cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold a $100 U.S. Dollar Bill to a buyer with zero feedback.

I sold a $100 dollar bill to a buyer with zero feedback. Although they paid, I am afraid they used a bad form of payment that will be reversed and I will be stuck with nothing and they will be up $100. What should I do? Do I ship the item and take my chances?

Help! Looking for advice.

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Sold a $100 U.S. Dollar Bill to a buyer with zero feedback.

Okay... Thanks for the comments... I'm done.

Message 46 of 69
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

@coastaltechsolution 

It's a "small face" pre-"1996 design change" $100 Federal Reserve Note / $100 bill. As more pre-1996 FRNs / bills are removed from circulation those which remain in circulation become more desirable.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=1990+small+face+%24100+bi...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1990+small+face+%24100+bill&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&...

Message 47 of 69
latest reply

@fromnorth2southReally? I have a few of these from the ATM I went to last week. Ka ching!

Message 48 of 69
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc 

Guess you are buying the first round for the board 😁

Message 49 of 69
latest reply

It's admittedly a niche market but they do sell.

Message 50 of 69
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@duffy4444 wrote:

What's the problem with this seller not wanting to go thru with a sale that has set off an alarm in his head FOR WHATEVER REASON?

Don't push a seller into going against his better judgment, when taking the risk is something that you would do. It's not your $100 bill - it's his and his prerogative to do what he wants . . .

According to eBay's order cancellation policy, there are four reasons a seller can cancel a transaction:

When a seller can cancel an order

A seller can cancel an order if:

• The buyer asks to cancel the order and they haven't shipped the item yet
  • The buyer hasn't paid within the time allowed
  • The buyer used the wrong shipping address when they completed their purchase
  • The item is out of stock (this will result in a transaction defect)

Which of the reason above would the OP have to legitimately cancel this order?...

We don't know if this seller wants to cancel the transaction. But  IF  he wishes to cancel a transaction such as this, he would most likely use the "out of stock" option (easily defended). Ebay states the penalty for occasionally doing so is just a transaction defect... Not a major online sales jail-term infraction, as some would compare it to.

This seasoned OP seller could probably handle a few of these cancellations and not hurt his performance metrics a whole lot. It doesn't sound like he is a seller who wants to cancel transactions left and right in a willy-nilly fashion. He says he wants to complete this order and maybe ship it, but he has a legitimate concern about the payment method. I would, too.

As just one possible example, could it be that he's concerned about a CC chargeback? This forum has way too many heartbreaking loss complaints about CC chargebacks and the nearly automatic loss of the seller's payment along with the loss of the item.

For this seller, that would amount to upwards of $300 when selling fees, shipping costs and additional chargeback costs are added in if he fights it. And CC chargebacks is but one of the many buyer scams that eBay is not adequately confronting, which naturally raises red flags to many sellers.

Once again, eBay, how about offering sellers optional scamming insurance, for a reasonable fee, against these rising scams? Your bottom line profits would improve when droves of sellers would again pay for scam insurance and resume listing their higher-value items with the buyer scam risks greatly improved or even eliminated. And that's just one suggestion... but doing next to nothing to help sellers against scams is simply not cutting it, and is mainly responsible for sellers instantly being leery about buyers with 0 feedback.

I haven't even touched on the high cost associated with mental, emotional, trust in eBay, and loss of time ramifications associated with having to go to the effort of filing and following up with police and FBI reports, USPS mail fraud claims, returned box-of-rocks insults, and a myriad of other scams that pepper this forum and the shipping and returns forums.  

Knowing that all buyers start out with 0 feedback, I personally assess the risk of selling and shipping to them, and in the vast majority of such sales will follow thru with the transaction risk. But not with anything that I am not prepared to lose. Wisdom and risk assessment are the keys, and sometimes we have to think and go outside the box to protect ourselves when eBay won't.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 51 of 69
latest reply

@duffy4444 

I agree that there is a risk (no matter how the buyer pays) and understand the OP's concerns. I just wondered why  the payment method was so important to the OP. I mean, the risk remains with all... maybe excluding cash on pickup, no?

Message 52 of 69
latest reply

The payment method wasn't the concern. It was "is the unusual" or "does this happen often" with zero feedback and a Currency transaction.

And what does OP stand for?

I sent the item, so let's see what happens.

Message 53 of 69
latest reply

OP - Original Poster? Just thinking.

Message 54 of 69
latest reply

@scotski 

Sorry... the OP is the Original Poster... You! (It's easier for me to use OP than to guess whether to use 'him' or 'her'.)

... I can't tell you how many times I've had to google acronyms just to be in the loop. 😁

Message 55 of 69
latest reply

I believe "OP" stands for Original Post" person -- you!

Some others may have other definitions, but that's the one that makes the most sense to me... I scratched my head way back over its meaning when I started joining this forum, too.

Cheers

Message 56 of 69
latest reply

I can't see the listing but it seems to me that it wasn't worth selling for that price at all. Between fees and shipping, there's very little left over.

Not worth the risk or the worry.

Message 57 of 69
latest reply

@scotski wrote:

The payment method wasn't the concern. It was "is the unusual" or "does this happen often" with zero feedback and a Currency transaction.

@scotski  Let us know what happens.  You got some great advice from a bunch of posters here, but it all comes down to payments taken through the managed payments program are recognised payment instruments (credit cards, apple pay, google pay (I think), debit, etc.).  eBay doesn't (as far as I know) tell you which card, for instance, they used.  If you have a notice that the customer has paid and it is in pending payments that means it's approved by the original payment source and you're good to go. 

The other, the 0 feedback buyer, yes people do sign up here to purchase certain things - the bill you sold may have some special significance to them, be filling in a hole in their collection or whatever.  I collect as well (antique books and newspapers) and understand the mindset.  I've sold to a number of 0 feedbackers and it has always gone well.

As for whether the transaction itself will be legit - it is legit at this point, and there's an overwhelming chance that it will be fine.

If something happens, come back here for help - though a number of posters have detailed info upthread for you.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 58 of 69
latest reply

@scotski wrote:

You said in you original post:  "I sold a $100 dollar bill to a buyer with zero feedback. Although they paid, I am afraid they used a bad form of payment that will be reversed and I will be stuck with nothing and they will be up $100. What should I do? Do I ship the item and take my chances?"

So you can see why most people here, and I'm one of them, thought the payment method was, indeed, your concern.

Since you've now shipped, the only comment I can make is that you may want to reconsider selling this kind of currency, as it seems to me that your return is too small in relation to your risk.

=

Message 59 of 69
latest reply

Message 60 of 69
latest reply