cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller has Gamed The System and refuses to return my item

I admit immediately - I did not understand the "rules" of Ebay as well as I expected, especially as it relates to returns - and this ended up costing me $400, or so it seems. 

I listed an item for sale and got several offers. The item, a high end speaker, was listed very clearly as having scratches from my move earlier this year. I also provided images showing those scratches. I listed the item "no returns", assuming this meant that once you buy it - it's yours. This is typically what no returns means, no? The shipping was $75. 

The buyer receives the item, and sends me a message saying he wants to return it. I asked why, and he said "it has more scratches than I expected". Umm... really? I said "but I provided you with pictures, etc"... "I don't care, I want to return it". I reminded him that it was $75 in shipping as it's a very heavy item, and I could not offer a full refund, he would have to pay shipping. He then changed his story, and said the item had shipping damage, and I would have to file a claim, and refund him. A lie... and something that has never been corroborated by images. 

Twice, I offered the buyer partial refunds, and he refused both times, saying "it's fine, I will use ebay's buyer protection". I didn't know anything about this process, because I have always been able to work with a buyer or seller to find a happy solution. But I did assume that buyer protection would also offer some seller protection. So, Ebay - using COVID as cover for slow response - finally comes to a resolve, fully in support of the buyer - immediately removing the funds (and shipping) from my account. I finally was able to get an ebay person on the phone, and was told "because you listed it with no returns, we had to give him a refund instead"... Huh??? 

So, long story short, the buyer has the speaker AND the money, and even - for kicks - got free shipping on his free speaker. I have appealed, begged, pleaded - just to have the thing returned to me, and Ebay continues to stiff me. 

And worse yet, because of the lengthy back and forth of their silly appeals system (joke) and call backs, it's now over the time limit - which is their new excuse... "sorry, you took too long". 

I am honestly disgusted. What have I done wrong, and is there ANYTHING I can do to resolve this? I was absolutely not trying to rip anyone off, but in the process - I got ripped off! 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Seller has Gamed The System and refuses to return my item

@jameshen1 wrote:

According to the title of your original post, you don't even seem to know the difference between a buyer and seller.  You should really read up and understand how any site works before selling there.  It will help you to avoid problems and losses like this.

I am sorry that this happened to you, but you need to understand how ebay works or you will just have more issues.

The same thing crossed my mind. It seems 50% of the posts like the OP made, don't even know the difference between the seller and buyer. 

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Bottom line. Never sell an item you can't afford to lose.

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you.

Just so you know....there is no such thing as NO RETURNS.    EBAY has money back guarantee for "defective or not as described items".    When you put  NO RETURNS the only option Buyer has is to lie and claim "not as described or defective" or reverse charges with their credit card company.    Buyers do not need any proof....EBAY will always side with buyer.

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you.  It stinks. 

BUT to sell successfully on eBay requires a lot of homework to understand the policies here.  For example, "No Returns" does not mean "No Refunds"  -- and it can mean to eBay that you don't want the item back if they have to intervene in a dispute, as you have learned the hard way. 

Despite a fairly good grasp of eBay policies (or, maybe because of it!) I'd be scared to death to list a $25,000 guitar on eBay.  Indeed, as others have said, I'd never list anything I could not afford to lose.  

I hope things go well for you from here on out, as eBay can be a very good place to sell. once you learn the ropes.

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

All the fine points others have raised about this transaction and post are true.

However, there seems to be a number of instances where buyers can end up with items and their money returned and sellers are out the item and their funds (which eBay automatically deducts). 

This seems contrary to the way business is done in nearly every other venue. You don't get a store to return your funds by calling them and saying I got the item home (or received by mail) and it's not what I thought. You are instructed to return the item for a refund or credit. (Note: one n Amazon they returned my money and asked me not to return the item. It was $8 so cheaper to give me money then  process return).

This happening in greater numbers now because of the USPS and and INR process.  It is patently unfair. And very easy to scam if you know how eBay works.

Not a buyer/seller thing. An overall flaw in the process.  Not a lawyer but do wonder if there is anything in commercial law that addresses these issue. 

Also wonder, if eBay is going to force a MBG on a seller who did not receive their item back whether eBay has an obligation to the seller for all or partial reimbursement. Afterall it's eBay's MBG not the sellers. eBay has intervened in a transaction while claiming only to be a venue. They have caused financial harm to the seller with no recourse for making a claim. They 100% control the appeal process so they have self interest in the decisions they make. They can arbitrarily change the rules on the fly (like they have around the USPS issues).

I know we all have agreed to a user agreement. That is not 100% cover for a company.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

"If you don't understand the MBG and how it works, you really shouldn't be selling anything."

A seller who doesnt comprehend the money back guarantee selling a $25,000 guitar, what could go wrong?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 21 of 42
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

"If you don't understand the MBG and how it works, you really shouldn't be selling anything."

A seller who doesnt comprehend the money back guarantee selling a $25,000 guitar, what could go wrong?

On the bright side, the average scammer doesn't have that kind of money...

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

And you know that how?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 23 of 42
latest reply

Think about it, if you were going to rip someone off, would you go big and almost definitely get on the cops radar or keep it below felony level?

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

Sorry..Ive seen too many posts on these boards for twenty years of sellers that were scammed for thousands and thousands of dollars.

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

Think of the 'No Returns' option logically. Can a buyer pay for a book and the seller sends a rock instead? So the buyer is stuck with the rock?

Ebay doesn't inspect your packages. And there are many crooked or incompetent sellers on-line. Buyers always have the right to return an item for not as described.

Sellers often come to the boards complaining about this. Usually after they made the matter even worse by getting a defect and/or a negative.

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

"I listed the item "no returns", assuming this meant that once you buy it - it's yours. This is typically what no returns means, no? The shipping was $75."

Well this is were you were wrong;

eBay's buyers guarantee trumps it; You agree to it by listing on eBAy.

No return does not mean no refund.

When the case was opened you had the option to return for refund if you payed for the label:

Your refusal allowed them to keep the item.

Note on items not as described cases eBay can refund with you paying with out return.

It is hard way to learn.

I am sorry you had to have it go this way.

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

Yeah... thank you. I had no idea I'd get attacked for pointing out what appears to be a pretty straight forward failure in their system. I was completely honest in the listing, the process, etc. As you said, someone knew how to beat me - and he did. 

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

Yup... Agreed. 

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

Sounds perfectly reasonable... however, to me (and most people) "no returns" meant that the buyer cannot return the item (or request a refund).  This is common sense.... but I guess I should have read the fine print. My bad. 

Message 30 of 42
latest reply