cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Season Strategies for Ebay

I deal mostly in consumer electronics and summers tend to be very slow. I'm only on my second real summer of doing this so I still haven't nailed down a strategy for dealing with it yet. What do yall do? On one hand I want to stop promoting or even marking down and just focus on the maintenance side. On the other hand, I want to slash prices 20 percent and promote the hell out of everything. I want sales but I also dont want to be so desperate I end up losing money in the long run. Help!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I want someone to buy my entire inventory at the full asking price of each item.  That's my plan for the summer.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Looks to me like you have been selling a lot over the last 3 months. 

Have you been listing new items lately?

The way you have been selling, I would say continue to list and sales should come.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Have to check other eBay seller's prices of what items you are selling and lower your price...unless you have 50,000+ items for sale. You would be surprised some of sellers on how much they have for sale.

I saw 2 items...just took a tiny look...$93.00+ on shipping of an item(auctions)...that would scare me away and it did from looking at your other items for sale.  When I looked at your stuff those 2 items were the first at the "top" of the items listings...I know they were on auction but they were on the top of all your listings. 

For $93.00+ shipping what else is it coming with?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

24 months is a pretty small data set to declare a seasonal trend.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, sales do ebb and flow.  If it is indeed a feature of your market, you have 2 choices.  One, lean in to it and spend more on promotions and marketing and probably making less.  Its hard to get sales to increase a high enough percentage to cover the expense, especially when "out of season".  Or two, do some of the things you "never have time for", like work on processes, organize your operation, do research, find new suppliers, etc..  I'd go with #2, and then when you are "in season" spend all that marketing money you were willing to spend now, then.  There is a reason major retailers ramp up marketing expenses going in to December.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I have been selling for quite sometime and just go with the flow of the market place but I don't do this for a living but more as something to keep me occupied at times. I have never used PL and never will I seldom mark down items other than when I list them on other forums/venues and adjust my pricing based on the selling costs on those platforms and venues. I may have a lower price on the other venues and forums but maintain my ROI. 

I have other activities outside of eBay and there are weeks where I have nothing listed. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I don't do anything. I just list, and when someone buys, then I ship. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I used to just wrap up in June and start up again in September.  Then I got laid off and went full time here and just hammered along no matter what - I found I made as many sales in spring/summer as I did in the winter, but I had to work harder for it.

Now I'm semi-retired and just diddle along through the summer when I feel like it.

You might want to leave things running, but devote more time to maintenance, inventory acquisition, etc. It never has to be either/or.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

There are times of the year that we will start marking down prices on some items just to get the stuff sold and inventory MOVING so we have funds to replenish the stock with other items that we may be able to obtain at better prices. That is the strategy we use. Crucial to any sales on here is to research what the going prices are on items with a thorough internet search. This applies ALL YEAR LONG.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@willingdealer  stop doing whatever is causing all those negative and neutral feedbacks

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Dry period for me tend to be Summer and October/Early November. What I did last year was heavily post inventory on other platforms. It help offset the Ebay lost revenue. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I don't really have a slow or fast "season" or time of year.

Every month is kind of the same for me.

December is the only month that i'm noticeably busier.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Stop randomly cancelling orders.  That is hurting your business.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

yeah I do ok, I just get worried  about the day to day traffic hitting a standstill

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@willingdealer wrote:

yeah I do ok, I just get worried  about the day to day traffic hitting a standstill

In the last 3 months you have sold a lot more than you have listed at this point. 

Running out of new inventory to list?

Posting ID
Message 15 of 16
latest reply