cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Quantity

I have Several Items that have a Quantity , so when 1 sells, the item remains to show for buyers to buy.  Yesterday I sold 2 of the item...Ebay Change the weight so it doubled, the box size stayed the same and the Buyer paid postage ONCE for the size of box for 1 quantity, Does that make sence? so...Luckily I could fit the 2nd item in the box ....But what about Next time....?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Selling Quantity

I hear you.  The problem is the weight goes up for the label but the box size doesn't.  With new cubic shipping, size matters and needs to be taken into consideration.   It will take a while for eBay to catch up.  In the meantime you can up the box size in the original listing to help compensate, shave boxes so they are as small as possible and check if Flat Rate boxes are a usable alternative.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Selling Quantity

When you have a listing that you are selling a few of the same item, lets say you have Part A and you are selling 4 of them.  When a buyer purchases 1 of them, the quantity available will drop to 3.  Each time someone purchases from the listing, the quantity available will drop by whatever amount the buyer purchased until you end up at zero quanity.

Ebay does NOT "change" weights.  Ebay goes by whatever you have set up in the listing or in the calculated shipping function.  Ebay ONLY goes by the info you have supplied to them.  So you should go in and make sure YOU have the correct info entered.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Selling Quantity

@flippinth44 wrote:

I have Several Items that have a Quantity , so when 1 sells, the item remains to show for buyers to buy.  Yesterday I sold 2 of the item...Ebay Change the weight so it doubled, the box size stayed the same and the Buyer paid postage ONCE for the size of box for 1 quantity, Does that make sence? so...Luckily I could fit the 2nd item in the box ....But what about Next time....?

This is a common problem,  shipping calculator adds weights, does not add box size.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Selling Quantity

I have found that ebay does change the weight when someone buys more than one of any item.

If I have the item listed as 4 oz. and someone buys 2, when I go to print out the shipping label it says 8 oz.

Many times doubling (or tripling or quadrupling) the weight is not accurate.

As I can ship multiple quantities together for a lot less.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Selling Quantity

@inhawaii wrote:

I have found that ebay does change the weight when someone buys more than one of any item.

If I have the item listed as 4 oz. and someone buys 2, when I go to print out the shipping label it says 8 oz.

Many times doubling (or tripling or quadrupling) the weight is not accurate.

As I can ship multiple quantities together for a lot less.

Most times you can ship multiple items for less sometimes it will be more for various reasons like going over 50 lb or dimensional weight

one I used to always have trouble with is items that I had set to ship in a regional A and the buyer bought several and the shipping calculator would only charge for one Regional a box for the whole thing unless the combined weights were over the Regional a limit,

On some listings I would set the weight at 8 pounds even on a 2 lb item to force the calculator to charge additional postage.

A good way to check your items to see how the ship calculator works is using a different ebay account put items in the cart and use a distant zip and see what it says the shipping would be.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Selling Quantity

I hear you.  The problem is the weight goes up for the label but the box size doesn't.  With new cubic shipping, size matters and needs to be taken into consideration.   It will take a while for eBay to catch up.  In the meantime you can up the box size in the original listing to help compensate, shave boxes so they are as small as possible and check if Flat Rate boxes are a usable alternative.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Selling Quantity

Was you shipping cost set up as calculated or flat rate?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Selling Quantity

I Have Calculated Shipping...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Selling Quantity

Hello,

So....Up the box size a bit since at the USPS the actual size and weight is calculated anyway....Correct? 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply