cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam from overseas buyers - beware

I was scammed $300 for an iPhone.  I wouldn’t have thought it could happen to me.  I thought I was safe with PayPal and EBay protection, but I wasn’t, and your not either.  Here’s what happen:  I posted an iPhone on EBay with the option “no overseas shipping”, but with that option chosen, it DOES NOT stop someone from another county to bid.  When my auction ended I was quite surprised to see a guy from Ukraine had won.  I was very disappointed, so I called EBay.  The person I spoke with said “no

problem it only cost $10 to ship it to them”.  That didn’t sound correct.  I was only calling to inquire how to cancel the sale.  They didn’t make it clear I could.  Immediately after the call I was contacted by the buyer saying I will pay extra for shipping.  I figured then ok.  He said it’s $21 dollars to ship FIRST CLASS MAIL INTERNATIONAL.  At the Post Office they gave me a tracking number.  What they didn’t tell me is that First Class tracking STOPS at the border.  Which I believe the buyer knew.   I shipped, the buyer report the package never arrived and PayPal give him his money back.  I could not prove the delivery because of the STOPPED tracking service at our border.  I lost my iPhone and had to repay PayPal.  No matter how hard I fought to tell me story it didn’t matter.  It’s been months I always hope my iPhone was lost and would be returned.  No luck, he ripped me off.  It can happen if you choose the incorrect shipping.  I will never ship overseas again AND I stopped using PayPal for purchases and haven’t sold anything though EBay.  Either of them will NOT stand behind the seller for any reason.  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Scam from overseas buyers - beware

scammers know this have gone amuck on freeBay with their polices. When I shipped an item to Australia the PO said tracking is not guarenteed once leaving Canada. And yes, I too lost payment and item. I no longer sell on eBay and only buy from high feedback sellers.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

This is a years old problem. When unsure about anything on eBay come here and ask. CS is totally worthless

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

He said it’s $21 dollars to ship FIRST CLASS MAIL INTERNATIONAL.

Alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear at this point, how would he know what the exact shipping is ? Sorry to sound harsh but the free giveaway is on you, he knew exactly what was happening, the only tracking with 1st class is with E Delcon countries, and even then it's not entirely guaranteed, I would have sent it Priority with signature required even though you don't have to, i bet you then he wouldn't have paid the shipping knowing it would have been delivered.

Even then they could have opened an INAD and sent you back an empty box with you paying shipping, certain countries are not worth dealing with.

I would have cancelled with problem with buyers address, as you offered no international shipping you would not receive a defect, i would have called in and spoke to someone who actually acknowledged no International shipping and asked them to cancel the transaction for that reason.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Hindsight Is 20/20.  After my iPhone is gone.  Lesson learned.  Biggest disappoint is how PayPal and EBay supported him and not someone like who has been doing honest business with them for years.  

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

In E Bays eyes zero confirmation of delivery is impossible to win, it's not a case of supporting him and not you, E Bay policy states you must have attempted / confirmed delivery, the fact you didn't offer International shipment means you should have cancelled as i stated.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@vance260 wrote:

Biggest disappoint is how PayPal and EBay supported him and not someone like who has been doing honest business with them for years.  

It's not that they supported the buyer, you didn't have tracking that showed the item was delivered.

Anytime a buyer files an INR and there's no tracking showing the item was delivered, buyer will win every time.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I had sent EBay and PayPal Post Office receipts that I sent the item exactly as my buyer requested.  There wasn’t another thing I could do.  Still not on my side, so they supported the thief not the honest seller.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Yes, that’s want they said except when I was at the post office they never said my tracking was going to stop at the border.  They gave me a tracking number.  I expected it would track the whole destination.  I explained this time and time again.  My only fault was shipping overseas and listening to EBay.  Never never again, I lost $300 bucks.  EBay and PayPal didn’t give a **bleep**.  

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

The problem isn’t EBay. The problem is your choices.

There’s nothing wrong with selling international and shipping 1st Class. I do it all the time (well, less often now with the postage rates these days).

But, I set a loss threshold long ago. It’s a bit of a moving target ($50 - $100), depending on my own finances at the time. 

Over that amount, and I won’t budge on using higher shipping levels.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I thought I was safe with PayPal and EBay protection, but I wasn’t, and your not either.

eBay and PayPal protection are *very clear* that you must have tracking that shows delivery. 

I posted an iPhone on EBay with the option “no overseas shipping”, but with that option chosen, it DOES NOT stop someone from another county to bid.  

Correct. Because "shipping location" is just that - shipping location. It has nothing to do with the user's home address. The shipping address comes at the time of payment, not at the time of purchase. 

I was only calling to inquire how to cancel the sale. 

Simply clicking the "Help and contact" link on any paging and searching for "cancel" will bring up a page with detailed instructions. No need to call eBay. 

Immediately after the call I was contacted by the buyer saying I will pay extra for shipping.  I figured then ok.

So in other words, you let a buyer talk you into changing your original decision not to ship overseas.

What they didn’t tell me is that First Class tracking STOPS at the border.

That is not true. First Class International provides tracking outside the USA if the country is on the list of countries that provide tracking. Ukraine is not on that list: 

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Electronic-USPS-Delivery-Confirmation-International

I lost my iPhone and had to repay PayPal.  No matter how hard I fought to tell me story it didn’t matter.  

That is because you chose not to meet the requirements for protection. 

I will never ship overseas again AND I stopped using PayPal for purchases and haven’t sold anything though EBay.  Either of them will NOT stand behind the seller for any reason.  

eBay and PayPal will protect you from a non-delivery claim if you have tracking that shows delivery. You went against your original instincts and chose not to. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Well aren’t you the smart one. Thanks for sharing.  

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Well, aren’t you the savvy one here.  I guess if we were all as smart as you to lay out the issues, none of us would have any problems.  Thanks for your input.  Even though in my post I’m pretty sure I didn’t have a question.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Also, if this advice would have came from EBay’s Customer's Service department the day I called I wouldn’t be in this predicament. You should do them a favor and go work for them. Apparently, you know a hell of a lot more then them.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@vance260 wrote:

Well, aren’t you the savvy one here.  I guess if we were all as smart as you to lay out the issues, none of us would have any problems.  Thanks for your input.  Even though in my post I’m pretty sure I didn’t have a question.  

Well, aren't you the condescending one here, mocking experienced posters - many of who have also been sellers for several years now - who are only trying to help you learn the way things work on Ebay!

Just so you know, unless you can PROVE delivery to the buyer using an actual tracking, there is NO WAY you are going to win an INR, be it domestic or international sale - period. This may not be what you want to hear, but it is the truth and the policy.

As a new seller, you need to read up on Ebay policies before deciding to list anything, leave alone something so expensive and a very likely scam target item here.

And BTW - Ebay customer service is (in)famous for providing incorrect information, literally anything to get you off the phone. Indeed the posters here are far more knowledgeable and helpful than the CS, so you'd do well not to mouth off so sarcastically, especially since they are volunteers and not Ebay employees, like you seem to think.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply