cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller's don't have a chance.

I have mailed a package to a buyer and bought  through Ebay and still in transit but Ebay refunded the buyers money back already. The buyer didn't get extra insurance on his item. So that when I do get the item back of the refund it will  just regular insurance because he didn't want to pay extra, I shouldn't be responsible for that too, so I will probably be out on this ordeal. If I am so long EBAY!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Buyers are under no obligation to pay for extras when all they want is the item that they paid for ..

you, the seller & the postal system/carrier are obligated to do the rest.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Insurance is for the seller, not for the buyer. Buyers have the money back guarantee. It's been this way for longer than a decade now.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

The buyer is not responsible to get insurance for you.  

Happy Holidays,

Grandma

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I hear you. The post office is super slow right now. I mail everything the day of or the day after it is purchased. I have 4 open cases against me for items that shipped around the 25th.  Tracking on about 20 other items mailed between the 21st and 26th have not updated for days and haven't been delivered yet.  I would hope that Ebay would wait before issuing refunds since the Post Office is so behind in many areas. It is going to be a killer if they refund the money and then the items get delivered a few days later.  

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

as yet have never had a case opened for late delivery, but then I also have 4 day handling time and send my buyers a message when their item is shipped explaining the need for their patience due to all the slowdowns/longer transit & delivery times. Communication with the buyer goes a long way.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

I had no idea that the Post Office would take weeks because it has never been this bad before. I have messaged everyone else after the first 2 cases were opened (almost at the same time)  and explained that USPS is very slow. 

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

So then if someone buys a car they are not responsible for the insurance?

You are now saying the seller of the car must provide insurance for the buyer

Right?

If we keep giving buyers everything we may as well give away for free under your politics

I thought we were all sellers trying to make profit?

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

"So that when I do get the item back of the refund" 

Why would you get it back?   The buyer has no obligation to ship it back.   They may return to sender or refuse delivery but that's not guaranteed.   Unfortunately they may also just treat it as a gift and there is no way to undo a refund.  The only way you'll get the item back guaranteed is if you file with the PO to intercept the package, a service that's about $15.  If the package is lost you might as well just flush that money down the loo. 

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

"So that when I do get the item back of the refund" 

Why would you get it back?   The buyer has no obligation to ship it back.   They may return to sender or refuse delivery but that's not guaranteed.   Unfortunately they may also just treat it as a gift and there is no way to undo a refund.  The only way you'll get the item back guaranteed is if you file with the PO to intercept the package, a service that's about $15.  If the package is lost you might as well just flush that money down the loo. 

Unless there has been a change by USPS, "intercept fees" are only charged when the "intercept" is a success.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Sorry, buyers NEVER pay insurance. As you found out the insurance is for YOU.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@erkosuniverse wrote:

Right?

If we keep giving buyers everything we may as well give away for free under your politics

I thought we were all sellers trying to make profit?

No, apples and oranges, please stop.

Insurance on a car is something the buyer only needs to provide AFTER (delivery AND if they intend to register and drive it).  A buyer of a car does NOT have to purchase insurance before taking possession.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@erkosuniverse wrote:

Right?

No.

That is not what the poster was saying at all. 

Automobile insurance protects the car and the driver once the owner has taken possession of the car.  

Shipping insurance is something completely different. eBay buyers do not need shipping insurance because they already receive better protection from the eBay Money Back Guarantee. 

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

The sellers responsibility ends once the buyer receives their purchase in the condition that it was described in.  If the seller has agreed to deliver the car to the buyers location then yes, the seller would be responsible for any insurance needed until the buyer took possession. No one has said that the seller should pay for insurance so that the buyer can drive the car.

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 I communicate with my buyers and watch all of my tracking.  Not all buyers are understanding about the delays.  I had a priority package shipped Nov 25 just delivered today Dec. 5.  We sellers want the buyers to get their items too!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 37
latest reply