cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale date changed

I made a sale on 5/29.  Buyer hasn't paid yet.  Today in my sales it shows the sale was made today and the buyer has 7 more days to pay.  How can the date of a sale change?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Sale date changed

If you send an invoice, eBay bumps the date to reset the buyer’s 4-day window to pay.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Did you send the buyer an invoice?

If you do, each time you send the buyer an invoice, Ebay changes the purchase date and time to be the date and time of the invoice.

Keep in mind that Ebay automatically sends a buyer an invoice and reminder emails too, so there really is no need for a seller to do that too.

If you have a need to contact your buyer, then just email them but don't invoice them.

96 hours and 1 minute after your last invoice and if payment has not arrived, you can Cancel the transaction using the reason, Buyer did not pay.  You will be refunded for your fees.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

fees ?

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@14u2have 

If you are sending continued invoices, stop.  Every time you send an invoice the clock starts over and it will prolong payment.  Let it ride the 4 days.  On day 5 cancel the sale citing non payment and then block.  Using a buy it now fixed price, immediate payment required and NO best offers would curb this behavior.  

Happy Selling. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@wes-4507 wrote:

If you send an invoice, eBay bumps the date to reset the buyer’s 4-day window to pay.

Wow I didn’t know what. What a sneaky way for a buyer to extend their payment window, just ask for an invoice. Good thing I never send them to begin with.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@dy42963 wrote:

fees ?

I misspoke, fees aren't charged until the buyer pays.  Thank you.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, that makes sense.  I did send an invoice yesterday.  I had no ideal that would reset the date.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Buyer can keep requesting invoices to get additional time to pay.  Shame on ebay for allowing this.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Thanks to all that replied.  

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@svik_45 wrote:

Buyer can keep requesting invoices to get additional time to pay.  Shame on ebay for allowing this.

The seller doesn't have to send one just because a buyer requests it.  There is no rule that requires that.  All you have to do is simply respond to their email with an amount.  This is an easy thing to resolve.  We don't have to make this more than it is @svik_45 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@wes-4507 wrote:

Wow I didn’t know what. What a sneaky way for a buyer to extend their payment window, just ask for an invoice. Good thing I never send them to begin with.

Only if a seller handles unpaid items manually.

When a seller sets up automatic unpaid cancel rules, the date changes but the buyer doesn't get more time to pay @iamalwaysright.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

You already got an answer to your question @14u2have, but here's some general info on sending invoices you may find helpful:

There's no reason to send an invoice unless you have to make an adjustment, for example combined shipping costs or adding another shipping method the buyer requested.

eBay sends out payment reminders to buyers automatically. Sending invoices is a duplication of efforts and clogs the buyer's inbox.

Sending an invoice locks in the shipping cost. That could have a big financial impact on someone that uses calculated shipping. The shipping price gets locked in based on the buyer's default location, but if they change the address at checkout to have that item shipped to Mom across the country, that shipping cost can change by leaps and bounds and seller is out the $$.

Finally, sending an invoice resets the clock on when an order can be cancelled for non-payment when sellers handle UPIs manually. The automated system will cancel based on the seller's settings regardless of sending an invoice, but when you use the manual process and an invoice is sent it resets the clock, giving the buyer an additional 4 days before the system will let the seller cancel.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@wes-4507 wrote:

Only if a seller handles unpaid items manually.

When a seller sets up automatic unpaid cancel rules, the date changes but the buyer doesn't get more time to pay @iamalwaysright.

That depends on how you look at it.  The seller can't file for a Cancellation due to Non Payment until 96 hours and 1 minute past the date and time of the purchase OR the last invoice sent.  Whichever is the most current date.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

What are you asking about fees? 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply