sat on a stage in front of an audience of sellers and got asked point blank "There've been a lot of site glitches recently on eBay. What are you guys doing to get rid of them?"  If you are asking me personally.  I simply don't consider what Wenig said back then.  He is no longer in charge and left rather disgraced too.  Unlikely those that came after him followed his examples.

But that is me personally.  For those that choose to hang onto things that previous CEOs have said about the company that is your decision to make.  For me I live in the present and if it doesn't appear to be affecting me anymore what these previous CEOs have said, I very willingly let it go.

This year they had some smaller in person Ebay Open events around the US.  But yes I agree and I think they even said it in the Ebay Open that they are unlikely to go back to the old format because they are getting a much larger attendance with a virtual Open.

All I am saying is that the Ebay Open has not been an event historically that is for discussing glitches in the system.  So those that are disappointed that they didn't do this have just set themselves up for that disappointment because Ebay simply doesn't do that at the Ebay Opens.

That isn't to say it would be FANTASTIC to have some kind of Summit between Ebay management and Sellers to air issues.  If there would be someway to insure everyone would stay civil and have civil discussions, I think this would be beyond fantastic.  

@mam98031  - you completely missed the point.

You said eBay Open has never been a place for sellers to give critical feedback to execs or to air issues and have them addressed. I was simply providing one example that pretty clearly shows that's not the case - irrespective of what you think of Wenig or any other past CEO.

While there may not be videos of it on YouTube like there are of the Wenig example, I've heard plenty of stories from sellers who attended past eBay Opens who said the best part was the ability to interact directly with execs and talk about issues facing sellers - again I'm sure plenty of people here can give you examples of that.

My comment wasn't really about Wenig specifically, or the disgrace that he was, it was simply providing one of I'm sure many counter-examples to your assertion that historically "Ebay simply doesn't do that at the Ebay Opens".

If you didn't want to talk about what has happened at past events or been said by past CEOS....not sure why you brought up what has "historically" happened at these events?

But ok, we'll go with the current guy in charge instead. Does it not seem at least a little disingenuous for Jamie to say "my favorite thing in the world is meeting sellers" on a pre-recorded video at a 3 day conference where he wasn't actually there to engage directly in any way with the sellers actually attending the event?

If it doesn't affect you, great - you're entitled to say you don't care about it. But there are many sellers who *are* being affected by many of the serious issues on this site right now who have every right to say they are disappointed that this year's eBay Open event didn't address any of those issues and no, that's not their fault.

Message 144 of 181
latest reply

OK, I didn't say that no one ever made a statement at an Open about issues on the site.  Comments were made off and on throughout this Ebay Open too.  But there was never a session or part of the Open in which we were enabled to discuss these issues.

So OK if you want to go with statements being made, yes there have been many over in past years at various Ebay Opens. Likely without exception.  But I am unaware of any one of them having a session on site issues which appears from this thread would be a very popular thing to have.  And I agree with them that it would be a very good thing.  But simply they don't do that at an Ebay Open.

Message 145 of 181
latest reply

I still want to know why there is no TV advertising for eBay?

PL for sellers... TV Promotion Advertisements  from eBay!

Message 146 of 181
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

OK, I didn't say that no one ever made a statement at an Open about issues on the site.  Comments were made off and on throughout this Ebay Open too.  But there was never a session or part of the Open in which we were enabled to discuss these issues.

@mam98031  I'm not sure anyone called for a specific session on site issues, though certainly an open Q&A session likely would have ended up focusing on that a lot.

I think what most here would have liked to have seen at the very least is, in relevant sessions about different parts of the site, for there to have been acknowledgement of some of the issues that sellers are experiencing and specific information about what is being done about those issues or what new features might be coming up to address those issues/pain points rather than the head in the sand, "all is well" attitude we got from most sessions.

And like I said, it could easily be done in a positive way - like Amazon did many times at their seller conference.

To give just one example from that conference, but almost every session I attended was like this. Director GM Selling Partner Support gave a brief overview of some of the things they've done in the last year to improve support then said:

Selling partners who need our assistance can contact us via email, phone and chat...that said, we know we don't always get it right. We recognize that there are times where you feel stuck...

In these situations we always want to ensure that our seller partners have a reliable way to contact us directly with a concern. And I'm excited to share with you today a new feature, we are now developing in seller partner support.

We are soon launching in pilot, a new Escalate Your Case button. So when you raise this alarm with this button and you need help, your case will be routed directly to an escalation associate. These escalation associates are tenured, their highly experienced and they're going to be on call 24 by 7.

Now, to be clear, I am not at all saying that initiative or anything else they are doing over there is *actually* improving support and the seller experience, that's a whole other can of worms - but notice how he acknowledged a specific seller concern (feeling stuck/not getting help), acknowledged they don't always get it right, and then announced something aimed specifically at that concern?

Regardless of what ends up happening with that feature, I can tell you that moment received an overwhelmingly positive response from sellers both in person at the event and online. A little emotional intelligence goes a long way.

That is a great model for how eBay could have incorporated seller concerns into many different sessions, while still keeping it positive, and maybe even convinced some of us that they really do mean those "we hear you" and "we only win when you win" platitudes.

Message 147 of 181
latest reply

@craft-stash wrote:

there is, for ebay motors though, they have been running it for months now.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 148 of 181
latest reply

@craft-stash wrote:

I know, I agree.  I am hoping we start seeing them no later than the middle of next month.  Ebay knows this holiday season is setting up to be low sales because of the economy.  So hopefully we will see them more aggressively advertising the site.

Message 149 of 181
latest reply

Theres a diff between Tires and  Collectables!

Message 150 of 181
latest reply