Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfect example of search not working

For the non-believers, please search this:

cast iron train 1020

Then search this:

cast iron train 1018

The first one comes up in ebay search, the second does not. A google search for the second is the first thing that comes up - an active listing on ebay.

Riddle me this, Batman.

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Perfect example of search not working

@go-bad-chickenwrote:

@yuzuhawrote:

@swenson8781wrote:

@dhbookdswrote:

so ebay's taken down the listings......hidden them, but G had the feed before they were taken down and will continue to show it......and we can get to it from there.  I tried to put into cart.....and got opps a problem......

That makes total sense to me, as when I put my store on vacation I hide them completely so they cannot be purchased.  However, items listed on here (eBay) are in real time, and the items loaded onto Google from another site are much slower to update, and definitely not updated in real time or overly current.

Agreed-- it seems to me that in this case, search is working exactly as intended.  The seller is on vacation, so of course their listings aren't going to turn up in an eBay search if they've chosen to hide them for the duration of their vacation.

That makes sense and you are probably right. Google probably does not either recognize eBay's vaction setting, or it might be that Google does recognize the eBay's vacation setting, but it takes sometime for their system to de-list the eBay listing from their search results.

This ^^^^^

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

When you click  Buy it Now for the "nidden" listing, it says:

"The seller's store is closed for vacation. Check back later."

There is nothing wrong with search.

That is how search is supposed to work when a seller puts his store on vacation.

No, it SHOULD show you that the store is on vacation when you go into the listing.

And if you click on the store, how many new buyers know what the yellow flag is? 

What happened to any mention of 'Vacation' in the listing itself? 

That's where the disconnect comes in. 

@go-bad-chickenwrote:

@yuzuhawrote:

@swenson8781wrote:

@dhbookdswrote:

so ebay's taken down the listings......hidden them, but G had the feed before they were taken down and will continue to show it......and we can get to it from there.  I tried to put into cart.....and got opps a problem......

That makes total sense to me, as when I put my store on vacation I hide them completely so they cannot be purchased.  However, items listed on here (eBay) are in real time, and the items loaded onto Google from another site are much slower to update, and definitely not updated in real time or overly current.

Agreed-- it seems to me that in this case, search is working exactly as intended.  The seller is on vacation, so of course their listings aren't going to turn up in an eBay search if they've chosen to hide them for the duration of their vacation.

That makes sense and you are probably right. Google probably does not either recognize eBay's vaction setting, or it might be that Google does recognize the eBay's vacation setting, but it takes sometime for their system to de-list the eBay listing from their search results.

Which I dont mind, but the listing itself should say that the seller is away on vacation, like it does on many others.

That's OK - neither one listed these as Kenton, so if I decide to list my pair(auction), they will be easier to find.

@d-k_treasureswrote:

That is how search is supposed to work when a seller puts his store on vacation.

No, it SHOULD show you that the store is on vacation when you go into the listing. 

What you see in the listing detail has nothing to do with search, which was the topic that I was responding to and what I explicitly mentioned in my post. 

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@d-k_treasureswrote:

What you see in the listing detail has nothing to do with search, which was the topic that I was responding to and what I explicitly mentioned in my post. 

I agree. I should have put it a bit differently.

What happened to the vacation setting that used to show up in the listing, though?

What happened to the vacation setting that used to show up in the listing, though?

How do you know seller put one on............why do it, since the items will be hidden? 

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@d-k_treasureswrote:

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@d-k_treasureswrote:

I don't have a store, so I am not sure how it works. 

But when I look at eBay's online help for store vacation settings, it looks like putting up a return date and putting a message explaining that you are on vacation are both options that the buyer can either choose or not choose. 

Do you know for sure that the message you are referring to is something that eBay always does, or is it possible that this seller simply chose not to do it? 

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@yuzuhawrote:

Yes it is. Thanks for posting so the OP can understand search.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

@luckythewinner

@d-k_treasures

The seller checkmarked the box to not show their items for sale. See the screenshots below...vacationsetting.PNGvacationsetting2.PNGIt blocks people from buying their listings OR seeing them.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@d-k_treasureswrote:

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@d-k_treasureswrote:

I don't have a store, so I am not sure how it works. 

But when I look at eBay's online help for store vacation settings, it looks like putting up a return date and putting a message explaining that you are on vacation are both options that the buyer can either choose or not choose. 

Do you know for sure that the message you are referring to is something that eBay always does, or is it possible that this seller simply chose not to do it? 

Nope. I don't have a store either. I just assumed that if the seller has a store on vacation, it would show in the listing. After all, you can find them from google, and if you have them in your watched items, you can access them that way. Especially due to the latter, you would think that a vacation message would be shown in the listing in addition.

@*coinswrote:

@luckythewinner

@d-k_treasures

The seller checkmarked the box to not show their items for sale. See the screenshots below...vacationsetting.PNGvacationsetting2.PNGIt blocks people from buying their listings OR seeing them.

It also says "When people look at your listings, we'll show them this message". But it appears they don't in all cases. That's where the confusion comes in.

Sorry Lucky and Vintige (and me) - I forgot to remove the '@' before the ID's before replying.

@d-k_treasureswrote:

Sorry Lucky and Vintige (and me) - I forgot to remove the '@' before the ID's before replying.

@I don't think it @mentions you if the @ is in a quote...it's fine to @mention me, btw.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@d-k_treasureswrote:

@go-bad-chickenwrote:

@yuzuhawrote:

@swenson8781wrote:

@dhbookdswrote:

Which I dont mind, but the listing itself should say that the seller is away on vacation, like it does on many others.

That's OK - neither one listed these as Kenton, so if I decide to list my pair(auction), they will be easier to find.

IMO You are correct, the listing should state the the seller is away and will not be processing any purchases until xx-xx-xxx date. It has always displayed that in the past.

This could create some real problems if say a buyer was looking and comparing prices of different listings of the same item, and one listing was an auction and another was a buy it now. The buyer places a low bid in the auction knowing that they have the buy it now listing to fall back on. Then the auction ends, and the buyer does not win, but then goes to purchase the buy it now listing and only then finds out that the seller is a away on vacation and will not be back for 2 or 3 weeks. That could be an issue, especially since you can still access listings that are on vacation from your watch list, but in this case you would not realize that the listing was on vacation hold until you attempted to purchase it.  That would be disappointing.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@go-bad-chickenwrote:

IMO You are correct, the listing should state the the seller is away and will not be processing any purchases until xx-xx-xxx date. It has always displayed that in the past.

If the seller enters a return date - which the screen shot above seems to indicate is optional.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply