cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund of fees on returns

BTW, are you aware that after May 7th you will no longer get any of your Paypal fees back when you refund?  This means that Paypal will keep both the $.30 AND the 2.9% you originally paid to process the payment through Paypal

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Refund of fees on returns

I surprised Paypal still does money transfer between friends and family for free. I'm guessing a significant number of transactions are for ordinary merchandise payments.

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031 

I am aware of the contractual agreement between eBay and PayPal that will continue.  The timing is just suspect since PayPal is not part of the "soft opening" of eBay's managed payments.  You've seen yourself that a number of posters have stated they will be looking to get into eBay's managed payments as a result of this money grab on PayPal's part going into affect May 7th.

BTW, when PayPal does become part of eBay's managed payments and all PayPal funds will go into eBay's PayPal account, how long do you think that eBay will bear the cost of transaction fee on returns?  My guess is not long at all.

I can understand how it could look that way to some.  But from my point of view it made perfect sense for Ebay to do this.  Kind of test the waters on how receptive the community would be while staying within the obligations under the contract.  This is also part of why the launch was so small.  They had to stay within the percentage of sales process by other payment options other than PP.

Personally I feel the PP fee increase is more likely in response to Ebay ultra relaxed way of handling returns.  With almost a no fault type of attitude by Ebay in regards to buyers and returns, I'm confident that the refunds being processed by PP have increased dramatically.  

I don't know that Ebay will bear that expense.  I haven't read anything on that.  Do you have a link to where they have already said they would pay the expense?  For them to announce this so far in advance would be pretty unusual for them.  I'm not trying to be rude to you.  It just would not be like Ebay to announce their position on this already.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 47 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031 

I am aware of the contractual agreement between eBay and PayPal that will continue.  The timing is just suspect since PayPal is not part of the "soft opening" of eBay's managed payments.  You've seen yourself that a number of posters have stated they will be looking to get into eBay's managed payments as a result of this money grab on PayPal's part going into affect May 7th.

BTW, when PayPal does become part of eBay's managed payments and all PayPal funds will go into eBay's PayPal account, how long do you think that eBay will bear the cost of transaction fee on returns?  My guess is not long at all.

I can understand how it could look that way to some.  But from my point of view it made perfect sense for Ebay to do this.  Kind of test the waters on how receptive the community would be while staying within the obligations under the contract.  This is also part of why the launch was so small.  They had to stay within the percentage of sales process by other payment options other than PP.

Personally I feel the PP fee increase is more likely in response to Ebay ultra relaxed way of handling returns.  With almost a no fault type of attitude by Ebay in regards to buyers and returns, I'm confident that the refunds being processed by PP have increased dramatically.  

I don't know that Ebay will bear that expense.  I haven't read anything on that.  Do you have a link to where they have already said they would pay the expense?  For them to announce this so far in advance would be pretty unusual for them.  I'm not trying to be rude to you.  It just would not be like Ebay to announce their position on this already.

@mam98031 

I haven't taken anything you've said as rude at all.... We are having a discussion and nothing more, I do not take your challenges personally.  You are absolutely correct, there has been no announcement that I'm aware of, but there are eBay members currently utilizing the service who probably do know how that works.

Completely an assumption on my part that eBay managed payments would be returning most of the transaction fee on returns.  As a matter of fact it would surprise me greatly if they were not.  Keeping the transaction fee at this time would definitely de-incentivize sellers signing up for the trial.

Perhaps if someone already enrolled in the program could weigh in on how eBay is handling this fee currently, we would all get some answers.

BTW, if eBay does decide to bear the cost of transaction fee on returns and they do not pass it along, watch their attitudes towards returns and cancellations quickly change.

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

I surprised Paypal still does money transfer between friends and family for free. I'm guessing a significant number of transactions are for ordinary merchandise payments.

I totally agree.  Not really certain why it was ever there.  No protection for the sender at all.  If I want to do a transfer to family or friends, I'll do a bank transfer.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031 

@mam98031 

I haven't taken anything you've said as rude at all.... We are having a discussion and nothing more, I do not take your challenges personally.  You are absolutely correct, there has been no announcement that I'm aware of, but there are eBay members currently utilizing the service who probably do know how that works.

Completely an assumption on my part that eBay managed payments would be returning most of the transaction fee on returns.  As a matter of fact it would surprise me greatly if they were not.  Keeping the transaction fee at this time would definitely de-incentivize sellers signing up for the trial.

Perhaps if someone already enrolled in the program could weigh in on how eBay is handling this fee currently, we would all get some answers.

BTW, if eBay does decide to bear the cost of transaction fee on returns and they do not pass it along, watch their attitudes towards returns and cancellations quickly change.

EXCELLENT as none is intended and YES we are just having a conversation with possibly different points of view that may enable us and others to learn a little something new.

I personally don't think Ebay will eat fees.  They will either negotiate them away or maybe Ebay will back away from this no fault return system and PP will go back to normal.  One can only HOPE!!!

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:
EXCELLENT as none is intended and YES we are just having a conversation with possibly different points of view that may enable us and others to learn a little something new.

I personally don't think Ebay will eat fees.  They will either negotiate them away or maybe Ebay will back away from this no fault return system and PP will go back to normal.  One can only HOPE!!!

Smiley Happy

Finally, two posters who can disagree and challenge each other's posts without getting their knickers in a bunch.  LOL  Great things happen when people challenge the status quo.  Look at what we were able to do with the question on whether sellers could leave a not so positive statement to a negative or neutral FB.

I don't think eBay will eat the fees either.  I PERSONALLY think they will start off returning the fees and once the program is fully implemented, they will change.  Like I posted earlier, I think this may have been a "back door" deal to speed up the transition... Course I believe in black helicopters. Smiley Very Happy

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Smiley Happy

Finally, two posters who can disagree and challenge each other's posts without getting their knickers in a bunch.  LOL  Great things happen when people challenge the status quo.  Look at what we were able to do with the question on whether sellers could leave a not so positive statement to a negative or neutral FB.

I don't think eBay will eat the fees either.  I PERSONALLY think they will start off returning the fees and once the program is fully implemented, they will change.  Like I posted earlier, I think this may have been a "back door" deal to speed up the transition... Course I believe in black helicopters. Smiley Very Happy

Very well said.

I think they will negotiate something with PP regarding the fees when PP option enters the MP program.

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

As soon as this goes into place....I will no longer accept Cancellation requests unless buyer pays for the fees.  To many buyer mistakes, like "I used the wrong credit card" "I forgot to put in a coupon code" "my kid did it by mistake"  .  Most of the time they never reorder anyway. Buyers need to start paying for their mistakes.  Ebay needs to address this!  Sellers are getting **bleep** off with all the cash grabs, and slow sales. 
Message 53 of 56
latest reply

Heck at least you are getting reasons.  the last couple I had there was no reason stated at all.

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:
Very well said.

Which part?  The part about working together to get answers or the part about believing in black helicopters?

Smiley LOL

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:
Very well said.

Which part?  The part about working together to get answers or the part about believing in black helicopters?

Smiley LOL

scream

Message 56 of 56
latest reply