cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Seller? Est Delivery 3 weeks? USA Shipping? Negs are coming in...

Oh, boy.

Remember back in the old days when someone would list/sell a 100 laptops, collect the money, not ship, and skip town? Well, the good old days may have returnedSmiley HappyLOL!

I purchased an item, shipping from SC, estimated delivery was 3 weeks (5 days to ship +15 days to delivery) which was a "hmmm" moment right there.

Seller has sold hundreds, maybe thousands, of items in the last few weeks...and the feedback coming in is all negative....and ebay/paypal won't allow me to file a "not received" until the 29th...a solid 3 weeks since I paid.

Do you folks think PayPal was dumb enough to let him withdraw the money? Hid prices were "too good to be true"...and now I think I see why...looks like he legitimately sold a few items to have 100% positive feedback...then sold a bucket load with the intent never to ship and run with the money.

Interesting to see how this plays out...can't believe his account is still active.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

With only 4 feedback as a seller before the bad feedback started rolling in,  this seller should have been subject to the PayPal holds policy.  Yet he kept relisting items week after week, and why would he bother doing that if he wasn't required to ship and show delivery in order to access the funds?

He has no active listings, and his most recent ended listing was ended on May 15, so it looks like eBay has caught up with his antics, and has suspended his selling privileges.

This is what the feedback system is for.  A seller with prices "too good to be true" and with only 4 feedback, with the items shown as "private," should have enough red flags to have alerted those buyers. And yet as you pointed out he sold hundreds of items before he was stopped.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You saw the estimated delivery date before you completed your purchase, right?

eBay's and PayPals INR policies are and have been in place and quite clear for some time: INR's can't be filed until after the estimated delivery date has passed. That should be no surprise.

According to the "sold listings" and "completed listings," that seller has 38 items since March 22--unless some listings have been removed by eBay. None of the sold/completed listings is for a laptop. Was the listing for your purchase removed? Did you receive an email from eBay concerning your purchase?
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi, just guessing, wonder if it could be a hacked account? Feedback Left For Others shows 5 responses to buyers dated 6 months ago and then nothing left for any other transaction since.

Or the seller could have fallen ill suddenly, or passed away, etc. If listings were set with Good Til Canceled, it's possible something happened to the seller that prevented his servicing his account and yet the listings remained and relisted, using an automatic payment for fees.

So it may not be a scam. Impossible to tell at this point. However, you could always call eBay to voice your concerns, and have them take a look.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote: ... the seller could have fallen ill suddenly, or passed away, etc. If listings were set with Good Til Canceled, it's possible something happened to the seller that prevented his servicing his account ....

Nope, check his completed listings. Those were fixed price listings that sold out and then were manually relisted. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@pburn wrote: ... According to the "sold listings" and "completed listings," that seller has 38 items since March 22--unless some listings have been removed by eBay. ...

There are 38 listings, but most of those had over 30 items sold.  

OP mentions laptop scams "back in the old days" but didn't state that's what he bought.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@pburn 

I'm not complaining, I will get my money back.

"According to the "sold listings" and "completed listings," that seller has 38 items since March 22"

Yes, but each of those 38 had "20 to 50 items available"...I'mnot going through them all...but

38 listings x 25 items each=950 items sold x ~$8each = $7600 in "sales"

38x40x$8 = $12,160

Whatever is going on....it's going to be a real mess to clean up.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

And yet as you pointed out he sold hundreds of items before he was stopped.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I could see only 38 sold/completed listings. Can you lead me through to where I can see the other items? What am I doing wrong?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@2....1....0....sold!,

"Remember back in the old days when someone would list/sell a 100 laptops, collect the money, not ship, and skip town? Well, the good old days may have returned".

Those days never ended but because of payment holds and other security measures, the scammers had to adjust their game plan.  Crooks are fairly cunning after all.

"Seller has sold hundreds, maybe thousands, of items in the last few weeks...and the feedback coming in is all negative.... Interesting to see how this plays out...can't believe his account is still active".

It could be that the seller is drop shipping from China and their product source is who is to blame for the problems. Maybe they haven't paid their supplier.  I just checked and they have no items listed, but are not yet NARU.  That may be happening today since this is rating day for sellers. 

"Do you folks think PayPal was dumb enough to let him withdraw the money? ...and now I think I see why...looks like he legitimately sold a few items to have 100% positive feedback...then sold a bucket load with the intent never to ship and run with the money".

There is only one way they would have been able to take the money and run. They would have had to seed their PayPal account and leave the balance in for awhile before selling.  If this was a designed scam, chances are the financial info used to set up the PayPal account came from stolen info.  A bank account and credit card are created then used to open a Paypal acct.  Then when  the first negs come in they transfer the money to the bank account maybe leaving some money in the Paypal acct. Clear out the bank account, and bye-bye. Later some poor soul finds out their ID was used and they have to spend ages trying to get their life back.

"His prices were "too good to be true... I purchased an item, shipping from SC, estimated delivery was 3 weeks (5 days to ship +15 days to delivery) which was a "hmmm" moment right there".

The too good to be true pricing and the extended delivery time frame should have been more than a Hmmm, moment, it should have been a major Red Flag, that this was a scam.

"looks like he legitimately sold a few items to have 100% positive feedback...then sold a bucket load with the intent never to ship and run with the money".

Yeah, the first 4 feedback are suspect, and the 5th indicative of a drop shipper. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@pburn,

Open a few of those listings and you'll see on some 30 sold. Some people bought a fair number of those items as multiple quantity purchases. Most still have time left before they can file INRs.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

pburn, if you click on one of the listings.
You will see that that one listing had 21 sales, second one had 21 sales also.
I would imagine they are all like that.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

And yet as you pointed out he sold hundreds of items before he was stopped.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I could see only 38 sold/completed listings. Can you lead me through to where I can see the other items? What am I doing wrong?

Just open any one of those listings, to see the quantity that was Sold before the item sold out.  I have a gallon epoxy kit on my Az wishlist; the price is over $60.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.03.47 AM.png

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Got it! I hadn't opened any of the listings. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply