cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller has Gamed The System and refuses to return my item

I admit immediately - I did not understand the "rules" of Ebay as well as I expected, especially as it relates to returns - and this ended up costing me $400, or so it seems. 

I listed an item for sale and got several offers. The item, a high end speaker, was listed very clearly as having scratches from my move earlier this year. I also provided images showing those scratches. I listed the item "no returns", assuming this meant that once you buy it - it's yours. This is typically what no returns means, no? The shipping was $75. 

The buyer receives the item, and sends me a message saying he wants to return it. I asked why, and he said "it has more scratches than I expected". Umm... really? I said "but I provided you with pictures, etc"... "I don't care, I want to return it". I reminded him that it was $75 in shipping as it's a very heavy item, and I could not offer a full refund, he would have to pay shipping. He then changed his story, and said the item had shipping damage, and I would have to file a claim, and refund him. A lie... and something that has never been corroborated by images. 

Twice, I offered the buyer partial refunds, and he refused both times, saying "it's fine, I will use ebay's buyer protection". I didn't know anything about this process, because I have always been able to work with a buyer or seller to find a happy solution. But I did assume that buyer protection would also offer some seller protection. So, Ebay - using COVID as cover for slow response - finally comes to a resolve, fully in support of the buyer - immediately removing the funds (and shipping) from my account. I finally was able to get an ebay person on the phone, and was told "because you listed it with no returns, we had to give him a refund instead"... Huh??? 

So, long story short, the buyer has the speaker AND the money, and even - for kicks - got free shipping on his free speaker. I have appealed, begged, pleaded - just to have the thing returned to me, and Ebay continues to stiff me. 

And worse yet, because of the lengthy back and forth of their silly appeals system (joke) and call backs, it's now over the time limit - which is their new excuse... "sorry, you took too long". 

I am honestly disgusted. What have I done wrong, and is there ANYTHING I can do to resolve this? I was absolutely not trying to rip anyone off, but in the process - I got ripped off! 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Seller has Gamed The System and refuses to return my item

Your response is basically saying I was wrong, because "rules are rules"... I never said that wasn't the case. I am only suggesting that perhaps the rules are wrong... and the system should force people to do what's right... instead of following a long list of crazy rules. In this case, the rules made no sense at all - and I am out $400 and did NOTHING wrong (except for not understanding bizarre definitions and rules) 

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

Thank you - DEFINITELY the most honest and straight forward response yet. For sure, I do not agree with those rules, but now - at least I understand it. I will not be selling anything else on ebay tho, because it doesn't work... for ME... perhaps it works great for others. 

Thanks for your response. 

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

Yeah - thanks a bunch for that awesome response. Very helpful. 

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

Thanks. I understand that clearly now. 

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

Thank you for that... I agree with everything you've just said. I am a "casual seller" at best... and no, I didn't understand the policies... nor the use of the phrase "no returns"... however, I do now! 

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

"This seems contrary to the way business is done in nearly every other venue"..... EXACTLY my point. And again... I guess it was my own fault for not understanding this clearly. Thanks for your response. Very helpful and appreciated. 

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

@gearsource-m 

Hi, 

I am curious as to what reason the buyer selected when they opened a return? Was it "Doesn't match description or photos", "Just Didn't Like It", "Arrived Damaged", etc.?

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

Sounds perfectly reasonable... however, to me (and most people) "no returns" meant that the buyer cannot return the item (or request a refund)

It does sound reasonable.........until the buyer gets a guitar instead of a tuba........  What could the buyer do then? 

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

Obviously, it was a typo out of frustration. I assure you, I do know the difference. But thank you.

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Was a typo... and yes, I do know the difference... thanks. 

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

@puckbun_33 wrote:

@bonjourami wrote:

"If you don't understand the MBG and how it works, you really shouldn't be selling anything."

A seller who doesnt comprehend the money back guarantee selling a $25,000 guitar, what could go wrong?

On the bright side, the average scammer doesn't have that kind of money...

A good scammer doesn't need any money. Kindly text me or email me to discuss it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 41 of 42
latest reply

" I had no idea I'd get attacked for pointing out what appears to be a pretty straight forward failure in their system. "

Who attacked you?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 42 of 42
latest reply