cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Sellers

Is it entirely honest that ebay has Recommended Sellers on their landing page that are in direct competition with you in your usual categories as a seller? I imagine buyers (collectors) get the same recommendations as you do as a seller.

It annoys me a bit, since we pay the same fees. 

Why don't let buyers search and compare items, leaving all sellers with the same advantage?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Recommended Sellers

@selsa84 wrote:

BTW, always loved your profile pic. Some good looking dogs there.

@selsa84 

Those are my puppies.  They were wonderful and full of personality.  They are both in heaven now but forever part of my heart.  

Our sweet Girl.  This is OhanaOur sweet Girl. This is OhanaOur comedian.  This is Suka our boy.Our comedian. This is Suka our boy.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 25
latest reply

My neighbor when I was young had one just like it and I use to walk him every day. No charge. Big ball of fur.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

I just don't think the "recommended"  slot should be "for sale".  It should be earned.

Exactly! You've put it with a clarity beyond my reach 🙂 

@mam98031  wrote:

The answers are ALWAYS in the Math. 

Sure looks like ebay is doing it like this — but I actually disagree with it in part. Running things looking only at statistics and numbers is not always the best way — it's the quick, superficial one, that trumps over people.  That's probably why eBay feels so detached from the small, eventual seller, and the choices and changes they make are usually disagreeable or unfair. Sometimes you need to look at things case by case, group by group, etc.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

On "bad" feedback..........you've got to remember how low the actual numbers are in comparison to sales........feedback left is only 50% max of the actual sales.......probably more like 35% or less.......  so the seller that shows 10,000 feedbacks assuredly  had sales of 20,000 or more and you have to assume many of the non feedback left sales were acceptable to the buyer......

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@ulfesharpe wrote:

@selsa84 wrote:

I just don't think the "recommended"  slot should be "for sale".  It should be earned.

Exactly! You've put it with a clarity beyond my reach 🙂 

@mam98031  wrote:

The answers are ALWAYS in the Math. 

Sure looks like ebay is doing it like this — but I actually disagree with it in part. Running things looking only at statistics and numbers is not always the best way — it's the quick, superficial one, that trumps over people.  That's probably why eBay feels so detached from the small, eventual seller, and the choices and changes they make are usually disagreeable or unfair. Sometimes you need to look at things case by case, group by group, etc.

But the OP ONLY asked about the stats.  So that is what I addressed.

When Ebay promotes a seller on the front page of Ebay, it is highly likely they are also looking at their Seller Dashboard stats.  

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@ulfesharpe wrote:

@mam98031  exactly because of that,  any purchase from a store that is handling thousands of transactions is much more likely to go wrong than from a 100% eventual seller.  Murphy's Law.

Some of the worst transactions I had buying is from sellers with very little feedback. The cannot describe an item, or they just plain out lie about the condition. There packaging is usually inadequate.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

I have yet to find a landing page anywhere where any of our stores appear. Of course it's ebay user agreement, but having landing pages with recommended sellers that have terrible metrics is beyond comprehension. Spending millions for some firm to figure out that it's best to not have a set criteria but instead anything goes. Let's take a step back and look from the perspective of a casual buyer who's past experiences along with ebay's past "reputation" lands on a recommended sellers page goes to it and see the the terrible metrics. Would you buy from that seller?  I know I wouldn't, regardless of price or specific item. 

There are simply too many alternatives now. If we all just simply throw up our hands and say "well it's their site and we signed the user agreement" then it's definitely game over. Not to mention the fact that we cant go 5 minutes without a pop up ebay "tell us what you think" survey. Obviously, it's a dog and pony show. Answering honestly to those survey's is a crap shoot, so I avoid them or at least try to be "gentle" in my replies. Marketshare down, Worldwide shipping hasn't helped, (6 billion people on the Planet and we've had 4 outside US sales, all to the UK and the same buyer!). 

Just my 2 cents, as I've said many times for us, it's about creating job opportunities and skills training for many who were left behind after Covid. It's what I tell myself anyway..lol.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

My profile pic too is our furever pal, Esmie, who recently passed at the age of 19. Can't bear to change the pic because she was always by my side & helping.  Lovely pups! Sweet faces! Such intelligence behind those soulful eyes!

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Ebay has never had a landing page that will show you information on Multiple stores that you own.  For each account you can go to your Seller Hub and find info specific for that account.

I personally don't have any problems with meeting Ebay's requirements to be TRS.  I met them long before the program came into existence.  

IDK why you are getting that survey message that often.  There is absolutely something wrong with that.  YOu should notify Ebay so they can fix that as it should not be happening.  But if you don't tell them, they can't fix it for you.

Sales are certainly down for many sellers right now.  I don't know why, but it has affected me too.  I hope things improve for us all very soon.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@*trekkie wrote:

My profile pic too is our furever pal, Esmie, who recently passed at the age of 19. Can't bear to change the pic because she was always by my side & helping.  Lovely pups! Sweet faces! Such intelligence behind those soulful eyes!

Clearly I agree with you.  BTW I LOVE the name.

We had a Cat too, his name was Mojo.  We lost him young, he got sick suddenly and we lost him within a couple of says and a bunch of money to the Vet.  

My dogs were such a joy to us.  Ohana was just a bundle of sweetness.  She didn't give her love away easily, you had to earn her respect first.  And our boy Suka's personality was so much like our Son's it was a real head scratcher.  He was such a comedian.  He would do silly things all the time.  Dang I miss my babies, dogs, cats and my kids.  LOL

Message 25 of 25
latest reply