cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales are terrible and eBay is greedy

I have been selling on eBay for years I think it is time to cancel my store and move to another platform by the time I pay for eBay fees and shipping it is about 38% of my sales I still have to buy the items I sell, plus I pay for a monthly premium store subscription. Sales are down by 70 % and I can no longer hardly send best offers the greed is ridiculous I honestly think eBay has priced itself out of its market to sellers. I cannot afford to pay an additional 10 to 13% for standard or premium ads it’s ridiculous don’t they get enough of the profits and  I cannot send best offers to anyone watching my stuff I feel it s algorithms have been screwed up since they changed the way item were categorized 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Sales are terrible and eBay is greedy

It's been a very disappointing 4th quarter so far.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Not sure why you  have a premium store with only 488 items listed.......seems a basic should cover that well.......and be a lot cheaper.......

You've sold 44 items this month/164 in last 90 days......so you are selling....... but certainly, if you aren't making money.....can't see why you would stay..........

I would suggest you take a hard look at your numbers tho.....when you say 38% of your sales, I presume you are including shipping.......which your buyer pays and which you/they would pay on any platform......

Not sure why you can't send offers unless you are below standard?

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Loyalty is for chumps; you need to watch out for yourself. Whatever works for you. Good luck. 

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

You should change the title of that post to “People are broke, at least the one’s who have ordinary jobs, and cannot afford many things right now they used to buy on here. Fee’s? Get your prices right with the fees not necessarily having to PAY for premium placement and maybe they will sell.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

If I promote at all I use the minimum 2% and my overall fees are about 14-16% and my buyers pay for that. I wouldn't say ebay is greedy when sellers are picking optional fees that they are not forced to.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Three factors affecting all of us.

1.  Ebay issues.  Indisputable.  Well-known.

2. Economy.  Many have less disposable income now.

3. What you sell.  If you're narrow in scope and in more specialized niches, and those items are not vital/essentials, this may affect you more than everything sellers and sellers who do sell more needs-type items than wants-type items.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

You’re greedy 

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

No not below standard at all I am a top rated seller I have a premium subscription because I ship internationally there are many benefits to this like lost package protection with a premium subscription 

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

No I am not at all don’t know why you would say this when I’m searching for a good reason this may be happening please do not say negative things it is intentional in this case and inexcusable 

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

I am sorry but it is not clear to me that you are not spending more than you should on Ebay fees.

IMO a premium store is of little value with under 500 listings and the availability of Ebay International Shipping.

Targeting the low end of the doll collectors market should be as lean as can be managed. The cost of shipping and the fees on shipping skews the percentage of profitability, and cannot afford to promote.

You might not be able to afford the Ebay fees but you are not doing all you can to reduce Ebay fees.

If you cannot bring your shipping charges to at least be breakeven, that is another issue under your control, if the market permits.

I never found unboxed Barbies to be worth the effort of selling, even on my own website, where I had a fixed monthly cost.

You may be right in deciding to get out of Dodge unless you can find higher dollar margin products to sell.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@wheredidiputthatremote wrote:

The lack of substantial efforts by ebay  in this holiday season , to address the issue of slumping sales, is troubling.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

I can't tell you the last time I've seen or heard a commercial.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

I actually saw one (partially) on Youtube recently, the kind you can click out of after five seconds.

*add* Etsy on the other hand... if you have a TV there is no escape from Etsy ads 🤤

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@wheredidiputthatremote wrote:

The lack of substantial efforts by ebay  in this holiday season , to address the issue of slumping sales, is troubling.

Ebay is acting, my inbox has frequent deals on mass market merchandise which has been their major area of volume loss.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply