cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So ebay wants their money before the money back garuantee runs out?

I sold an item a little over a week ago with no returns accepted and the buyer received it last Friday.

I get an invoice today and ebay will take their cut by the 17th yet their Money Back Guarantee doesn't run out for a week and a half later.

How does that work if the buyer decides he doesn't want it and says its defective and ebay auto refunds them? Do they refund their cut as well?

Just my opinion but I think if they are enforcing the MBG they should wait 31 days just as I have to wait 30 days for the transaction to officially complete. It just confuses things.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: So ebay wants their money before the money back garuantee runs out?

Do you want to wait 31 days to get your share of the sale?

FYI - If a sale is cancelled or a buyer makes a return eBay DOES refund their fees (all except the 30 cent fixed fee).

FYI #2 - while the MBG technically ends 30 days after receipt a buyer can open a claim directly with the payment method they used (for PayPal 180 days, for credit card payments at least as long).

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You do understand that the eBay MBG is jut one of many avenues that buyers have to dispute their transaction? There is a PP dispute if the buyer used PP. There is a CC chargeback if they used a CC. You can get the triple whammy of a eBay MBG, if that is denied and they used PP, then a PP chargeback,  and if they used a CC via PP, another chargeback if all else fails. This can go on for upward of 180 days, not just the 30 day eBay MBG.

Any time I have had a refund situation, so long as I have co-operated and am refunding in full, eBay has paid their portion of the payment so I am not out more cash than I initially received - dependent of course on how the shipping was paid and whether the return requires me to pay for the return shipping.

Also -  there is no such thing as no returns on eBay. You can say you will not accept remorse returns, but eBay does not require buyers to prove that an item was SNAD, and most buyers know that claiming SNAD is the way to get around the "no returns" if they have just changed their minds.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@samsmoke wrote:

I sold an item a little over a week ago with no returns accepted and the buyer received it last Friday.

I get an invoice today and ebay will take their cut by the 17th yet their Money Back Guarantee doesn't run out for a week and a half later.

How does that work if the buyer decides he doesn't want it and says its defective and ebay auto refunds them? Do they refund their cut as well?

Just my opinion but I think if they are enforcing the MBG they should wait 31 days just as I have to wait 30 days for the transaction to officially complete. It just confuses things.

Thanks

Man I can here the users screaming about such a plan: Hey they holding me money: I dont get it NOW... and so on.

Well at least its a change to see some one willing to wait to get their money.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@samsmoke wrote:

Thanks

eBay generally does not "auto refund" a buyer.

For a "remorse" return, the return can be declined if the seller has "no refunds".

For an "INAD" (defect, or not as described) the seller with "no returns" has choices: 

1) Accept, and refund when the item is returned. (seller fees credited)

2) Offer a partial refund(buyer keeps item)  (seller may get partial fee credit by calling eBay)

3) Refund without return.   (seller fees credited)

4) Do nothing (ignore the dispute), and eBay will refund the buyer with the seller's funds, and may, or may not require the buyer to return the item. (seller fees not credited)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply