cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible buyer scam - too good to be true?

I am an infrequent, but long time ebay member. I sometimes sell, sometimes buy. I learned last year that ebay protects the buyer, rarely the seller. Now to my point:

I am selling an almost new camera worth $450 new with best offer, and a starting bid at $199 (no bids so far). Most of the offers are coming in low ($130-$170) until yesterday got a $255 offer to buy, seemed like a good price. Well, I am somewhat aware that there are many scammers out there. I looked at the buyer's profile and it is completely empty. No feedback, no trace of any transactions. It does say that person is member since Aug. 2013. I am finding the high price and the lack of any history suspicious.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Possible buyer scam - too good to be true?

@hedya000 wrote:

Any thoughts on this?

1.  I'll never understand the point of Best Offer on an auction listing.

2.  $255 offer on a $199 starting bid for an item the seller values at $450 is not High.

3.  If this same person bids $199 and wins, you would be obligated to sell.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The Best Offer on an auction is something only eBay can add. Makes no sense to me either.
In an auction any bid IS an "offer"

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Scammers are drawn to cameras.  Cancel his bid or decline his offer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Actually with no bids I'd be inclined to either end the listing and try again (and hope eBay doesn't add BO) or add a line to the listings saying 'despiteeBay's added BO I am NOT accepting offers on this AUCTION"

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Best Offer is the same as shooting yourself in the foot.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Whether it would turn out to be true in your case, is yet to be seen.  However, when I have listed somthing and I get a higher offer than what I am asking, it is generally a scam.

When all is said and done and it comes time for payment, it is a bogus check or a fake paypal e-mail saying that 'you will get paid when you have uploaded tracking' or, the person wants it, real fast, for a gift and then cancels payment (unauthorized purchase, etc.) after it is shipped.

Like I said, may not be anything to do with your case, but something to be aware of and take into consideration.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I made a mistake by clicking best offer with the auction listing. I somehow thought that the best offer would be over and above the initial listing price. Now I see how it works.

I have pulled the listing and frankly I am so turned off with Ebay. Too many scams and ebay does not protect the sellers an inch! I will stick to selling junk only on ebay.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

And yet your camera is still up...
Message 9 of 9
latest reply