cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Decline

Has anyone else noticed a decline in their selling activity since the new change with Ebay.  Prior to changing my buyer purchases were constant.  Now I barely get a bite!

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Selling Decline

I am sorry to hijack, just a quick question to katz quote: 

When we ended google streaming to other sites with our e-Bay listings.........

How do you do this? It seems to be a big issue at home (Oz)

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 16 of 40
latest reply

I’ve noticed it too. My newly listed items I put on will sit almost all day and night with out a single view. It’s very out of the ordinary. eBay had me verify my bank account (again) earlier last week after I did that everything plummeted. Not sure it’s connected but it was noticeable. 

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have been selling on eBay since 1998 when it was unusual if something DID NOT sell.  No sales since the recent changes.  People are looking but not buying--very discouraging.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

If by "changes", you mean Managed Payments, there is no discernible difference to buyers.

Possibly part of the reason that sales are down is that shoppers who formerly shopped mainly on line are now let loose to go to stores and shop in person.  

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

My selling ID has been "in" Managed Payments since only April 14, so, two days now.  
She listed three things on April 14, two on April 15, and one today, April 16.   Total = six things.

Not surprisingly, two of those items have a great amount of interest from people who are interested in that type of thing, collectors, etc.   (Trying to keep some confidentiality here; not trying to blow my own horn.)  Each of those two things have multiple bids and will sell.  

The other four -- yeah: no.  A couple of watchers and that's all.  I am not so sure they will sell at all, but I keep trying.   Dad used to say something about throwing mud at a wall . . . . .

But none of that is new.   Some categories sell well and some don't.   Fashions and fads change.  Anybody remember Beanie Babies?

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

Sorry - sometimes takes me a while to get back to a thread.

On the (2) other sites where they let you import your e-Bay listings to them....there are settings on each of those sites where you un-check a box or check a box to allow google feed to that site with your imported listings.  We un-checked that option and also put both stores on vacay mode, with listings dark (so stores are there but both stores empty).  Have let them stay that way now for about 3+ weeks.  Until yesterday....things were crankin back up.  Only 3 sales on here today (but only 9 on the River....which is unusual for us) so maybe it's just us.  I really wish I knew.  Good luck, though.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 21 of 40
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

But none of that is new.   Some categories sell well and some don't.   Fashions and fads change.  Anybody remember Beanie Babies?

Exactly. I listed four things the other day; one of them sold overnight and the other three are getting a steady stream of views. They're in a category that tends to sell well/turn over fairly quickly, so they're getting exactly the sort of attention I would expect.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

Yup, a big problem is that, now that sellers don't get their money through PayPal, which gave you instant access to the money, the whole impulse buying (I've had my eye on something, YAY, I sold something and can instantly buy that item I had my eye on with my new sales money...) is gone.

I've worked in a number of retail stores... Impulse buying is a HUGE part of retail sales.. Even floor plans I've gotten in stores I've worked in, have specifically said what to put where for "impulse buying".

I'm guilty of not buying much on here anymore because of the same thing. Before, I got my money through PayPal, and many times, bought something from someone else right way.. I don't buy much of anything on here anymore...

Now you have to wait days to get your money, so impulse shopping.. ADIOS.

If eBay would get with the times, and allow sellers to use pending money from their sales as a payment option.. it would be a HUGE boost to sales here.

But no one on their end wants to listen.

I mean, if we can spend processing/pending money on a label.. then clearly it's available to pay for something...

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

Last couple of months have been brutal.

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

It's funny how people vary with how they handle their money.  I always left my money in paypal for about a month on my sales to cover any possible problem or return.  I actually wish MP wouldn't wipe everything out so quickly.   Also, if I were to impulse buy using my paypal money, I would use some of last month's money instead of transferring it out.  I can still buy on impulse, but just use older money. 😊

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

As a few have said it really could depend on what you're selling. But keep in mind a there's a multitude of things from a buyer's prospective that may be driving some/few/a lot of people away from eBay. First off there are way more marketplaces than ever before. Buying on other platforms is as easy as it's ever been now. 2nd and maybe the most impactful may be online sales tax. Most eBay buyers no longer have the advantage of not paying sales tax on their purchases. And in a state like mine (Illinois) that 9+ % makes a world of difference. eBay is less efficient to navigate nowadays, with their latest category change it really complicates searches for specific genres. a typical search for me changed from two words to seven or eight with all of the subtractions I have to put in. I burn out a lot quicker and after fewer searches than ever before. eBay's customer service is absolutely horrendous, and there are many sellers who do not meet standards (which can have an affect on the many of you who do). eBay does very little to combat counterfeits and fakes, which for buyers of collectables (me included) is a huge turnoff. 

I hope this gives you a little insight into a buyer's prospective. As a hobby seller on here I wish you all luck in the near future and hope eBay strives to stay at the forefront of convenience. Because that's what it comes down to for eCommerce. If it's not simple, hassle free, and safe to use, people aren't going to use it. Too many alternatives now.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

It's funny how people vary with how they handle their money.  I always left my money in paypal for about a month on my sales to cover any possible problem or return.  I actually wish MP wouldn't wipe everything out so quickly.   Also, if I were to impulse buy using my paypal money, I would use some of last month's money instead of transferring it out.  I can still buy on impulse, but just use older money. 😊

Same. I never transferred money out of PayPal more than twice a month and I always made sure to leave some in. Having a PayPal balance has never factored into my purchasing because I have credit cards and a debit card-- if I want something and can afford it, I'll just buy it. It doesn't matter to me where the money comes from because it's all still my money in the end.

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

Probably just eBay smoke 'n mirrors. (read as glitch)

My other account shows good #'s as well. Last year was not a poor year.

And by the way that is..............    >       1000% on the other one.  

greater than

up % n.jpg

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

I've only had 2 sales all month, but I completely agree with you regarding listing.  I haven't been listing for quite a while, so I know that's why my sales are down.  Too many other things I have to tend to.

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

P % up.jpg

DUUUUUUDE!  1000%!   😮   Are you selling vials of the water of Lourdes?  The keys to the kingdom?

Ketchup packets, ketchup packets I bet.

Message 30 of 40
latest reply