cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Substitute Form W-9 Return via "email/banner link preferred"?????

Today, I received in the mail an IRS W-9 document requesting my TIN or SS#. 

This immediately raised red flags as there is no Ebay cover letter/instructions or heads-up notification that this request was coming. The return info implies that sending this form back via "email/banner link" is "preferred". I see no specific email addy or the existence of any "banner link".  However, there is a customer service # 800-456-3229.  Has anyone else gotten one of these and if they are legit, how did you return it? Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Substitute Form W-9 Return via "email/banner link preferred"?????

I am just shooting in the dark here, but IF ebay wanted a W-9, it would have been requested through the internal message system to insure that it was legitimate.

I may be wrong, but it only stands to reason....

You are right to question this.....there are a few members much smarter than me who may chime in.....

help?

U.S. Consumer Privacy Notice | eBay.com

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I agree there should have been some notice upfront this was coming.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I just re-read your post...

you mean postal mail?

there is a box there indicating the company and account number (yours) requesting the information....

w-9-sample.jpg

also, what email is indicated for a return?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If there's nothing stating its from ebay, I would contact ebay to verify, way too many scams out there. IRS states you shouldn't contact the number on the form but call them directly from a known number.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The form you posted is the regular IRS W-9 which you can look up on the IRS website. However, the IRS says  payors can use a Substitute W-9, which is what Ebay sent me.

Yes, hard copy was sent to me via the USPS. No instructions, but Customer Service 800-456 322 for questions. Fill it out and send at your cost to 

"Online via email/banner link (preferred)",

Ebay Commerce Inc.

Attn Ebay Tax Department

2145 Hamilton Ave,

San Jose, CA 95125.

If Ebay was going to drop these in the mail, there should have been a heads up of some kind.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

not defending ebay...but we get them all the time

(my brother's brick & mortar towing company)

from dealers/auto clubs, etc.....

If we do not reply, they withhold 20% of our payment.....

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I am not complaining about reporting profits to the IRS.

My issue is the way Ebay just stuck these in the mail with no warning, verification, confusion, instructions, or guidance.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

That phone number is the official Ebay Phone Number for Tax issues- as stated on the newest 1099 received. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yes I received one too and I never received any messages stating anything about this at all and my biggest complaint with this is why do  I have to fill out this paper and mail it back, shouldn't eBay have some sort of online/digital/electronic way to do this instead? Also, what is this even for, why did we receive these? 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hi, I just contacted eBay and yes, this is legit and it is from them. You can call the number listed on the form and get over to the Tax Dept they can give you an email address with subject line info so that you can fill out the form, take a picture of it with your phone and email it to them to the provided email address. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I have gotten one of these a few months back.  Ebay issues them when the IRS notifies them that they need to because there is a question on some info that was originally submitted by you [me].  For me, it is because on all my daily financial stuff I use my married last name, but on my legal docs and on my SS I use my maiden name and my married name.

I easily resolved this by submitting it online.  You can do that too.  I would never email this kind of information.  No one would ever be able to get me to do that.  But in this policy [link below] there is a place to click on so you can submit the info easily.  It will only take less than a minute of your time.

Why did I receive a First B Notice request via mail to submit a W-9?

If you’ve sold goods through eBay and the total sales exceed the IRS threshold, the IRS requires us to send you a Form 1099-K. When your name and SSN, ITIN, or EIN on your eBay account doesn’t match the IRS’s records, you’ll receive a B Notice (notice of backup withholding) through USPS.

eBay sends B Notices to the address on your eBay account. If you haven’t received a First B Notice in the mail, or if you need to verify and update the information in your account, you can fill out an electronic Form W-9. You can do so through Seller Hub or My eBay. If you received a Second B Notice, you can upload a copy of your SSN Card, IRS Letter 147C, or IRS Letter 685C through Seller Hub or My eBay. Please contact us if you need additional help with the electronic Form W-9, downloading and submitting the Form W-9, or uploading additional documents.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/changes-to-ebay-and-your-1099-k#:~:text=For%20everything....

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 12
latest reply