cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what's the word on False SNADs? Can anything be done?

Last I heard was CSR no longer have the power (if they ever did) to change a return from a SNAD to remorse, even when the reason given by the buyer is "doesn't fit".

So is there ANY thing a seller can do in this case where they should NOT have to front the return shipping and original shipping?

Asking for a friend who asked on FB and got told to "accept the return & pay the shipping"............really eBay?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: So what's the word on False SNADs? Can anything be done?

The trend with most eCommerce sites is that buyers get all the perks including a free ship back if they simply do not like it, does not fit, wrong color, wrong anything. Ebay follows suit with this to keep up with all these buyers expectations for a completely hassle free experience including seller flipping the bill for the return shipping. Just another cost of doing business. Add the costs spread out throught your inventory to make up the loss. People will Snad, gad, blab, confab, to avoid paying extra to ship back something they do not want. Did I answer that right?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@vintagecraze50wrote:

Did I answer that right?

That's the Corner Office Dweller line, but that doesn't make it 'right'.

Most of those other sites own and ship their own product.  Some have marketplaces for other sellers, but even most of those are large companies.  Almost none are individual, home based sellers.

This site owns and ships NOTHING.  Absolute Zero product.  I see no justification at all for them mandating returns at all.  They have no grounds for determining who should accept returns, when, how or under what conditions.

As to the original thread question, I have yet to see a more or less foolproof plan for a third party (customer service) to be able to determine who (buyer or seller) is or isn't more truthful in disputes.  There are all sorts of indicators such as number of transactions, time registered, previous history of disputes, etc. to help determine credibility.  And there are messages between the two parties that should be used, but often aren't.  Ultimately, I'm not sure CS should even be involved in most returns.  The seller should be able to make those decisions and have them stick.  Only in cases of alleged fraud or deliberate deception should CS 'step in'.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Chrys although I do agree with your last statement that Sellers should handle their own returns - the other venues I think she may be referring to are the popular mobile sites - which do indeed accept returns without the seller's input as well as the River. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I still remember the days when buyers paid return shipping on anything they sent back, and the mantra was always "if it is truly SNAD a good seller will reimburse the shipping" and it was true, but unfortunately a lot of sellers wouldn't and so we got the seller pays shipping returns.

It was said at the time it would increase returns and it has.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Back to my original OP though - the buyer has ADMITTED the reason for return is a remorse reason, so WHY does the seller have to pay?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Far be it for me to be the words of wisdom with my experience but....

If your friend has already messaged back the buyer something along the lines of, sorry, the terms of your buyers agreement states that a fit issue does not mandate my (seller) paying for the return,.   Tell them to return it, at their expense, and upon, receipt, refund.

If she does not send the item back, you do not have to refund her.

If she escalates it to EBAY, use the verbiage in the user agreement (IF THERE IS ONE, NEED OTHERS TO VERIFY AND STEP IN) that this is a clearly stated buyers remorse return and that the return shipping fee is on her.

That way, your friend is not out the shipping, both ways.

SO: 1st correspondance to buyer:

Dear Buyer.  I am sorry to hear your item does not fit.  Please return for a full refund.  

Wait for a response.   If there is none, let it go.  If she says, you need to pay for the return shipping or asks if she will be refunded for the shipping answer along the lines of:

Your terms of sale in the EBAY agreement state that a fit issue does not mandate my funding the return of your item.     Please return the item to me, and, upon receipt, I will refund you the price of said item, less shipping fees.   

If I have understood the countless threads on returns, this is the way, I understand, it SHOULD work.

Anyone?

Buyer has already opened a return "request"
Reason: "item not as described/damaged"
Comments: "doesn't fit"
(Measurements and photo of size are in the listing description.)

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

No recourse anymore.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

That one won't fly.  Buyer can just say the measurements were inaccurate.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Hard to advise you.   Seems like those in the know are saying she needs to just accept the return and be out the shipping costs, too.

I can say, from personal experience, I have purchased several items of clothing online (from EBAY but other sites too) and wasn’t particularly happy with either the general fit or the over-all look of the item.    That said, I can count on one hand the amount of times I actually returned the item.  NONE on EBAY.  That was even before I was a seller.     

When I am most comfortable returning is for a very high priced item for a special occasion, OR if I order 500.00 worth of 45-65 dollar items and a few don’t fit.   I feel, in that case, they have more than gotten their money from me by the totality of my order and it is always big stores that have the resources to absorb those costs.  (Obviously never worn, just tried on and returned.)

I thought I read a post by a blue sometime recently that if it was a false SNAD the seller could appeal the return after the case was closed with a refund and get their shipping refunded by eBay.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@lookng2015  The SNAD was created to allow Buyers to get their return shipping free ... soon, when Sellers offer Free Returns the number of SNADs will drop off.  Hopefully, the item can be resold in order to cut in to the loss from the first transaction.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I recently had to deal with the same issue. A woman initiated a return on a necklace, even though my listings specifically state "NO RETURNS", and "If you have a problem with your item contact me first via the eBay messaging system".

The "reason" checkbox marked was "not as described/damaged"...the buyer's "reason" in the comment? "It just doesn't match my bracelet."

How is that MY fault? I had not had any returns ever before this. None! I describe my items to an annoying degree! The photos are as clear and well presented as I can make them. I now have a black mark that implies I was dishonest in my listing, just because this person says it doesn't match something she already owned???? This is why I have always said no returns, and no shipping outside the US. I'm not doing this for fun...I'm trying to survive here!
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@lookng2015wrote:
Back to my original OP though - the buyer has ADMITTED the reason for return is a remorse reason, so WHY does the seller have to pay?

That’s the million dollar question. It appears the procedure has changed several times recently and I can’t keep up anymore. First we were told that customer service could have the buyer pay for return shipping (I assume CS could convert the SNAD to remorse). Then CS couldn’t convert the SNAD anymore. And now I *think* the policy is that the seller can ask for the return shipping charge to be reimbursed after the buyer returns the item and gets their refund? 

With all the changes and backtracking, who can keep up anymore?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 15 of 21
latest reply