cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniping MUST be stopped.

Sniping is a violation of eBay policy, but like most eBay policies little is done by eBay management to enforce its own rules.  Maybe a boycott of eBay for a week will get management's attention.  I am considering cancelling my eBay account , not because I've been sniped repeatedly, but because eBay has a "we don't care as long as we aremaking money" policy.  I don't sell on eBay because of the excessive fees for listing items.  If I don't close my account, I may keep it open just to increase eBay administrative costs and non-income.

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Sniping MUST be stopped.

I've seen other auction sites that extend the bidding 60 seconds every time a new bid is entered, even the last few seconds.  They keep extending until the bidding has exhausted.  I understand the method, but can't stand it because it milks you dry!

Message 46 of 88
latest reply

Or, at the very least, they present a very interesting conundrum, we ask further questions, trying to dig out enough information to help them, but they do not return.  

Message 47 of 88
latest reply

Aren't those auctions dedicated to those buyers who want to sit up all night nibble bidding? 

Message 48 of 88
latest reply

Is that really the case?  What a joke.  If Ebay wants to stop sniping all they need to do is change to an extended bidding format on all auctions.  The fixed time format is a relic of the 20th century.  

Message 49 of 88
latest reply

Can you explain why eBay would want to stop sniping?

"The fixed time format is a relic of the 20th century".  

The extended bidding format would be for those who want to stay up all night nibble bidding.

Message 50 of 88
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

Sure thing, and make nibbling against policy too.

One bid per user per auction, is what it should be.

Thank goodness you are not in charge at eBay. That's one of the worst ideas I have ever read on these boards.

My reply was tongue in cheek one, and two it was in reply to the OP's post which is just as insane however I will say this: If everyone bid their maximum it really wouldn't be that bad an idea, granted it would never work out in reality and I know this, but thanks for setting the matter straight.

Message 51 of 88
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@movieman630 wrote:

You don't need a bot if you're fast enough.

Oh I have catlike reflexes, problem is I have catlike sleeping patterns too (as in, no pattern).  Nothing like waking up at 4pm to drink good coffee and see what goodies I won while having anxiety dreams about chasing the mailman down the street (no those aren't dog dreams; they're the dreams of an eBay seller who worries about sleeping too late and forgetting to put pickups out).  

As well if you bid on a lot of things it's a lot easier to have a bot handle it all, there's no way I want to keep track of 10 or 20 auctions running some kind of concurrently and I have bids on them all... Not to mention, the bot takes a lot of the excitement out of it which lowers my stress and anxiety levels (which translates to not getting emotional in the process).

Too many people get emotional when bidding and then it becomes a game of war, and since that is what auctions often boil down to I play my game of war as a sniper.

Message 52 of 88
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

One more question, how exactly would we "ban" sniping?

There is a way; it's called "soft close" auctioning.  It's where if any bids come in during the final X seconds of the scheduled close, then X minutes get added to the clock, which also happens again if someone bids in those same number of seconds before the 'new' closing time.   Some of the online estate and storage unit auction sites I use employ soft close.  Some people prefer it I guess, namely because it makes it more like an old school in-person auction.  But (unless I'm mistaken) it's still a hybrid, because there is still proxy bidding which stays hidden and places bids only when necessary to beat live bids, and the soft clock only adds time when a sniper bid would beat the highest proxy bid.  -I could have that wrong though; the added minutes might happen even if a sniper bid would have failed to win.  I'm usually too blitzed on adrenaline to understand exactly what's going on in those situations.  

People have come here to the forums to advocate for eBay having soft close a bazillion times.  And I'm kind of surprised eBay doesn't use it, because theoretically it would increase winning bid amounts on average.   Then again, would it?  -There might be a significant enough portion of buyers who would be turned off by it, thereby flattening or decreasing the advantage.  Now that I really think about it, it's weird that there's no "industry standard" to use either hard or soft close for online auctions.  It seems like the kind of thing a business research entity would have done experiments on long ago, to determine which is more advantageous. But it appears random to me, like each time I check out a new auction platform, their closing type is no more predictable than a coin flip.  Maybe research has been done and the answer is "it depends" (like depends on what categories of sale items or some other factor) ... or maybe it's just platform ownership/leadership trusting their gut prejudices.  

