cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Expired Diabetic Test Strips

I can not believe how many sellers are listing and selling "expired" Diabetic Test Strips with some expiring as far back as 2014, along with unsealed boxes and open containers.  I have been working with people that are living with diabetes for over 12 years and it is so dangerous, especially people that are administering insulin and need complete accuracy with their test results.  I can not understand the complete disregard from other sellers for their fellow human being in order to make a buck and the lack of monitoring from ebay.  I understand that there are thousands of listings being entered everyday but ebay can at least create a mandatory field that a seller has to fill in with the expiration dates, and if the dates have expired then the listing can not be created.  I know sellers will still find a way around this but at least it will give the diabetic community some more added protection.  In a listing where it shows  "Condition"  (New:  A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item), ebay should add "unexpired" as well which would also cover any other health, beauty or food products.  

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Selling Expired Diabetic Test Strips

@maxine*j wrote:

I know not much about diabetes, but... 

The expiration date on the test strips is part of the Item specifics, and many (if not most) listings have the expiration date in the title, as well.   So it seems unlikely that people are unintentionally buying expired test strips.

Not 100% sure, but I think if you buy from a 'product page', and don't look at the specific details of that specific listing shown, you may get expired ones without knowing that you bought them until after the fact.

Those pages would show things like 'lot of 5', but if you drill down into the actual listing details, it could be a  different title and may only be 1 or 2. 

@dogchow747 wrote:

They should be considered a "disposable" that is associated with OTC medical devices...

I assume there is a chemical reaction of some sort that occurs. many chemicals degrade over time.

Could be a huge problem for accuracy.

Okay, but show me where the eBay policy says anything about  "disposables associated with OTC medical devices."  And the meters these are used with are not OTC, are they?

Again, not being argumentative.  Just seems that nothing in any of the policies really prohibits the sale of these.  Probably should, mind you.

And, yes, evidently as the strips age they become unreliable, although that varies a lot from type to type, brand to brand, and, most definitely, how they were stored and handled.

=

=

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

Have you voiced your concerns to the FDA?

Is it simply a grey area where  there is little enforcement?

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

"And the meters these are used with are not OTC, are they?"

Blood sugar meters are OTC.  Plenty for sale here right now, too.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=diabetes+blood+sugar+mete...

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

I am not saying they are prohibited, it is a grey area.

You can sell distressed medical devices here (old patient monitors etc, hospital stuff)

As long as you include a disclaimer. Been like that for years.

I worked for a auction company that sold surplus from hospitals.

The regulations from the State of Texas were much more restrictive on the sales of distressed medical devices than any federal law. (Federal, almost none)

Expired disposables go to foreign countries all of the time, most of it I agree with completely.

I just read about how these strips work, I completely agree with the concern.

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

They clearly list the expiration date in the listing or title its not like people do not know what they are buying. And they do last beyond the expiration date for as much as two years.

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

Medical items last way  beyond there expirations. And the items us poor people have a hard time obtaining especially without insurance. If i can get them for cheaper , I absolutely need it and do not care if it's expired or not. Then I should absolutely be able to purchase it and someone should be allowed to sale it to me. What is wrong with this picture that people thinks this should not be allowed? Medical items are the first ones people try to save money on and dont care what the expiration date is, especially when you have the cost I do every month! And because it usually doesn't matter and they work as intended anyway.

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

THREAD IS MORE THAN TWO YEARS OLD

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

THREAD IS MORE THAN TWO YEARS OLD

It seems this thread has "expired" also.   😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 39 of 41
latest reply

yet selling of expired test strips is still rampant. why is nobody reporting these auctions to ebay?

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

@mealbundy wrote:

yet selling of expired test strips is still rampant. why is nobody reporting these auctions to ebay?

Did you report them?

If so, good for you.

If not, why not?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 41 of 41
latest reply