cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling item for parts

I sold a printer. The subject stated does not work for parts only, the condition was listed as for parts or not working. The description stated it did not work that it had a paper jam error I couldn’t fix. 

I’m not sure how much more clear I needed to be. I sold it over a month a go to someone in Canada. Now they want a refund. I got a message this morning saying “I thought this printer is working. Could I get money back?”

Is EBay going to force me to refund this person if he submits an item not as described? I’m trying to think how I should respond to this person. 

Any ideas or suggestions?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Selling item for parts

You should try to point out to the buyer that the printer in fact, was for parts only, not working. Point out to them where the listing showed it was non functional. 

In the end though, if they file an INAD, yes, you will end up having to accept the return/refund the buyer. This is how the MBG works, unfortunately. 

IF they do file an INAD, block them and report the buyer for filing a false claim.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

I sell busted stuff all the time.I am unsure if they have a category for broken printers but thats probably where it needed to be.

some categories can only be used if the things you are selling operate and are ready to go

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

unless the timeline has changed, they had 30 days to file NAD... they could still file a chargeback, but i believe as far as ebay's concerned, you're good...

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

General reply: 

This listing shows me a cost of $111 ($50 plus $61) shipping for a broken item I can buy brand new from a big box store for $149. Just goes to show that the eBay of old is still alive and well in some respects! 

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

Yes I double checked. The condition is listed as for parts only. 

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

I also listed an item for parts or not working as the Ebay given condition and clearly said that in the item description.

Almost 30 days later the buyer opens a return using the Ebay reason, doesn't work or defective. After spending 2 days on the phone with a rep trying to question how they can do that when it was clearly stated it doesn't work, they are making me take it back. Like talking to a wall. Bottom line is they are having him return it regardless of it was listed as not working and I delivered exactly what was offered. They have no regard for what it right, proper llistings

and being honest in how you describe things. They don't have the sellers back, just the buyers.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

Sometimes things just need to be tossed in the trash. I know you want to make a buck or two, but should you have to pay for the return shipping, you will be out a $120.00. Even if don't, you're still out $61.00. You can't depend on a buyer's ability to read and understand a listing.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

@joshua24fan wrote:

Is EBay going to force me to refund this person if he submits an item not as described? I’m trying to think how I should respond to this person. 

IMHO that depends entirely upon what he says in his dispute, and how persuasive you can be with your response. 

There are situations where it is perfectly valid for a buyer to file a SNAD dispute on an item even though it is listed as "For parts or not working". For instance, if buyer purchases a broken Rolex and it turns out to be a broken counterfeit Rolex, IMHO a SNAD for that transaction is perfectly valid. 

Now I understand that is not what happened here. I'm just explaining why eBay is not going to automatically rule in your favor, and thus you will still need to actively fight this to prevail. 

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

You might be okay if you get a sympathetic Customer Service Rep.

They have access to messages (as long as through eBay). Point out that the buyer admits they didn't read the condition or description (“I thought this printer is working").

Behave professionally with any messages.

eBay knows about the problems with cell phone app buyers who don't know how to see the description.

I'd like to hear how this turns out.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

First of all i would ask the customer to kindly go back and READ the listing.

Many times they will and feel stupid and just let it go. 

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

Your experience is why i do not sell flawed items or non-working items. Too many buyers don’t do their due diligence. They don’t read the listing. They just look at the picture and the price.

At this point, i would tell the buyer not to return the unit, and you will refund him except for original shipping.

Since over a month has past, he cannot open a case with eBay. However, if he used PayPal to remit, he can open a Not As Described case with them (buyer gets up to 180 days to file), but with PayPal, the return shipping is on the buyer. 

By offering a partial refund, neither of you bears the brunt of a total loss, and that will hopefully prevent a negative feedback as well.  Good luck, and hope this is resolved to your satisfaction.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

When you get it back, you might find that the buyer removed the one good part that he needed to repair his printer before shipping it back to you.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

gjs_16
Guide

Normally, when there are so many things I could say ...

That means I should hope for the best outcome by observing radio silence and politely ignoring the message.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Selling item for parts

@shatinabox9 wrote:

I also listed an item for parts or not working as the Ebay given condition and clearly said that in the item description.

Almost 30 days later the buyer opens a return using the Ebay reason, doesn't work or defective. After spending 2 days on the phone with a rep trying to question how they can do that when it was clearly stated it doesn't work, they are making me take it back.

(This is a necro-thread from last February that was revived by @shatinabox9 here...)

I don't know how you managed to find the same rep for two days running, but it might be worth trying a bit more, either on the phone hopefully with a different rep with a bit more common sense, or via the Facebook eBay for Business contacts (who are rumored to be more capable than the offshore phone help).

Your key point here should be that you selected the eBay-supplied category of "For parts or not working," as well as providing a clear description of how much testing you were able to do. I can't see any exclusion in the Money Back Guarantee for the "For parts or not working" category, so the best you can do is try to schmooze the rep into closing the case in your favor. I'm not optimistic, and you must not let the response deadline pass, so your best bet may be to send a return label so that the buyer has to return it before getting his refund. Then you can decide whether you want to relist it in hopes of finding a buyer who can read better.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply