cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Sniping is a violation of eBay policy, but like most eBay policies little is done by eBay management to enforce its own rules.  Maybe a boycott of eBay for a week will get management's attention.  I am considering cancelling my eBay account , not because I've been sniped repeatedly, but because eBay has a "we don't care as long as we aremaking money" policy.  I don't sell on eBay because of the excessive fees for listing items.  If I don't close my account, I may keep it open just to increase eBay administrative costs and non-income.

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sniping MUST be stopped.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Suggest you search sniping in eBay...It IS a Violation...and you sound like a person who snipes as a common behavior.  Bid YOUR highest amount and don't snipe.   Even easier.

Bid sniping on eBay (eBay FAQ)

Bid sniping—including the use of software that places bids for you—is allowed on eBay

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 62 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Not against policy

I rarely bid, but when I do its' in the last 10 seconds, and there is no policy against doing such.

A bid can be place any time  up until the auction ends.

Message 2 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Shill bids are illegal and against eBay policy, bid sniping is not.

eBay policy on Bid Sniping 

Message 3 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Not against policy. One of the few things which keep Ebay auctions alive.

Been a major part of Ebay auctions for many, many years.

Bid the maximum you are willing to pay, Ebay will automatically bid until you lose. Sometimes you might win when there is no one willing to bid more than you are.

Message 4 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

If you're losing auctions, it's not because of sniping, it's because you're not bidding enough and someone else wanted it more than you did. It doesn't matter whether they place their bid 5 hours or 5 seconds before the auction ends... if they bid more than you, they're going to win.

Message 5 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Sure thing, and make nibbling against policy too.

One bid per user per auction, is what it should be.

Message 6 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

I'm sorry if you happened to be one of the bidders who really wanted any of those 6 auctions I sniped this morning.  If you want a better shot at beating me, use a sniper bot like I do.  I'll even give you the name of the one I use: 'Just Snipe dot com.'  It is Fisher Price easy to use, and you can use it 5 times a week FOR FREE.  However I find the perks of the premium version well worth the 6 bucks a month.  -Keep in mind, even using a sniper bot can't guarantee you'll win; it is just superior to proxy bidding when you DO win, because you'll win with the lowest-dollar-amount winning bid possible.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 10.42.44 PM.png

Message 7 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

You can even snipe with the ebay app. 
@ebooksdiva wrote:

Shill bids are illegal and against eBay policy, bid sniping is not.

eBay policy on Bid Sniping 

Message 8 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Sellers love snipers.

They don't always win, but a late sniping bid, forces the slowpoke nibble bidder to their max.
And as mentioned above, many of those snipers bid well before the nibblers, when they set their bid with a service that will activate the bid in the last nano-seconds of the auction.

Bid once.

Bid your maximum.

(Don't forget sales tax and shipping!)

Bid late.

Message 9 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Sniping is a violation of eBay policy, but like most eBay policies little is done by eBay management to enforce its own rules.  Maybe a boycott of eBay for a week will get management's attention.  I am considering cancelling my eBay account , not because I've been sniped repeatedly, but because eBay has a "we don't care as long as we aremaking money" policy.  I don't sell on eBay because of the excessive fees for listing items.  If I don't close my account, I may keep it open just to increase eBay administrative costs and non-income.

The overwhelming majority of ebay users no longer participate in auction format at all, either as a buyer or a seller. There will be no boycott over this. There are also no rules against it.

Your account status open or closed costs ebay the exact same amount of money which for a buyer is essentially zero. 

Message 10 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

…I don't sell on eBay because of the excessive fees for listing items.”

eBay fees are downright affordable compared to auction houses with seller premiums sometimes as high as 50% of the final hammer price. (Buyers get charged a premium as well.) But to get the benefits of an established platform, selling is not free. I price my items accordingly and do not begrudge eBay the fees every business needs to remain profitable.

(FYI in February, Sotheby’s announced it has overhauled its auction fees to 10% of the item’s sale price for items under $5 million.)

Message 11 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Okay, see ya in a week!

Message 12 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

@gurlcat wrote:

It is Fisher Price easy to use…”

Brilliant turn of phrase!!

Message 13 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Sniping is a violation of eBay policy, 

@brothacker1974 

I'd be interested in reading the part of the policy that you (and so many other bidders) read and came to the conclusion that there's a policy disallowing sniping.

IMO, it's the ONLY way to bid on an auction!

In fact, although I don't participate in auction listings too often nowadays, there were times in the early days of ebay when I'd set my alarm for 3:30 in the morning to snipe an auction that ended at 3:35! (And FWIW, I won several times that way!)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 88
latest reply

Sniping MUST be stopped.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Sniping is a violation of eBay policy

Absolutely not true. How did you get that idea?

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Maybe a boycott of eBay for a week will get management's attention.

That will not happen.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

I am considering cancelling my eBay account , not because I've been sniped repeatedly, but because eBay has a "we don't care as long as we are making money" policy.

First of all stop bidding too early. All you are doing is giving everyone else a chance to outbid you - or at least post nibble bids until they give up - so that even if you do win eventually you will be paying more than if you had just sat on your hands until near the end. Otherwise you are simply posting a hidden high bid that others will try to approach.

Second - of course Ebay wants to make money. If they somehow managed to figure out how to block sniping bids (how would YOU block sniping bids?) that would just result in less money for the seller and less money for Ebay - so no - that is not going to happen.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

I don't sell on eBay because of the excessive fees for listing items.

You have compared Ebay fees (and the worldwide visibility) to other selling platforms?

@brothacker1974 wrote:

If I don't close my account, I may keep it open just to increase eBay administrative costs and non-income.

That will not happen either.

Message 15 of 88
latest reply