cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLERS BEWARE!

Just wanted to let you sellers know of something that recently happened with an item we sold 4-days ago. The item sold for just under $400, but the buyer did not, nor has not paid for it since.  Additionally, there was no response to messages or invoicing. When I noticed that he did not have any feedback, I decided to see if (by chance) he had any listings. low and behold, he did....one, listed on Oct 26th .... it was the exact same item at $100 less!  Perhaps I'm a little behind, but this one caught me off guard.  

Therefore, if you happen to sell a "one-of" or unique item and the buyer goes dark without payment, you may want to check his listings 😉 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: SELLERS BEWARE!

I'd be more interested in getting paid. Stop sending invoices and cancel the order after 4 days from the last one you sent. Cite 'Buyer didn't pay'. You'll have the item to relist for a paying buyer. Good luck.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I have been reporting buyers that engage in such shenanigans and tying up a listing with no intent to ever pay. I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but I would hope that if they have a pattern of it that eBay would take note.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@mayhem-and-menagerie 

Are you canceling orders citing buyer didn’t pay after 4 days of nonpayment?

When you do that the buyer gets reported for the nonpayment and receives a strike against their buyer account. 2 strikes in a 12 month period will cause the buyer to be blocked from bidding and buying from thousands of sellers items. 

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@mayhem-and-menagerie wrote:

I have been reporting buyers that engage in such shenanigans and tying up a listing with no intent to ever pay. I'm not sure if anything will come of it, but I would hope that if they have a pattern of it that eBay would take note.

Rest assured that nothing will become of it.   Better just to wait the four days and then report the non-payment  and cancel the sale.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Regardless of the circumstances, or of what your detective work discovers, why not just cancel after 4 days, citing "buyer did not pay" as your reason?

What would you have done differently if you had known that the buyer was also a fellow seller of this same item before you sold to him? If you would have cancelled, what reason would you have used? 

Did you know that all sellers can set their buyer requirements so they don't have to deal with any buyer who has two nonpayment strikes in twelve months?

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

All of your listings are BIN is there a reason you are not using Immediate Payment Required? 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

OP may be considering listing sabotage, i.e., taking a competitor's listing off the shelf and tying it up. It's a dumb tactic but some people think it's brilliant.

@myestate-treasures4u  Every time you send an invoice it sets the payment date ahead. eBay already sends an invoice at listing end. Just automate UPI assistant, set it for how long you'll give someone (4 to 30 days) to pay and leave it. People either pay or they don't - chasing them down does nothing.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@myestate-treasures4u wrote:

Just wanted to let you sellers know of something that recently happened with an item we sold 4-days ago. The item sold for just under $400, but the buyer did not, nor has not paid for it since.  Additionally, there was no response to messages or invoicing. When I noticed that he did not have any feedback, I decided to see if (by chance) he had any listings. low and behold, he did....one, listed on Oct 26th .... it was the exact same item at $100 less!  Perhaps I'm a little behind, but this one caught me off guard.  

Therefore, if you happen to sell a "one-of" or unique item and the buyer goes dark without payment, you may want to check his listings 😉 

The actual thing they are doing is not tying up your item, that isn't part of the equation, what they are doing is creating a sold comp at that $400 price that makes their $300 one seem like a bargain. In any case yours isn't going to sell until you undercut them, or they sell theirs first.

Non-payers really do nothing other than waste a few seconds of your time and create a sold comp at your asking price, the second part can generally only help your item sell.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Cancel the sale, and block the buyer.  Avoid the obvious trouble.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

So many questions. As I said in my post, this was the first time I encountered this issue. I have already taken the necessary steps to prevent this from happening again. Yet, it would seem that you are more interested in teaching a lesson than appreciating the 'heads-up".  But thanks...... I think 🤔

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

No intention of "chasing them down" once I knew he was never intending to pay.  And yes, I already made the changes to my buyer requirements.  Thanks

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

WE don't know what you have done, so yes the heads up. Most all the people that read and post to this type of question/comment are NOT the ones that need to be told about it, they are the ones already know and help others. The ones that need this information never look here until they need help themselves and never would think of doing a search on the topic they need help with. 🙂

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

List as fixed price / buy it now set to require payment right away.  That solves a lot of that.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@myestate-treasures4u 

When you relist it, it'll help buyers find you if you spell the brand name correctly. (What's funny is that the copycat copied your title with the misspelled brand name!)

It's "Myron L"  not "Myroni L"
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 23
latest reply