cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Sniping is a violation of eBay policy, but like most eBay policies little is done by eBay management to enforce its own rules.  Maybe a boycott of eBay for a week will get management's attention.  I am considering cancelling my eBay account , not because I've been sniped repeatedly, but because eBay has a "we don't care as long as we aremaking money" policy.  I don't sell on eBay because of the excessive fees for listing items.  If I don't close my account, I may keep it open just to increase eBay administrative costs and non-income.

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Sniping MUST be stopped.

I agree with sealed bid option completely, but I doubt some sellers would be in favor.  In my experience, most snipe bidders have low purchase numbers and are newbies to eBay...

Message 61 of 88
latest reply

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Suggest you search sniping in eBay...It IS a Violation...and you sound like a person who snipes as a common behavior.  Bid YOUR highest amount and don't snipe.   Even easier.

Bid sniping on eBay (eBay FAQ)

Bid sniping—including the use of software that places bids for you—is allowed on eBay

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 62 of 88
latest reply

You're back!!!

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Suggest you search sniping in eBay...It IS a Violation.

I asked you 2 days ago (page 1, post  14 ) to please post a link to the policy that states that sniping is a violation! 

I'll request it again.

(FWIW, if I bid on an auction, I do snipe and I do it manually. I've never used a sniping service.) 

ETA: I'll make it easy for you @brothacker1974 . Here's the page that describes sniping. NOWHERE does it say it's a violation! 

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bid-sniping?id=4224&st=3&pos=1&query=Bid%20sniping&intent=s...

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 63 of 88
latest reply

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Suggest you search sniping in eBay...It IS a Violation...

It is not: 

Sniping.jpg

Ref: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bid-sniping?id=4224 

Message 64 of 88
latest reply

@brothacker1974 wrote:

I agree with sealed bid option completely, but I doubt some sellers would be in favor.

The 'sealed bid' he was referring to is how Ebay auctions operate already: the winner is the person with the highest bid - not the latest. Sellers (of which I am one in another account) simply want a good price for the sale. It does not matter whether the winning bid is posted early or late because the highest one wins anyway. The only reason for a snipe bid is to prevent your competitors with deeper pockets from outbidding you. If your snipe bid is not high enough you will not win anyway.

@brothacker1974 wrote:

In my experience, most snipe bidders have low purchase numbers and are newbies to eBay...

Highly unlikely. Newbie bidders are the ones who get outbid by snipers.

So anyway - everybody and their brother seems able to disprove your claim about sniping by posting links here where Ebay states in their own words that it is okay. It seems that you found something that you either misread or misunderstood to mean that Ebay prohibits sniping when in fact they do not. If you can show us what it is you found then maybe this can be cleared up.

Message 65 of 88
latest reply

If a race car driver was winning most of the races against you because of a faster engine, what would you do?

A: Continue doing what you are doing and lose races.

B: Install at least the same or faster engine that the person winning against you is using.

With your kind of thinking, we should still be using pencils and paper instead of computers.

Message 66 of 88
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

If a race car driver was winning most of the races against you because of a faster engine, what would you do?

A: Continue doing what you are doing and lose races.

B: Install at least the same or faster engine that the person winning against you is using.

C: Demand that the racetrack prohibit those with faster engines from racing against you.

Message 67 of 88
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

@movieman630 wrote:

You don't need a bot if you're fast enough.

Oh I have catlike reflexes, problem is I have catlike sleeping patterns too (as in, no pattern).  Nothing like waking up at 4pm to drink good coffee and see what goodies I won while having anxiety dreams about chasing the mailman down the street (no those aren't dog dreams; they're the dreams of an eBay seller who worries about sleeping too late and forgetting to put pickups out).  

As well if you bid on a lot of things it's a lot easier to have a bot handle it all, there's no way I want to keep track of 10 or 20 auctions running some kind of concurrently and I have bids on them all... Not to mention, the bot takes a lot of the excitement out of it which lowers my stress and anxiety levels (which translates to not getting emotional in the process).

Too many people get emotional when bidding and then it becomes a game of war, and since that is what auctions often boil down to I play my game of war as a sniper.

YESSSSS.   That previous post where I said I'd sniped 6 auctions in the morning - it was actually more like 10 or 11, but I snipe-WON 6 of those.  Just letting the bot do it so I could wake up to a mix of "Yay!"s and "Aww poop!"s is so much better than the heart-racing act of trying to live-snipe.  I did that on a couple of other auctions just yesterday, because one of the unfortunate things about my sniper bot is you can't change your snipe bid less than 2 minutes before close, even with the paid membership (not sure why).  I got so mad that someone else found "my" honeypot seller and was daring to challenge me on these 2 auctions I really wanted, that I did exactly like you said -lost my head and started bidding emotionally.  And I still lost, but I will say it felt good to drive up my rival's winning bid amount by so much $ 😎.   And the seller deserves it too; honestly I've been "stealing" her stuff for so long and she's so great with packing, fast shipping, communicating, that I'm glad to see her get too expensive for me.  I've been through it repeatedly and it's always bitter sweet.  Funny thing this time though, those 6 wins Monday were all from one seller .... a fairly new one I haven't  bought anything from before, so I'll see what I need to know in a day or two when the box arrives .... could be the fastest honeypot switch ever, LOL!   

Message 68 of 88
latest reply

@brothacker1974 wrote:

Suggest you search sniping in eBay...It IS a Violation...and you sound like a person who snipes as a common behavior.  Bid YOUR highest amount and don't snipe.   Even easier.

2 questions

Why did you pick ckimodog to reply to, when literally EVERYONE in this thread told you that sniping is not a violation.   Just curious.  

Since you obviously never saw it stated in eBay policy pages that sniping is a violation, what gave you that idea?  Does it just seem unfair to you?  

Message 69 of 88
latest reply

Sniping isn't against ebay policy because last minute bids trying to win an auction aren't against ebay policy.  They are the same thing.  If you are worried about sniping, enter a high reserve bid so future bid attempts lower than your reserve bid won't win against you.

Message 70 of 88
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

LOL I not only didn't realize I was replying to you, I misunderstood what "he"(?) was saying. 

But I am still kinda confused, or rather I suspect you are .....?  The way I usually see the term "as is" used is to say "this item isn't perfect, so if you buy it, you agree that you are accepting it "as it is" rather than under the assumption that it's perfect, therefore, NO REFUNDS."  

Under that definition, most of the (non-Ebay) auctions sites I've seen are basically "as is" sales across the board, like even if the photographs hid problems, too bad, no refunds.  

But now that I think about it, I wonder if there is an exception for outright mis-titled items, especially where the title difference would amount to large amounts of money's worth of difference, such as a "14k gold and diamond ring" actually turning out to be a gold-plated and cubic zirconia ring.  

Yes but first of all, in my opinion ALL sales are "AS IS" because what other condition would an item be in except exactly the condition it is in right then? But yes, generally speaking "as is" translates to buyer beware because you bought it means it's yours.

That said I have learned to always peruse the auction site's legalese, you read a few of them through and you learn what are the important parts but specifically the "returns" policy should be read carefully because as you stated: Yes, if an item is completely misrepresented, for example the photos and description show and describe a computer but the buyer ends up finding a lawn mower when they go to pick up their item, that would be refundable however often it must be done a certain way!
In one auction you have exactly 48 hours after close of auction to "contest" your win IF it is a misrepresented item so pay attention, in some cases they give you a little more time if you purchased online but again read the policy! Always read the policy, which is something I can not stress enough, even and also on ebay, if everybody would just do some reading it would save everyone a lot of headache.

Message 71 of 88
latest reply

@brothacker1974 wrote:

What is wrong with biding your highest amount at anytime during an  active listing?

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 72 of 88
latest reply

It's not a violation, it's called biding. There is no rule when to place a bid on an item. You can bid 5 days before an auction ends or 5 seconds what matters is you pay if you win.

I always snipe because, in the past, I have seen bidding wars that drove up prices and I don't want to let the high bidder know I want something until the last seconds because I don't want to get in a bidding war. I always drop a bid the last 7 to 10 seconds then pay if ebay says I'm the winner.

Message 73 of 88
latest reply

Theres a policy for sniping? How is it defined? Is that not how it is supposed to be done? 

Message 74 of 88
latest reply

I just want to add to whom it may concern theres an app called Auction Sniper, available for download in your app store. 

Message 75 of 88
latest reply