That's right, and how about all items won sold "as is" No Refunds and buyers have to pre-authorize their credit card (and get approved) for each and every auction they bid on so that when they win it gets immediately charged to their credit card, there is an additional 15 to 50 percent buyer's fee AND shipping / picking up the item is the buyer's responsibility and they have a certain amount of time (usually days, like 2 or 3) in which to do so and if they fail to take care of that then the item reverts back to the seller.

Sound outrageous?

Most ebayers have no idea how vanilla ebay auctions are.

Ebay isn't the only auction I attend, and most are far more hardcore than ebay.

Ebay auctions are down right sweet, especially in terms of shipping and buyer fees and payment requirements and the MBG, of course someone will find reason to complain however I have thought of your soft-close auction method before as well, only I wonder if it would garner enough seller and buyer interest as a soft close also has its drawbacks.

That said I don't know the answer, and you're right every auction is different from the other, every single one. In fact one auction house I keep my eye on has variable buyer fees so you really have to pay attention and read the fine print because one auction it might be 15% the next 30% and it can really bite if one assumes they're all the same. Predictability with these auction houses is that they usually cater to the same sellers time and again, so they hold regular sales and the terms from one sale to the next from the same seller vary little if any.

Message 53 of 88
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:
That's right, and how about all items won sold "as is" No Refunds

No, "as-is" does not apply to on-line sales, for the simple reason that the buyer cannot determine what its "as-is" condition is before purchase. The buyer can only inspect it after delivery, so an as-is sale condition cannot apply.

Message 54 of 88
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

No, "as-is" does not apply to on-line sales, for the simple reason that the buyer cannot determine what its "as-is" condition is before purchase. The buyer can only inspect it after delivery, so an as-is sale condition cannot apply.

Are you saying online auction sites can't have a no refunds policy?  If so, I hate to tell you but yes many of them do.  It doesn't matter what you discover upon delivery; if you're disappointed you can go pound sand.   I guess a card chargeback is always an option, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those other sites have a system to ban you if you do that X number of times (or maybe even once). 

Now, what a lot of those sites do have to prevent disappointment is have a pre-announced day or two 'open house', where if you live close enough to the facility you can go and inspect the items in-person, but if you don't do that and just bid from afar, the risk is entirely yours.  That is one of the biggest reasons why closing bids tend to be much cheaper on those sites than if the same items were on eBay!  

And to add to what  @broto_64  pointed out, at least in my experience with several of these other sites, there tends to be WAYYY fewer photographs and no description at all besides whatever the seller wrote as a title, for each item/lot.  And "item specifics"? -LOL!  At best, the items may be in categories you can refine with, but only the broadest terms. Like "jewelry" (no 'vintage,' 'fine,' 'mens,' 'womens,' 'necklaces' etc.).  

LOL if you expect to know what you're bidding on, definitely don't even consider storage units, because in most states the building owners can't even go inside the units, just try to get some different angle photographs from outside with the door open (and usually no electric light inside).  

Message 55 of 88
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

Are you saying online auction sites can't have a no refunds policy? 

Me? I never said that; I'm just pointing out that you can't have an "as-is" sale on-line because the buyer cannot be there before purchase to determine what "is" is.

On-line auction sites can have whatever the heck policy they want, of course (i.e. it's their site to run however they see fit), though a seriously unhappy buyer has various other remedies available, credit card chargeback being the most obvious one.

Message 56 of 88
latest reply

Fantastic post....thumbs up

Message 57 of 88
latest reply

LOL I not only didn't realize I was replying to you, I misunderstood what "he"(?) was saying. 

But I am still kinda confused, or rather I suspect you are .....?  The way I usually see the term "as is" used is to say "this item isn't perfect, so if you buy it, you agree that you are accepting it "as it is" rather than under the assumption that it's perfect, therefore, NO REFUNDS."  

Under that definition, most of the (non-Ebay) auctions sites I've seen are basically "as is" sales across the board, like even if the photographs hid problems, too bad, no refunds.  

But now that I think about it, I wonder if there is an exception for outright mis-titled items, especially where the title difference would amount to large amounts of money's worth of difference, such as a "14k gold and diamond ring" actually turning out to be a gold-plated and cubic zirconia ring.  

Message 58 of 88
latest reply

Suggest you search sniping in eBay...It IS a Violation...and you sound like a person who snipes as a common behavior.  Bid YOUR highest amount and don't snipe.   Even easier.

Message 59 of 88
latest reply

Yes I have...Have you?

Message 60 of 88
latest reply