cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible scam in the works? Received Reply message from China buyer I never had contact with?

Hello,

I received a message from a China ebay member with feedback of 7.     It LOOKS like a reply message,  starting with Re:  in the title,  (although ebay does not treat it as such).     Their "new" message was just "hello"   but the section below that says in green "Your previous message" -  Can I ask what the lowest price you will take--   making it look like I ask this person what the lowest price I would take on my own item.    I am not sure why there is a "Re:"   in the title,   and why the message makes it look like I had previously replied to (or started a conversation) with this person.    I am just suspicious at this point,  as I am not sure what kind of scam they could be trying to set up

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Possible scam in the works? Received Reply message from China buyer I never had contact with?

The scam is as follow, as I have had the same issues in the past.  This person is going to ask you about your lowest price, after you reply, they are going to send you another message with another question.  Eventually, they are going to send you another message that shows that they paid for the item, and that you need to ship the item.  Believe it or not, some people fall for this kind of scam.

The money, will not show up in your account.  As they will never pay.  Just add this amazing person to your Block Buyers List, and be done with him/her.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The scam is as follow, as I have had the same issues in the past.  This person is going to ask you about your lowest price, after you reply, they are going to send you another message with another question.  Eventually, they are going to send you another message that shows that they paid for the item, and that you need to ship the item.  Believe it or not, some people fall for this kind of scam.

The money, will not show up in your account.  As they will never pay.  Just add this amazing person to your Block Buyers List, and be done with him/her.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Just don't even reply to it.  Place them on your blocked bidder list  too.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the fast replies!   Just added them to blocked buyer list.    I knew there was something fishy about this.     I wish ebay would do more to crack down on scam & dishonest buyers.  Ebay seems pretty good about weeding out dishonest sellers

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@tweetyboyd1971 wrote:

Thank you for the fast replies!   Just added them to blocked buyer list.    I knew there was something fishy about this.     I wish ebay would do more to crack down on scam & dishonest buyers.  Ebay seems pretty good about weeding out dishonest sellers

Did you report the messages to eBay?

eBay kicks off thousands of people every day but it's wack-a-mole. They would kick off more people if they were reported consistently.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I did just report the suspicious message to ebay.   Not sure if they can do anything at this point since the message doesn't contain a blatant scam,   even though other ebay sellers seem to be aware of it

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@tweetyboyd1971 

I wouldn't even make any more contact with this person.  Tagging on...block them.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply