cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a PayPal Case

I had a buyer purchase a relatively inexpensive (<$30) item from me in early March. Item was timely received along with positive feedback. Today he opened a PayPal case for not as described. When I went to respond to the case there were only three options: State that I already refunded the buyer, fully refund the buyer NOW or add more details to the case. I selected option 3 and added "return for refund." What is going on here?

-C

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Question about a PayPal Case

@femmefan1946 wrote:

That's fine for a Not Received dispute, but this is a Not As Described.

Paypal will insist the buyer pay return shipping for an NAD if the seller asks for it.

The problem is that it seems that  PP is acting as intermediary for the credit card chargeback.

If the card agrees that Return for Refund is acceptable, the seller/OP is free and clear.

If the record player is returned, he refunds, which is his policy in any case (albeit for the 30 day eBay dispute period).

If the buyer does not return the player, what will the cc company do?

We have no clue.

Policies vary not only from cc company to cc company but also by the services offered on that particular card.

----

THIS!! Do NOT send a label!!!

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Well, unfortunately my offer to accept a return fell on deaf ears (or eyes?) and the case was closed in favor of the buyer. And I got a $20 slap on the hand for not just handing the money back in the first place! 

What was odd is I had received an email from PayPal today asking for my return policy and address in order to accept the return. I wrote back that on eBay I offered free 30 day returns but the buyer has waited 60+ days to open a complaint. I added I was willing to accept a return on PayPal, since they in effect offer 180 day returns, and gave my address. Minutes later I received another email stating they decided to refund the buyer in full with no mention of the return!

So, the moral of this story is if a buyer files a Not as Described case on PayPal you might as well just fork the money back over at the earliest opportunity. What a disappointment!

-C

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

The buyer didn’t file with PayPal.  They filed with their cc.  There is no PayPal protection for a not as described chargeback.  The only thing to do to avoid the additional $20 charge is to refund in full to begin with 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

True- thank you for the clarification. Still, it is disheartening that absolutely no effort is required by the buyer in order to receive their money back. I guess I should be thankful that 1) this is the first I've encountered in 20+ years on here and 2) it wasn't a large sum of money.  But still serves as reminder that your sale isn't really your sale until you pass that charge back threshold!

-C

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Might have something to do with school getting out for summer and he no longer needs the item as a display.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply