cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales drops and spikes are normal.

I just wanted to show some sellers who come here thinking it is not normal to have sudden sales drops or spikes that it IS in fact normal.

Monday I had a 0 sales day. "Like somebody turned off a switch."

I didn't come to the boards crying about it.

I didn't contact ebay demanding an explanation.

Two days later on Wednesday I had a record sales day.

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 1.21.14 AM.png

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Good for you, my friend.  Hope it continues for you.  Try not coming to the board crying about rotten sales when it continues for several months or 2 years instead of 2 days.  Cheers!

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Must agree that it happens, but rather than normal I would refer to it as an abnormal common occurrence.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Good for you, my friend.  Hope it continues for you.  Try not coming to the board crying about rotten sales when it continues for several months or 2 years instead of 2 days.  Cheers!

If I had crap sales here for two years (after trying everything I could think of), I would not sell here. I doubt I'd bother after a year - Bonanza cured me of that.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@inhawaii 

Let's be fair to sellers that complain, they are not complaining of drops and spikes, they are complaining of no sales for days at a time.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I have noticed that trend as well:

gator08041971_0-1711069829812.png

Personally, I have had a lot more activity the past few months than I normally do, but then I also have a lot more items listed than usual.  And I have a lot more to list soon.  This weekend should be busy.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@inhawaii 

Let's be fair to sellers that complain, they are not complaining of drops and spikes, they are complaining of no sales for days at a time.

Fair enough.

But let's say my one day of zero sales was a week of zero sales, 

do you think I would call ebay to ask what's going on?

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Funny, that was the day I got that face text about items for sale on my iPhone of your item ...after looking at numerous items of that sort. Could be something new the kids of eBay are trying out.

I have been doing good also. I couldn't make it to the gym last two days due to a lot of sales.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

I have noticed that trend as well:

gator08041971_0-1711069829812.png

Personally, I have had a lot more activity the past few months than I normally do, but then I also have a lot more items listed than usual.  And I have a lot more to list soon.  This weekend should be busy.

That's absolutely key for me. With my struggle to find inventory I'm really trickling out the listings and my sales show it.

I must just put my store on vacation for a month in a couple of weeks. We're tearing out the first floor of our house for asbestos abatement and a retiling and it's going to be chaos around here, anyway. Maybe I'll be able to find enough inventory to squeak through to August. Right now I have to list as soon as I find anything.
Bleh.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@inhawaii 

Fair enough.

But let's say my one day of zero sales was a week of zero sales, 

do you think I would call ebay to ask what's going on?

Sellers calling eBay about sales is one of the reasons there are no direct phone lines to call anymore.

I can remember posters in the past, when you could call ebay, posting about just calling to chat about anything they could dream up. Kind of like there was nobody else to chit chat with.....

Retail sales are all over the board, never level day to day or week to week, but pretty steady, year to year.

I am in the process of listing another ~30k worth of products. Sales will be much better over the next month or two as the most desirable items sell first thus kicking the snot out of the previous 2 months.

I find it is, work hard for the reward. Never fails.

Posting ID
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Absolutely.

I will be starting to list items from a recycling center soon.  Mostly things like power adapters for laptops, stuff like that.  Low cost, but will have a few hundred to sell or more.  Boxes of them.  But that's one example.  We have some base plans anyway.  Probably will pick up late Spring though.

But yeah.  If you are going to sell, you need to put the time in, and have stuff to sell.   I have 22 listings.  22!  But over 350 items amongst them.   Sold completely out of my network cables last night.  Someone came in and bought all that I had left.  lol

Granted, I have all kinds of stuff listed, and I will list about anything, if its worth selling and shipping.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

My sales chart is like the Canadian Prairies during a blizzard.    😋

sales.jpeg

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Stop showing off.  😉

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

We know you are killing it elsewhere, rolling in the c-notes. 

Posting ID
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I can't believe you haven't sold any of your 7 items in the last 31 days.  You should call eBay and ask them what's going on.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply