cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax info

When I try to put sales tax info in for all my auctions.  System chooses MO and I'm in Indiana.  Both states are 7% but it doesn't give option to change to my state.  Just don't want tax dollars to be going to the wrong state.

Any solutions? Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Sales tax info

eBay collects and remits sales tax for you. You don't have to worry about it.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Don't type anything in that space.  

When an item sells to a person in a state that does charge sales tax on internet purchases, eBay will do all the calculations and collect the tax and send it to the correct state's taxing authority.   

BTW, I have never heard of eBay sending these sales taxes to an incorrect state.  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@queenie1948 wrote:

When I try to put sales tax info in for all my auctions.  System chooses MO and I'm in Indiana.  Both states are 7% but it doesn't give option to change to my state.  Just don't want tax dollars to be going to the wrong state.

Sales tax is based on the BUYER'S location, not the seller's location, and eBay will automatically handle sales tax for you.

Where are you "putting sales tax info in " for your auctions?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I usually put it in when completing listing on computer but noticed it doesn't ask for that info when I list auctions via phone.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

thanks everyone!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You really don't have a choice where the sales tax dollars go,

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You, the seller, do not usually have to input state sales tax information.

And, BTW, the state sales tax is calculated based on the BUYER'S ADDRESS, not the seller's.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@queenie1948 wrote:

Any solutions? Thanks

@queenie1948 

It defaults to MO because Missourri is the last state left that charges sales tax, and has not yet implemented a marketplace facilitator sales tax law. All the other states are no longer accepted because either they don't have any sales tax, or eBay is required to collect the sales tax as the marketplace facilitator.

As the other responses have said, unless you are required to and are already registered to collect sales tax in MO, you need to leave this blank.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

MO has passed the law, just won't go in effect until 2023, still in the process of updating their computer system.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Yes, that's quite true.

eBay has been disabling the sales tax table for each state as they begin to collect the sales tax. Hopefully, once MO goes live in Jan 2023, they will delete it altogether, because the only states left will be the 5 states that don't have sales tax.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sales tax goes to the BUYER'S State..........not the sellers...........

Message 12 of 12
latest reply