cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a PayPal Case

I had a buyer purchase a relatively inexpensive (<$30) item from me in early March. Item was timely received along with positive feedback. Today he opened a PayPal case for not as described. When I went to respond to the case there were only three options: State that I already refunded the buyer, fully refund the buyer NOW or add more details to the case. I selected option 3 and added "return for refund." What is going on here?

-C

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@68barbie 

Send a shipping label through PayPal now. PayPal and the bank or credit card that has filed the chargeback will see this as a positive sign. PayPal and banks or credit cards want to see this and it reflects favorably on you. If the buyer does not use the label to return the item this will not look good for the buyer.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@68barbie- Was it a credit card chargeback?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I suspect so because within the narrative it said the complaint originated with the card issuer but the rest of the email ballyhooed a PayPal case. Is there any recourse here or do I just go ahead and refund? After 20 years on eBay this is the first credit card charge back I've ever encountered!

-C

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@68barbie wrote:

I had a buyer purchase a relatively inexpensive (<$30) item from me in early March. Item was timely received along with positive feedback. Today he opened a PayPal case for not as described. When I went to respond to the case there were only three options: State that I already refunded the buyer, fully refund the buyer NOW or add more details to the case. I selected option 3 and added "return for refund." What is going on here?

-C

They missed the return window for eBay, so they filed with PayPal. I see you offer Free Returns. It doesn't make much sense that the buyer didn't contact you before opening a case, but they are not required to do so. My best guess is they changed their mind about wanting the item. Either that or could it have malfunctioned in some way?  You didn't mention what it was.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

It was a 1970s Fisher Price record player. I understand why he'd go to PayPal, since his time is up with eBay, but don't understand why PayPal didn't give an option to just accept the return.  While I don't relish giving away free merchandise I don't want a protracted battle that'll result in my refunding the $28.02 PLUS an additional chargeback fee- ugh.

-C

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I had one chargeback and I loaded the tracking number and won. If the tracking number is still available that’s really all you need to prove.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Here's the text from the case (I took out the buyer's info). I don't think adding a tracking number will work with this one since it's a not as described case rather than a not received case. 

Not as described - claim

Case ID: PP-D-30485011

We’re reviewing your case and will get back to you soon.

Case filed on: May 8, 2019 Being reviewed by PayPal Estimated resolution date:June 12, 2019

The buyer reported that the item they received wasn't as described.

The buyer has filed a case with their financial institution for a payment of $28.04 USD you received on Mar 3, 2019. We've opened a case on May 8, 2019 so that we can collect more info and resolve this with the buyer's financial institution. Learn More

View case history

Case details

Buyer information

Transaction amount

$28.04 USD

Transaction ID

7F489007YF132923F

Shipping address

Date reported

May 8, 2019

Your responses

Date added

May 8, 2019

Note

He can return for a full refund.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@68barbie 

Send a shipping label through PayPal now. PayPal and the bank or credit card that has filed the chargeback will see this as a positive sign. PayPal and banks or credit cards want to see this and it reflects favorably on you. If the buyer does not use the label to return the item this will not look good for the buyer.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

That's fine for a Not Received dispute, but this is a Not As Described.

Paypal will insist the buyer pay return shipping for an NAD if the seller asks for it.

The problem is that it seems that  PP is acting as intermediary for the credit card chargeback.

If the card agrees that Return for Refund is acceptable, the seller/OP is free and clear.

If the record player is returned, he refunds, which is his policy in any case (albeit for the 30 day eBay dispute period).

If the buyer does not return the player, what will the cc company do?

We have no clue.

Policies vary not only from cc company to cc company but also by the services offered on that particular card.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@68barbie 

Take my advice quickly before PayPal add a $20.00 charge to your account for getting a chargeback. Please see my previous reply.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

While I believe it's sound advice, I went back to the case and there's no place to add any other information. It just says they are reviewing the info and will get back to me. As in when they remove the $$$ from my account and hand it back to the buyer on a silver platter- HA Thanks for the tip, though.

-C

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

You could try phoning PP and asking what is likely to happen, reiterating that you are happy to have the player returned for a full refund.

Best wishes.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Exactly! I'm not sure why the buyer didn't file a case with PayPal instead of with his card issuer unless he was unaware he had 180 days with PayPal. His feedback left for others didn't show any concerns and his messages to me prior to the sale were pleasant, i.e. He was excited to receive this because he wanted to show his classroom what us "old folks" used to listen to music, etc. No warning signs with this so I'm just scratching my head..

-Candace

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@something-very-special wrote:

@68barbie 

Actually, in this case i would not send a return label. PayPal’s policy differs from eBay’s for a Not As Described case. PayPal does not require the seller provide return shipping. While it might be a goodwill gesture, it could also appear the seller is accepting responsibility or blame for the fault. The seller has done nothing wrong here. No need to be out additional funds unnecessarily.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Send a shipping label through PayPal now.

Why?   Claims made via PayPal do not require the seller to pay for return shipping.  It is not even an issue.  The seller has already expressed that he will accept the return for a full refund.  Since the seller has "missed out" on the time to file the SNAD with ebay for a prepaid return.  It is now on "the buyers dime".   

Message 15 of 20
latest reply