cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return label and/or provide means for the return?

As a seller, you are accepting a return. One way is to generate a return label and to attach it to the email for your beloved buyer. 

Another way is a bit confusing ... I see several options (drop-down menue) on the return form.

One of them is saying "Means are available for the label" or something like that.

Hm...m...m...

I selected that option assuming that now it is the buyer who will buy the label using my funds. Am I correct, assuming that I have done my due diligence by clicking on that option?

Or ... Can the buyer escalate the return case saying that I did not email him the label (as PDF file)?

What is your understanding of the "provide means of the return"?  

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

When you accept a return and agree to pay for a return label,

ebay will let the buyer print out the return  label on their end.

NOTE: If the buyer does or doesn't  print out the label and fails to return the item (which happens a lot) you will not be charged for the return label. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

It's been a few years since I did a return, but when I accepted it, I had a choice to provide my on label or have Ebay provide it for the buyer.

They should provide the buyer a return label.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@inhawaii  Just got me first return request in over a year. I told buyer to file a return and I will send a label through Ebay. The buyer says they do not have a printer. Any thoughts on the best way to handle this?

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

'provide means of the return' 

I haven't ever seen that term but imo choosing that option in itself does not mean that you have fulfilled the requirement of  providing a return shipping label.  I would say that statement means that you have either provided a label via pdf or provided them with the money for a label.  That's assuming that you are responsible for payment of the return label and that either the seller or buyer isn't in the US.

But if you are required by ebay to provide a label and if both buyer and seller are in the US, there should be a link that the buyer can use to print a label that will be charged to your account.  

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

inhawaii,

I provided the means for the return.

The buyer escalated his case, even though he stated  in writing that he threw away my item

ebay customer service closed the return case and charged me the full refund. 

Then I called to appeal this absurd...  they wrote ... , "The seller has appealed a closed return case stating they have not received the item back. Case review indicates that case was closed without a return as seller failed to facilitate the return. Review indicates seller provided buyer with means of return but buyer failed to do so."

wonderful... go figure (who do they hire to work there, children??) ... so ...  what's next?

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Tell him to go ... 

to the library. They have printers there. 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

kensgiftshop,

Is this the only way to do it?

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

this is "unusful"

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

It would have been helpful if you had explained the whole situation in your first post.

You did accept a return and send a label?  If so, then you facilitated the return so the response makes no sense.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I've heard others suggest having the buyer go to a library or other place that can print out a label for her.

As a last resort I guess you could snail mail a label?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@your.garden 

@coolections 

QR code shipping labels

If you don't have a printer at home, you can choose the QR code option where available. You'll receive a QR code which you can save to your phone. You can then scan the code at a participating drop-off location to print the shipping label there. Here's how:

1. Go to Seller Hub Orders - opens in new window or tab or My eBay Sold - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Select Print shipping label
  3. Select a shipping service that says "Yes" under QR code. 
  4. Select QR code under Shipping label format. 
  5. Select Purchase shipping label.
  6. Choose if you would like to download QR code. You will also receive an email with the QR code for each label you purchase.
  7. Save the QR code on your device and bring it with your package to your nearest drop off location offering Print in store.
  8. Have the retail associate scan the QR code at the counter to print the shipping label and attach it to your package. Some self-service kiosks may also support label printing via QR code.

QR code labels are not currently available in the eBay app. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/labels-packaging-tips/buying-printing-shipping-labe...

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@inhawaii  Just got me first return request in over a year. I told buyer to file a return and I will send a label through Ebay. The buyer says they do not have a printer. Any thoughts on the best way to handle this?

As far as I know, QR codes are not yet available for return labels.

So you can suggest the buyer goes to the library to print, or ask a friend/family/neighbor to print.

Buyer can go to Staples where they can use their computer and print (there's a fee but it's minimal).

Buyer could also "print" the file to PDF format and upload it to Staples website then go to the store to pick it up. I think it costs 20 cents for a single copy. Yep - here ya go @coolections: (link)

Other places offer similar services - FedEx copy/print center, etc. It's pretty easy to find a way to print something.

You could offer to snail mail a return label. I've never done that, but know others around here have done that.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

sorry..........I thought return labels were one reason they instituted the QR code thing.......

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Every time I’ve had the return buyer without a printer it was a nightmare. Buyers without printers seem to lack other fundamental skills as well. But they know how to do chargebacks…

Message 15 of 28
latest reply