cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Should Stand Against Premium Placement Program/Fees

Thank You for reading this post - This post is an opinion based on my selling and buying experience here - I have been buying and selling on ebay for 15 years - I've seen the good and it appears the bad is out-weighing the good to the point of crushing the medium, small and part-time seller - As a venue, the decision-makers have outdone themselves in making this site a point of contention between sellers and buyers, sellers and sellers and sellers and ebay - If sellers do not band together and take a stand at some point, it will become an unusable site for the casual / part-time seller.

Before I get to my main point, First and foremost, sellers must STRIVE to take what they are doing seriously in order to help maintain confidence in the site - Take the "Boardroom" out of the picture and this is in fact a community! - I was purchasing collectible lots to add to my collection some 6 months ago and stopped buying due to the unbelievably poor shipping/packing methods of valuable collectibles - I simply quit buying as well over 50% of the product I received was damaged or overstated. Its hard to blame ebay for taking a buyer-centric stance given my experience - If that was the end of what complaints I had as a seller(though the policies have been poor in thought and implimentation), I would be saying GO ebay! I have little sympathy for those who reap what they sow.

Problem is, I use the site to sell more than I buy, and ebays attempts to protect buyers is the very least of my worries. To get to the point quickly, amongst the many worries I have, the most egregious current ebay noose is the "Premium Placement" Program - It is simply-stated, the drop off on the way down the "slippery slope" and it shows so clearly the method of operation for revenue generation this site have become mired in - If any seller buys into this egregious back-pocket pilfer and money-grab they are quickening the rate of decent to a degree that will eventually bring about their own ability to thrive as an ebay seller - Using the program would be relative to the type of decision-making that has led the site to its current state of decay - decisions based on short term gain at the expense of long term vision and sustainability. Mark my words, if you are taking part in this program, you have put the noose around your own neck and their recent policies and programs have literally funneled you to this point...

I would not be able, for the life of me, to understand anyone who could in good conscience use this program - The site is FALLING APART at the seams with UNFATHOMABLE glitches and problems; Preference is given to cheap overseas products from sellers with 93.8% feedback ratings scaring away buyers who come to the site; the search is BROKEN or worse yet, DESIGNED to a degree that there are no words to explain the complexity of the problems; The decision-makers have eroded the confidence in the site to a degree that, in a time of precendent setting online sales growth, they are falling further behind the herd everyday. They take and take and give less and less back using the human drives of "Fear of Loss" and "Hope for Gain" in most nefarious ways.

For which one of these disreputes are you willing to give them more of your hard-earned money? or do you simply say, its the best place to sell and I'm willing to take whatever edge I can get? Tell me, how long do you think it will be the best place to sell if you keep rewarding poor decision-making and egregious dispespect with your hard-earned money???

While other sites, through long-term vision and customer respect, have found ways to increase revenue by become more palatable, offering real benefits and reasons to use their site, eBay has mired themselves in the muck of the only way they know to increase revenue - to PILFER IT right out of the back pockets of those who use the site - they just keep squeezing and taking with a sense of indignation, contempt and entitlement - constantly proving there is no line they arent willing to cross.

This is a line we should stop them at - The idea of pitting sellers against each other to try to build up the "TRENDING RATE" is unbelievable - In analogy, you can equate it to creating a marketplace where a mass of people need to clamor over each other to try to get that next morsel at the expense of self-respect and community - the more you clamor, the smaller the morsel gets to the point where you dont even realize there is no gain for your struggles - Do you not realize if everyone was paying the fees for Premium Placements you would have the exact same placement you have now????!!!! Where does it end?????

So tell me, is this the path you had hoped for when you paid those hard-earned dues in good faith to the venue? That they would use those dues to create a marketplace that can so easily squeeze you out? Because thats whats happening - If you choose to take part in this program, it will be yet another line they have crossed and if you are concerned with nothing but the little short term gain you can get from it(?), rest assured there will be another line...

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sellers Should Stand Against Premium Placement Program/Fees

"Of course it is the OP's right to do as he pleases, it is just sad to see someone with such a long history go.  That's all."

Thanks Castle. I used to really enjoy eBay, I've made some good friends here, mainly my customers who appreciated my service and quality items.  I'll keep listing for a while but as slow as sales have been I see no hope for me staying here long. I won't submit to eBay's extortion tactic of premium placement just so they can pad their shareholders. They don't see that they will end up making less and less profit with their current greedy tactics.

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

I already pay eBay 10% of not only the $10 game I sell but, for the last 5+ years, 10% of the $10 it costs me to ship the game. I have been a "Top Rated Plus" seller ever since that designation was devised by eBay, I used to get 20% off the FVF's (only IF I sold with FREE SHIPPING) because they felt guilty for NAILING ME with double the cost when they started charging the FVF on shipping. Then, last year, they dropped the 20% rebate to 10%. Now the prerequisite to be a "Top Rated Plus" seller is to accept FREE RETURNS!!
Let's do the math.........I buy a game for $2 at a thrift store, maybe it is complete, maybe it isn't - maybe I have some spare parts in my game collection, maybe I have to buy spare parts (ON eBay!!) to complete the game. Then I check what the game is selling for on eBay, try to be competitive, keeping in mind that board games weigh 2 to 3 lbs and if sold to the East coast will cost $13 to $15 to ship. The going rate on eBay seems to be $25 for the average game I sell.....SO - I am looking at the possibility of getting $25, from which $2.50 goes to eBay, $1.30 goes to PayPal leaving me $22.20 - take away the $2 (or more) for the game, the $10 (West coast) to $15 (East coast) leaves me $5 on average to cover gas for game buying, shipping supplies etc. and NOW eBay wants me to offer FREE RETURNS if I want to have TRS+ status in order to get 10% of my FVF's back if a buyer, after 30 days using my game decides it isn't as much fun as he thought and I have to pay $10 to $15 for him to send it back????
PLUS they want another 5% now to "promote" my ad?? SERIOUSLY??

I don't swear online, seldom in person but...........$$%#&*##$ eBay!!!!!

I have been selling on eBay for 17 years, 10,000+ transactions, only TWO unhappy buyers (who were both satisfied in the end) and I'm being treated like sh!t.
Message 32 of 40
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

The site is FALLING APART at the seams with UNFATHOMABLE glitches and problems;  DESIGNED to a degree that there are no words to explain the complexity of the problems;

I am in love.

That was beautiful.

Thank you.

Now I will say this...

Ebay does take seller's money and spends it on things that, even if it's a goofy TV ad, is at least intended to increase traffic. They do that with our money, they really do... They also spend money on "ebay-branded" packaging that, every quarter I get a $25 coupon that I can use to purchase so-called "free" ebay-labeled mailing supplies, let me tell you...

Between the USPS free supplies and what I get quarterly from ebay out of that $25 coupon...

I no longer pay for packing tape, and for the most part I don't have to buy many boxes or padded envelopes either.  All that ebay gives to me for free but unfortunately it still costs money, somewhere someone had to get paid for all those supplies, and that money has to come from somewhere.

No, I do not have a problem with a company that meets me halfway when it comes to spending MY money, this is one area where I can definitely issue praise... The more I spend on these premium placement programs, the more I see ebay spending on getting traffic and other freebies back to me, and for the time being I will leave the glitches and bugs discussion for another day.

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay for 17 years, 10,000+ transactions, only TWO unhappy buyers (who were both satisfied in the end) and I'm being treated like sh!t. ***************************************************************************************************************** What a wonderful record you have, OP! A model seller. So sorry you are in this situation.
Message 34 of 40
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

Thank You for reading this post - This post is an opinion based on my selling and buying experience here - I have been buying and selling on ebay for 15 years - I've seen the good and it appears the bad is out-weighing the good to the point of crushing the medium, small and part-time seller - As a venue, the decision-makers have outdone themselves in making this site a point of contention between sellers and buyers, sellers and sellers and sellers and ebay - If sellers do not band together and take a stand at some point, it will become an unusable site for the casual / part-time seller.

Before I get to my main point, First and foremost, sellers must STRIVE to take what they are doing seriously in order to help maintain confidence in the site - Take the "Boardroom" out of the picture and this is in fact a community! - I was purchasing collectible lots to add to my collection some 6 months ago and stopped buying due to the unbelievably poor shipping/packing methods of valuable collectibles - I simply quit buying as well over 50% of the product I received was damaged or overstated. Its hard to blame ebay for taking a buyer-centric stance given my experience - If that was the end of what complaints I had as a seller(though the policies have been poor in thought and implimentation), I would be saying GO ebay! I have little sympathy for those who reap what they sow.

Problem is, I use the site to sell more than I buy, and ebays attempts to protect buyers is the very least of my worries. To get to the point quickly, amongst the many worries I have, the most egregious current ebay noose is the "Premium Placement" Program - It is simply-stated, the drop off on the way down the "slippery slope" and it shows so clearly the method of operation for revenue generation this site have become mired in - If any seller buys into this egregious back-pocket pilfer and money-grab they are quickening the rate of decent to a degree that will eventually bring about their own ability to thrive as an ebay seller - Using the program would be relative to the type of decision-making that has led the site to its current state of decay - decisions based on short term gain at the expense of long term vision and sustainability. Mark my words, if you are taking part in this program, you have put the noose around your own neck and their recent policies and programs have literally funneled you to this point...

I would not be able, for the life of me, to understand anyone who could in good conscience use this program - The site is FALLING APART at the seams with UNFATHOMABLE glitches and problems; Preference is given to cheap overseas products from sellers with 93.8% feedback ratings scaring away buyers who come to the site; the search is BROKEN or worse yet, DESIGNED to a degree that there are no words to explain the complexity of the problems; The decision-makers have eroded the confidence in the site to a degree that, in a time of precendent setting online sales growth, they are falling further behind the herd everyday. They take and take and give less and less back using the human drives of "Fear of Loss" and "Hope for Gain" in most nefarious ways.

For which one of these disreputes are you willing to give them more of your hard-earned money? or do you simply say, its the best place to sell and I'm willing to take whatever edge I can get? Tell me, how long do you think it will be the best place to sell if you keep rewarding poor decision-making and egregious dispespect with your hard-earned money???

While other sites, through long-term vision and customer respect, have found ways to increase revenue by become more palatable, offering real benefits and reasons to use their site, eBay has mired themselves in the muck of the only way they know to increase revenue - to PILFER IT right out of the back pockets of those who use the site - they just keep squeezing and taking with a sense of indignation, contempt and entitlement - constantly proving there is no line they arent willing to cross.

This is a line we should stop them at - The idea of pitting sellers against each other to try to build up the "TRENDING RATE" is unbelievable - In analogy, you can equate it to creating a marketplace where a mass of people need to clamor over each other to try to get that next morsel at the expense of self-respect and community - the more you clamor, the smaller the morsel gets to the point where you dont even realize there is no gain for your struggles - Do you not realize if everyone was paying the fees for Premium Placements you would have the exact same placement you have now????!!!! Where does it end?????

So tell me, is this the path you had hoped for when you paid those hard-earned dues in good faith to the venue? That they would use those dues to create a marketplace that can so easily squeeze you out? Because thats whats happening - If you choose to take part in this program, it will be yet another line they have crossed and if you are concerned with nothing but the little short term gain you can get from it(?), rest assured there will be another line...

This is one of the issues that will get addressed with the Amazon Anti-trust thing whatever itis going to be. They are going after the largest site in this case to set precidence. So now it is a wait and see. Whether or not they will at some point include ebay direct or not, no one knows as of yet. But the outcome, regardless, will impact all selling sites doing such things.

And this is far from being an actual community..this is an ecommerce site. Some sellers may talk to others or use the forums but most do not and we are here to sell. We compete against each other, for the most part, as well as this the nature of the business we are in.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@sicario_soldado

@sicario_soldado wrote:

...25 million? Do you mean in all of eBayland (worldwide)? I ask because the Forbes June 2018 article said only 6 million sellers, but was only talking about the U.S. numbers.

"Over 25 Million" registered Selling IDs is what eBay has published along with Over 160 Million Buying IDs.  Forbes may not be including Sellers outside the US ... or eBay has inflated their own numbers ...

The catch is registered ID's are not the same as active ID's
How many of those are not being used or haven't been used in the last month, 6 months, once year????
Now if they actually tracked active accounts month to month it would be totally different and not nearly as good as they want everyone to think it is.
Yes it is a way to make it look better than what it is
And ebay does play games with active numbers as well by using any account active in the last year...and that could be only used once.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

Hi.  Thank You for the Post.  I was trying to decide to use the feature for an original oil painting, and found your posting with a Google search... 

I know exactly what you mean about people who do not know how to package rare valuable items or don't care.  I received many extremely rare, old vinyl records that were either literally falling out of the jacket and rubbing against the packing material all the way here, or the record was in the original, filthy and crumbling paper sleeve which would contain abrasives for sure... And two records arrived completely broken to pieces!! 

Now, these sellers were good enough to refund my payment, but it was rather disappointing that I did not get these records in good condition.  It happened a large number of times.  I told all of them that all they have to do is buy anti-static sleeves to really protect the records during shipping AND make the customers very happy, because they are NOT expensive, and very few of them did so.  When they actually said they didn't have anti-static sleeves and had no plans to buy any, I asked them to put the record into a large zip lock bag, or plastic shopping bag, or saran wrap, or something, explaining that the vibrations in shipping would damage the record all the way here, and most actually sent the record in saran wrap!!  And this makes me think that they normally send precious, old, rare vinyl records with no protection at all!!!  It's just incredible to me that such a common sense thing cannot sink into the heads of the people who sell these things every day.

Oh well.  What are you going to do? 

Thanks again, Jeff

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

Hi, @oakdalesightandsound glad you found the eBay forum by Googling. The topic, however, is from a very old thread from 2018, and the poster who started the discussion may be long gone. Your voice is important to the community. You might consider starting a new topic on the subject where your post will be seen and responded to by others. Great to have you drop in! 

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

I just came across your article and wanted to say thank you for actually highlighting some of the issues that I am still now facing as a new seller to Ebay. Your article was written in 2018 and I am still having these same problems in 2020. For example, there was a glitch a couple of days ago that was not allowing me to enter a threshold price. However when I went back to revise the item, It showed that my price was 20.00 and i would accept offers of 2.00. What? I am constantly having to revisit my listings to make sure its not saying free shipping, when I actually expects the buyer to pay shipping. I am really enjoying reselling and hoping to make this a full time endeavor. I am hoping that Ebay will take some time to do a system overhaul, and fix some of these issues that really can affect sellers as well as buyers. If not then Mercari will become the next Ebay.

E.R

P.S Hope you and your family are same during this time.
Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

This is basically what I have been saying for a long time now. At this point, I have had such a bad time buying on eBay that I have been doing my purchases from another unnamed site that shares a name with a certain river in South America.

I sell on eBay but have no confidence in eBay as a buyer. The turning point for me was when I was tricked into buying from a certain well known, large seller who sells bubble wrap and shipping supplies. I did my homework, checked reviews and based on the seller's feedback, I made what I thought was an informed choice.

Come to find out, that seller's feedback is regularly scrubbed of well deserved negatives, and wouldn't you know it, I got ripped off. They sent me half my order, refused to communicate, sent me an insufficient return label after shipping me a 3lb order first class. This is the same seller who is known for lying to eBay about their buyers only sending half their order back and withholding half the refunds. I left them a negative and guess what? a couple days later it was gone. I watched their account and witnessed dozens and dozens of negatives vanish in a short amount of time.

The well has been poisoned and I no longer trust the feedback I see. As a seller, you can not leave negative feedback, and with large sellers having their feedback "Cleaned up", feedback is rendered meaningless. It's a participation trophy at this point.

I used to buy everything online with eBay, until they eroded my trust as a buyer. Now guess who gets my money instead? Apply that on a large scale, and you can see the problem.

Message 40 of 40
latest reply