cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prohibited Medical Devices

Ebay has a policy on medical device - https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/medical-devices-policy?id=4322 which states that devices that "require a prescription" can't be sold on Ebay. However, nearly every medical device that is approved by the FDA has the "prescription use" box checked on the FDA approval.

Ebay even has a specfic category for these devices - https://www.ebay.com/b/Healthcare-Lab-Dental/11815/bn_1851782 . Millions of listings are for items that were approved by the FDA with "prescription use".

Why my rant? I had a listing removed (a blood/hematology analyzer) for breaking this policy. But Ebay even has a category for blood/hematology analyzers. 95% of the listings under https://www.ebay.com/b/Blood-Hematology-Analyzers/185179/bn_115383681 are for devices that had the same type of FDA approval.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Prohibited Medical Devices

Let me be clear. While I did have a specfic listings removed, my issue is with Ebay's policy in general. Ebay has dozens of categories for devices, 100% of which require a presscription. 100% of medical devices that are not sold at drug stores (like everything used in a doctor's office, hospital of laboratory) require a prescription.

As an example, there is a category for Autorefractors, Keratometers, & Tonometers ( https://www.ebay.com/b/Autorefractors-Keratometers-Tonometers/185176/bn_115383937 ). There are four listings for Accutome Accupens. Here is the devices FDA filing - https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf8/K083377.pdf . You can see, on the bottom, the checkbox for "prescription required".

I am not trying to get these specific listing "in trouble". I am saying that Ebay does not actually have a policy restricting "prescription only" devices. They are specifically encouraging the selling of these devices by having so many categories for them. There are hundreds of sellers who only sell in these categories.

BTW, I followed the link to get someone in trust and safety. The person claimed to be in that department and said he would "get back to me" on my question. Of course, the chance that an actual Ebay employee, who has any authority to address this, will get back to me is about nil.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@ziggylab 

I have a question, I take it that your an authorized dealer with ebay? You have such specialized medical equipment ( I understand what some of it is as I've used the hand held analyzer to run blood)

But, you need maybe someone in trust & safety  to speak with and to get approval to relist this item. Regular customer service is not going to help you, you need a real ebay representative,  best to you.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

OK, thanks. I'm not sure exactly how to get contact someone in trust & safety. I've reached out on Twitter and Facebook. From the FB conversation I've determined that the problem is probably that the device's label has "RX only" written on it.

The FB person assured me that the issue was that the device was FDA listed as "prescrption required" and not because of the label. Of course, as I already wrote, nearly every device listed in under their healthcare category has the same type of approval from the FDA. I checked about 20 of them (the FDA approval is a public record so it's easy to find) and everyone had the same box checked.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@ziggylab 

You have to go thru ebay security center 1st, you find that at the bottom of this forum page.

Was your analyzer for capillary blood or venous blood, the venous would require a prescription. 

The only thing I can say is don't re- list this product, your on the ebays radar and the end result could mean suspension. 

You've already contacted the facebook/ Twitter reps so other than that I don't know.  Hopefully someone will stop by with other suggestions. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

This is a device used in a laboratory or hospital. No individual would ever buy one. They cost $70,000 new.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@ziggylab 

I understand that, I was a nurse in a major hospital,  we had beds that were over $100k lol.

I was just wondering why the FDA placed a prescription required on a device that your trying to sell and cannot.

Let's try devon@ebay 

maybe he can guide you on who to contact.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@ziggylab 

I understand that, I was a nurse in a major hospital,  we had beds that were over $100k lol.

I was just wondering why the FDA placed a prescription required on a device that your trying to sell and cannot.

Let's try devon@ebay 

maybe he can guide you on who to contact.

Hey @silverstatetreasureboxes! I would recommend for @ziggylab to work with our trust and safety team here if they are needing more specifics for the takedown of their item.

Devon,
eBay
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Let me be clear. While I did have a specfic listings removed, my issue is with Ebay's policy in general. Ebay has dozens of categories for devices, 100% of which require a presscription. 100% of medical devices that are not sold at drug stores (like everything used in a doctor's office, hospital of laboratory) require a prescription.

As an example, there is a category for Autorefractors, Keratometers, & Tonometers ( https://www.ebay.com/b/Autorefractors-Keratometers-Tonometers/185176/bn_115383937 ). There are four listings for Accutome Accupens. Here is the devices FDA filing - https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf8/K083377.pdf . You can see, on the bottom, the checkbox for "prescription required".

I am not trying to get these specific listing "in trouble". I am saying that Ebay does not actually have a policy restricting "prescription only" devices. They are specifically encouraging the selling of these devices by having so many categories for them. There are hundreds of sellers who only sell in these categories.

BTW, I followed the link to get someone in trust and safety. The person claimed to be in that department and said he would "get back to me" on my question. Of course, the chance that an actual Ebay employee, who has any authority to address this, will get back to me is about nil.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Did you get Ebay's permission to sell that device? If the answer is NO, then do not relist it or you will be banned from Ebay. Selling medical devices is one of the biggest no no's on Ebay. Don't worry about what others are doing.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

So is there some kind of certification you need to list Medical Devices on eBay? I work for a company that sells medical equipment and we've been getting our account suspended for anything Rx Only even if there are already thousands of listings for that same item. Customer support has told us "The Medical Devices Policy isn't a "full" policy... What does that even mean? Its getting old and its hard to tell whether we can list something or not, because there are specific categories for the items and thousands of listings as well. ebay states in their policy that you must add the following paragraph to the listing description:

"The sale of this item may be subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and state and local regulatory agencies. If so, do not bid on this item unless you are an authorized purchaser. If the item is subject to FDA regulation, I will verify your status as an authorized purchaser of this item before shipping of the item."

The disclaimer states "Subject to FDA regulation", Does that not  mean Rx Only??

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@haelsh_66 wrote:

So is there some kind of certification you need to list Medical Devices on eBay?

YES

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Are there any links to more information about it that you could provide? DOTmed and Bimedis literally require nothing to list those items on their platforms.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

No doubt, Ensure compliance and seamless transactions for your medical devices with our innovative billing solutions.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply