cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke alarm policy

I was trying to list some new combo smoke and carbon monoxide detector, and a message popup and if i am reading it correctly it say that smoke alarms are not allowed to be listed, which is not a big deal, i only had 2 of them, but my question is why is there a smoke and gas detector category if they arent allowed to be listed? Also the pop up message refers to ss-168 smoke detectors, which mine are not and I have search all throughout my draft and cannot find any combo of letters and numbers(ss or 168) cause it to flag it. Also I've been all through the prohibited items policies and can't find any information about smoke alarms, but maybe i am just not looking in the correct place

Screenshot_20220416-164819_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220416-164846_eBay.jpg

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Smoke alarm policy

What happens @lacshirle-8 when you change shipping to US-only?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I tried that because it said uk testing but it still say the same thing 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Ebay does not always upgrade their categories. Also, the notice says unbranded ones are also not allowed. Just don't list them as they sound very unsafe.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

eBay had a lot of bad press in 2019 because of dangerous and unbranded smoke alarms listed, mostly related to the UK.

I looked and didn't find info that the category is gated, so if your alarms aren't the ones prohibited in the pop-up then I'm not sure why the system would prevent you from listing them.

It could be a gated category, I really don't know. I haven't looked into it.

I'd just move on.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@lacshirle-8 wrote:

I tried that because it said uk testing but it still say the same thing 

Perhaps eBay is intentionally vague about the specifics because the first instinct of some sellers is to change their listing to try to get around the restriction.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@lacshirle-8 

SS-168 refers to a type of smoke detector not a specific brand.

What brand are the ones your are trying to list?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

FWIW-- We are not allowed to put old or broken smoke alarms in the general trash. They have to go to the same specialty recycler as electronic trash, batteries, and the newish LED light bulbs.

It may be like shipping lithium batteries or perfume. The shipment may need special packaging.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

SS-168 smoke alarm is ion type smoke alarm and it produces ionizing radiation. So, make sure your smoke alarm is photoelectric type smoke alarm and put it in description. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Hi @lacshirle-8 

The policy regarding Product Safety items is where you will find the info on why yours are not allowed. The policy states:

Smoke or carbon monoxide detectors must be from one of the approved brands. Unbranded and unsafe brands of smoke or carbon monoxide detectors are not allowed”

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/product-safety-policy?id=4300#:~:text...

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

"This alarm failed seven out of eight of our smoke tests and that’s why it’s a Don’t Buy. It’s sometimes listed as the SS-168 or as a ‘General Purpose smoke alarm’ and it can often also be found unbranded and for sale on online marketplace sites such as eBay. But its results in our 2018 tests are a real worry for us. This alarm can’t be relied upon to detect smoke and we’ve made it a Don’t Buy to warn you off from buying it."

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smoke-alarms/unbranded-ss168-general-purpose-smoke-alarm

image.png

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It could be that you are listing an unbranded or an off brand model that eBay already knows is the same as the SS-168 model that has been found to be a non-reliable dangerous model.  Honestly, if it pops up this listing problem if it were me they would be disposed of, not sold.  The last thing you want to happen is to sell these and then find out that the buyer had a fire and these didn't work causing a serious injury or death.  Not worth the few dollars profit it might make IMO.  There are some things you just don't want to risk selling unless a well known and reliable brand.  Life safety items are one of them.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Smoke Time!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Another time warp poster!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply