cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller has Gamed The System and refuses to return my item

I admit immediately - I did not understand the "rules" of Ebay as well as I expected, especially as it relates to returns - and this ended up costing me $400, or so it seems. 

I listed an item for sale and got several offers. The item, a high end speaker, was listed very clearly as having scratches from my move earlier this year. I also provided images showing those scratches. I listed the item "no returns", assuming this meant that once you buy it - it's yours. This is typically what no returns means, no? The shipping was $75. 

The buyer receives the item, and sends me a message saying he wants to return it. I asked why, and he said "it has more scratches than I expected". Umm... really? I said "but I provided you with pictures, etc"... "I don't care, I want to return it". I reminded him that it was $75 in shipping as it's a very heavy item, and I could not offer a full refund, he would have to pay shipping. He then changed his story, and said the item had shipping damage, and I would have to file a claim, and refund him. A lie... and something that has never been corroborated by images. 

Twice, I offered the buyer partial refunds, and he refused both times, saying "it's fine, I will use ebay's buyer protection". I didn't know anything about this process, because I have always been able to work with a buyer or seller to find a happy solution. But I did assume that buyer protection would also offer some seller protection. So, Ebay - using COVID as cover for slow response - finally comes to a resolve, fully in support of the buyer - immediately removing the funds (and shipping) from my account. I finally was able to get an ebay person on the phone, and was told "because you listed it with no returns, we had to give him a refund instead"... Huh??? 

So, long story short, the buyer has the speaker AND the money, and even - for kicks - got free shipping on his free speaker. I have appealed, begged, pleaded - just to have the thing returned to me, and Ebay continues to stiff me. 

And worse yet, because of the lengthy back and forth of their silly appeals system (joke) and call backs, it's now over the time limit - which is their new excuse... "sorry, you took too long". 

I am honestly disgusted. What have I done wrong, and is there ANYTHING I can do to resolve this? I was absolutely not trying to rip anyone off, but in the process - I got ripped off! 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Seller has Gamed The System and refuses to return my item

You got what you wanted NO RETURN....doesn't mean no refund but when you put no returns then eBay takes it to mean that in case of an item not described case that you don't want the item back.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

..............general reply.........

moral of the story is you hemmed and hawed....the buyer just used the MBG as they said they would.

next time you get a return you need to say "Yes I will take it back"

you cant force a partial refund on somebody thats wants a return

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

@gearsource-m 

Knowing what you know now about eBay’s Money Back Guarantee, I’m surprised you still have that Fender guitar listed. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 42
latest reply

You let yourself get ripped off.

It pays to click on details in your listing. 

Go back to the listing.  Click on "see details" in the eBay money back guarantee. Click on "Learn More."

Look for "When a buyer wants to return an item or the item doesn't match the listing."

Read everything on the page, especially the section that says when a buyer isn't required to return an item.

It will explain why the buyer got a refund and didn't have to return it.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

wow, all of these sellers are blaming you in the comments when your frustrations are totally justified and understandable.

They must be part of the few who know all the ins and outs of selling, but as the average person who has only sold a few things on ebay and mostly just purchases things from ebay, this unfairness in this story is SUPER FRUSTRATING.

I've definitely had a seller scam me and then benefit from the lengthy appeals process, it isn't fair, and now I see how buyers can also benefit from loopholes like this. 

Sad to see that ebay doesn't support its sellers.  I appreciate you posting this to warn others of this problem so we can avoid it.

Thank you for sharing this experience, it will help me in knowing 

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

Wow that is unbelievable! You are getting screwed. I'm having a very minor problems with a buyer right now and after hearing this i may be done with ebay. Sounds crazyto me. Guess i haven't read the small print either. 

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Had the seller followed Ebays criteria for a return, he wouldnt be in this predicament.He should have accepted the return, provided a return label, then refund after return,he would have gotten his item back. As it was, he got a major defect for being unresponsive to the case. And an item that costs seventy five dollars in shipping is better off sold as a local pick up item.It helps to read and understand the rules before you sell here.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 42
latest reply

"You got what you wanted NO RETURN....doesn't mean no refund but when you put no returns then eBay takes it to mean that in case of an item not described case that you don't want the item back."

--------

That's not accurate.

No Returns means to eBay.. that when the buyers claims not-as-described...

then the seller is given a choice by eBay.

Accept the supposedly "defective" item back for a full refund, with  the seller paying return shipping, or

voluntarily refund the buyer the full item cost back if you do not wish for the item to be returned, or

let eBay decide the case, which always results in a refund, but may allow the buyer to keep the item.

No Returns is not an automatic loss.

It is totally based on the seller's reaction and choices.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Umm... really? I said "but I provided you with pictures, etc"

eBay has no way of knowing whether your pictures accurate represented the item the buyer received. If eBay  took the seller's word in disputes, unscrupulous sellers would list a Rolex and ship a Timex and no one would buy here anymore.

something that has never been corroborated by image

Nothing in eBay policy requires a buyer to take pictures for sellers.

Twice, I offered the buyer partial refunds, and he refused both times, saying "it's fine, I will use ebay's buyer protection".

Nothing in eBay policy requires a buyer to accept a partial refund, regardless of how many times a seller offered. (If you were the Timex recipient from my example above, would you accept a partial refund determined by the seller?)

But I did assume that buyer protection would also offer some seller protection.

eBay's user agreement says "You agree to comply with the policy and permit us to make a final decision on any eBay Money Back Guarantee case". eBay's seller protection policy offers very limited protection in a few cases, and all the rest is "may" or "might" or "if we determine".

finally comes to a resolve, fully in support of the buyer - immediately removing the funds (and shipping) from my account.

eBay offers a Money Back Guarantee, so someone has to pay. And since you agreed to let eBay make the final decision, this outcome should not surprise you.

I have appealed, begged, pleaded - just to have the thing returned to me, and Ebay continues to stiff me.

eBay has no means to take the refund back from the buyer, just as they have no means to force the buyer to return your speaker. Sellers grant eBay access to their payment accounts - buyers do not.

What have I done wrong

You failed to understands the consequences of an eBay dispute and to accept a return immediately. 

is there ANYTHING I can do to resolve this?

Probably not. All you can do is use your experience to decide whether you still want to use eBay.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

............general reply...........

most of the regulars on these boards know exactly how the MBG works and they aslo know the returns process........its all the same thing.

many people will make a post and ask how is ebay helping the seller.I say learning how the MBG works and using it to your advantage is how ebays helps/ protects sellers.

the MBG has been around for a few years and its not a secret....its the way ebay operates and the framework around disputes................it favors the buyer in a dispute.

knowing the rules of the MBG will help you predict the outcome of an event before it happens.

that is why I say yes to 30 day free returns

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 11 of 42
latest reply

After many, many , many years of selling on eBay.... I have learned

Successful Selling on eBay  is based on....

Knowing what NOT to do

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

If you don't understand the MBG and how it works, you really shouldn't be selling anything.

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

According to the title of your original post, you don't even seem to know the difference between a buyer and seller.  You should really read up and understand how any site works before selling there.  It will help you to avoid problems and losses like this.

I am sorry that this happened to you, but you need to understand how ebay works or you will just have more issues.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

It is often futile attempting to impose logic in a illogical world.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply