cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales decrease.

I am stanerecords my sales have collaped I have an ebay store with over 935 records I have a high ebay rating with never a negative feedback, perfect fast shipping, offering free shipping in the USA usually selling one to two items a day, I am always adding new listings in the last 30 days my sales have dropped to 17 items and not a sale for five days, does anybody have any suggestions or reasons thank you stanerecords

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Sales decrease.

My sales have decreased steadily, to the point that I closed my store and stopped listing many items on ebay. I have found more of a flea market mentality with eBay buyers over the past year, and it got to the point it was definitely not worth the time and effort. I have been selling through other forums, and while it may not be the volume I used to have on ebay, at least people are willing to pay a decent price, and the profit level works out to about the same with less time invested. The constant drive to allow longer and longer times for items to be returned, increased fees and general lack of consideration, in my opinion, for smaller sellers, has made ebay a very unattractive place to sell.  I honestly think eBay's run is about over. Too much competition out there.

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

Yes! some days I feel like their most favorite child and others a dustball in their corner. It's boom or bust here. It makes no sense other than some days eBay loves me and others they don't give a hoot whether I have a viable profitable business. It's usually a week straight though of love or hate. After 5 days of lackluster sales a spike is now starting again.
Message 17 of 43
latest reply

You're not alone with the drop in sales as i've noticed it as well. For me it actually started a few years back when I was getting 20-30 sales per day on ebay and hardly any sales from my website and a competitor of eBay. That's about the same time when free listings started coming about and despite trying to separate my auto parts from my collectibles by opening another account, my sales have still dropped. No sales from May 8-12, 3 sales on 3/13-14 and no sales today (3/15) and that's me having the basic store option. For me it used to be that I could rely on eBay sales for a constant source of income but now, that's no longer the case. My plans are to kill the second account and change the store back to a basic account simply becuase it doesn't make good sense to pay $24.95 per month for a store with 500 listings when the basic account keeps getting them for free. But if you really want to know why eBay sales is lagging for everyone, my thoery is unless it's a one off item that a few people are wanting and willing to bid on or purchase, more than likely it's not going to sell because the market for common items are flooded. As an example, when someone is looking for a genuine ACDelco PF52 oil filter for their Chevy S10, they don't want to see all of the other brands like Wix and Fram placed in that search. Yet eBay puts them on there. And while a few people might browse through 800 North Carolina license plates looking to add to their collection, 3000+ listings are going to take forever to look through.  Even on a Google search, there are less items to look through.

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

Sales for me are like a roller coaster ride.   Right now I'm sitting in the station,  not moving.   In December I closed my store and stopped selling until the first of March.   It seems I can never stay away since this has been my M.O for years.   LOL.     When I came back around the first of March I knew I was NOT going to reopen the store though I loved it.   I started with just 40 items.   I began to sell a few things,  and with some decent prices,  so I increased.   I've toyed with reopening the store,  but as of today it's a no go.   It does seem Ebay rolls us up and down with visibility going from good to invisible.     I even went to another site for about a month but I didn't like it at all and in one month finally sold one item.    Then there was a problem since the site had the wrong email address for me and when I contacted them via email,  which was their only source of contact,  and after 24 hours of not a word back,  I canceled the sale,  and deleted my account.  I just don't roll that way.   I couldn't complete the sale without them getting that email glitch fixed.  I ship very fast and I didn't approve of their lack of response.   I didn't like a lot of things about that site,  so I left.   I keep coming back to Ebay,  and there is a sense of feast or famine.   I do see the heavy push Ebay gives to the Chinese sellers and I also see the unbelievable amount of negative feedback they receive.   I don't know the answer.   I guess, for now I'll keep plugging away.  

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

I have had the same issue, except I have gone 10 days with no sales, instead of listing your items good till canceled try listing them 30 days. By adding lets say 10 items daily over the course of time you will know daily you have 10 items that will end daily - since they didn't sell let them sit 1-2 weeks and add other ended items from the previous day or week, to keep your inventory moving and at the same time ebay will send out your new items email. Just a thought, that is something another eBayer recommend for me!

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

We;ve also had horrible weather across the US.

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

without getting into details of what you said.... it happens...sales rise and fall...and certain catagories have increasing amounts of people and items selling, so it is bound to happen.

if you have really been recording your totals and look at them per month over a few years , you will probably see times that are better than others... seasonal, economic, and global warming...it all is in there...

price and shipping, so total price is the biggest factor for a buyer...qualitly comes into it too , but bottom line is price.... so if you haven't had a "sale" and have the best price.... promoting using other sites..facebook etc, is a good if you can reach ebay buyer for your product....

it is always good to re do the title before relisting...look at it, add something new, reword it...The crazy search engine(which i have no idea about) may help push it ahead based on a word in the title...

but is short, these things happen... it just maybe a good time to spruce up listing and be ready for the next rush.

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

@judybsa wrote:

I looked at your store and I noticed you have some nice items, but I didn't see anything newly listed items.  I find that my sales increase when I list new items every day.  (items that are fixed priced, good till cancelled, that are relisted every month only count as a new listing the first month).  

My sales have been down in May. I have not been as aggressive with listing new items except that I am currently pushing auctions.  Best Offers are also down, or so low they aren't going to pan out (I counter if they are in the ballpark, not generally more than 50% off asking price).  April was also down significantly compared to what I had been selling.  I can't compare to last May because I had  a blip due to a large number of collectible books, not the sort of thing I list regularly.

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

Sales?  What sales....  unamused

It's getting worse.  Said this before, when you think it can't possibly get any worse.... it does.  At least there is consistency, I guess.

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

Most definitely on the down swing this year.  Give it time.  It'll swing back around.

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

No it's not temporary.  It's Ebay-wide, low sales, no sales.  I gave up after 3 weeks/ one month of no sales.  I delisted items on Ebay,  I'll come back when the Ebay tech guy has figured it out-- whenever that is.

@iart wrote:

Our sales fell fast this week. I suspect it is temporary, perhaps because of Mom's Day.

Other than that your use of all caps is an issue. I think that search engines will ignore your listings and, since eBay knows this, they might be suppressing your visibility.

And, besides that, all caps is annoying, hard to read and considered shouting (rude).

Good luck!

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 26 of 43
latest reply

EB used to be partners with Craigslist, which was a "free" ad site.  Maybe they should re-partner with Craigs and move us small sellers over there.

I don't know what to say.  It's crazy in here.  No action.  No views, no watches.  No sales. I give up.

@familyclothingforless wrote:
Same thing here I don't like the changes. Ebay is making it hard on the Mom & Pop stores

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 27 of 43
latest reply

The global hacking situation could be scaring people away, but not to this extent.  It's been mentioned that the US economy is stagnant, true, but it's been stagnant for about 2-3 years.  Wages have not increased, people are poorer, but they still bought on Ebay.

@snugchat wrote:

Just wondering if the current global political climate might have something to do with people being super careful about how they're spending their money.

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 28 of 43
latest reply

If it's getting worse, then they feel it at Ebay too.  Low revenues.  Watch for the next two quarter financial reports.

@leftcoasttrading wrote:

Sales?  What sales....  unamused

It's getting worse.  Said this before, when you think it can't possibly get any worse.... it does.  At least there is consistency, I guess.

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 29 of 43
latest reply

You mean, watch for another increase in fees to make up for the lost revenue  Smiley Sad

I believe it is true what someone else said.  Ebay just does not have the pull it used to.  I think the inflow of cheap Chinese sellers are making it worse.   You can do a search for almost about anything and usually the top of the list are these guys from China with a bizzillion feedback and a ton of negatives but still they are on top of the search pages.... sad.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply