cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Dispute "Awaiting Decision" for over a month now...

On April 20th, I received a message from eBay about a sale I made on December 29th:

"BUYER has filed a payment dispute outside of eBay about an order that was placed on Dec 29, 2020. This means the buyer has disputed a charge directly with their payment provider. They are requesting $149.99 back and the reason for this dispute is that the buyer did not recognize the transaction.

Please respond to this dispute by Apr 25, 2021."

So I immediately responded the only way eBay would allow me, which was inputting the tracking number for the package (which was delivered a few days after the sale via USPS Priority).

Problem is, it's been a month since I've done this, and absolutely nothing has happened. The dispute is still ongoing, in the "Awaiting Decision" stage:

"We've sent your rebuttal to the buyer's payment institution and they are currently reviewing it. We'll let you know when they've made a decision. "

According to eBay, there's nothing else I can do. I've heard horror stories of people who legitimately shipped their items and still lost the disputes, and any payments associated. To make matters worse, the tracking # is so old that it no longer shows up on USPS tracking searches.

Has anyone went through this recently, or is currently going through this? This has actually happened to me before, but with PayPal, it would always be wrapped up (rightfully) in my favor in a few days. It seems to me the Managed Payment system is dropping the ball hard when it comes to these disputes.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Payment Dispute "Awaiting Decision" for over a month now...

I stand corrected. My apologies for my erroneous statements above. It appears you will likely be protected by ebay even if the buyer wins the claim. 

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Seller protection for unauthorized transaction are the same as paypal.  Even if the cc denies the claim, ebay will cover you......altho you may have to appeal to get it.  

You provided proof of delivery that included all of the following:
Tracking number provided by the shipping company (uploaded by the date indicated in the payment dispute notification)
A delivery status of "delivered"
Date of delivery
Recipient's address, matching the address on the order (including the city, county, zip code or international equivalent)
Proof of signature confirmation if an order has a total cost (including shipping and taxes) of $750 or more, uploaded as an image while contesting the payment dispute.

And that is the difference @shiraikimiaki between a UA on PayPal and on eBay:

- eBay will only cover you if you have proof of delivery (you don't)

- PayPal covers with either proof of shipment or proof of delivery

Somehow @popblox your bot decided there was no proof of delivery applying all of the aspects noted above. eBay uses internal feeds from the carriers (that's why for example eBay shows zip codes on *UPS* tracking, which are not visible publicly) so the information should be more precise, not less accurate. Check if you paid a 1.65% foreign transaction fee.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Thanks for the responses everyone, of course no update yet.

As for proof of delivery, what exactly do you mean? While I can no longer access the item page, since it's so old (I really wish there was a way for the item and tracking to be archived, specifically for situations like this), the order page has the item marked as "Delivered" with a green check mark. Unfortunately, unless I pay the USPS Tracking Plus Archives, I can't pull up the tracking number due to its age as well. I would pay it eagerly, but I'm not given an option to do anything to further refute this claim here on eBay, so I feel it would be a wasted effort.

On a side note, I contacted the buyer shortly after this case was opened, and he seemed to have no idea what was going on, which I found strange.

If it matters, the item was delivered within the United States.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I would consider POD to be signed on receipt which is the only way a seller can prove that the buyer did indeed get the item, but I don't know how it works for you guys in the US.

Over here I send anything over $50.00 with SRD (buyers signature required on delivery)

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@shiraikimiaki Did you ever get this resolved and how long did it take?

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

They sided with the buyer as they always do.  

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply