cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal Scams Abound

So this is off-topic of eBay a bit but it pertains to scams and I wanted to share a little story about paypal scams abound.

My uncle called me yesterday and said he has a $2K lawn mower -- or some sort of equipment -- listed on Craig's List.  He said he got an email from someone saying he wants it (sight onseen, even though it's a pick up item) and he will pay him for it via paypal and just needs to his email address associated with paypal to complete the transaction.

Well my uncle does not have a paypal account but he knows I do for eBay so he called and asked if he can give this person my email so he can transfer the $2K into my account and then at a later date I can just give that money to my uncle.

I said HOLD UP -- you are getting scammed.  This person is going to either send a fake email saying it's been paid or later do some sort of chargeback and you will be out the equipment and then also the $2K.  

I advised him to modify the post to say cash or cashier's check upon pick up only. But ... had I not sold on eBay I never would known this.  There are such low life scammers out there.  Trying to take advantage of a 70 yr old man who just wants to unload this expensive piece of equipment.  Disgusting people.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

PayPal Scams Abound

The whole POINT of selling on CL is cash on the barrelhead. Period.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

Yep, and no delivery confirmation nor online signature which is required in a Paypal item not received case above $750.

Yet ebay still forces sellers to take paypal with local pick up items. One more reason I don't sell local pick up on ebay. 

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

There are such low life scammers out there.  Trying to take advantage of a 70 yr old man who just wants to unload this expensive piece of equipment.  Disgusting people.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scammers don't care who they are scamming, they will scam anyone, they don't discriminate.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

@*madison wrote:

There are such low life scammers out there.  Trying to take advantage of a 70 yr old man who just wants to unload this expensive piece of equipment.  Disgusting people.

Scammers don't care who they are scamming, they will scam anyone, they don't discriminate.

The scammers target oldsters because the old people fall for it most of the time.

It has taken me years to get my dad to understand that if a charity sends you a gift OR call on the phone, they are scammers.  But he is learning and has paid attention my taunting them and is starting to do it himself.  He told one that he will send the money for the handling fees for the millions he was promised through Western Union and had the guy calling back for hours checking to see when it was done.  We just sat back and laughed and laughed.

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

I realize this is not so much about paypal, but in general how people will take advantage of the elderly. 

My father has dementia and he needs very close watching. Two years ago he signed up for some drugs that were supposed to help with his memory. Not too bad for someone who truly is struggling with memory loss. He saw an add in the paper and just went ahead and called himself. Locked in, so they said, on monthly supply's.  

It took months, plus threats of a lawsuit to get it all sorted out and stopped. Rather than take away his credit card, which would have greatly upset him, we had the bank put a limit of $100 a purchase.

Nowadays his health has worsened so this no longer would happen, but it shows you how much we have to pay attention to our parents in their later years.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

@retrose1 wrote:

@*madison wrote:

The scammers target oldsters because the old people fall for it most of the time.

It has taken me years to get my dad to understand that if a charity sends you a gift OR call on the phone, they are scammers.  But he is learning and has paid attention my taunting them and is starting to do it himself.  He told one that he will send the money for the handling fees for the millions he was promised through Western Union and had the guy calling back for hours checking to see when it was done.  We just sat back and laughed and laughed.

Yes, @*madison, unfortunately that's true, mainly because most older people grew up in a time when MOST people could still be trusted, when your word was your bond, and when a handshake was enough to seal a deal. Nowadays, those people have become targets for people devoid of morals, ethics and integrity. That's why there are laws against Elder Abuse, which includes financial abuse.

@retrose1, your response made me chuckle. 😄 Seems like your Dad is becoming pretty savvy!/A few years ago, my then 77 year old Mama got a frantic phone call from her grandson, David, saying he had just been arrested and needed her to wire him bail money immediately. Well my Mama may be a senior citizen, but she ain't stupid or senile, and she KNEW that none of her four grandsons was named David. Still, she couldn't resist stringing him along for a bit... 😳

Belle
Message 7 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

So sorry your Dad was victimized. My grandfather also suffered from dementia, and it was heartbreaking to watch this once brilliant business man fall for one scam after another, until my father and aunt took similar action to limit his financial vulnerability. Will keep you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers! ((HUGS))

Belle
Message 8 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

So sorry your Dad was victimized. My grandfather also suffered from dementia, and it was heartbreaking to watch this once brilliant business man fall for one scam after another, until my father and aunt took similar action to limit his financial vulnerability. Will keep you and your Dad in my thoughts and prayers! ((HUGS))

Thank you for your kindness. It is so heart breaking. My father was an amazing physician. To see that wonderful mind slowly fade away has been very hard. Thankfully, we have all pulled together to make what is left of his life as pleasant and stressless as possible.  My husband and I even took him to New Hampshire on holiday. He got to drive with a friend of ours in a Mazda Miata convertible. Lord the smile on his face that day was precious.388122_10151146609245761_1420485493_n.jpg

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

He wasn't driving....really. This was just a photo op...lol
Message 10 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

I too will keep your Dad in my prayers - went through it with my grandmother & mother somewhat after her stroke.  My grandmother cleaned houses for a living, but she was a proud strong woman.  Watching her demise really and truly broke my heart, mind you her and I fought like cats and dogs LOL!  My mother said that her and I were twins, but I don't think I am as sassy as she was.  Dementia has no boundaries and does not care who it strikes 😞   Eventually she had to be placed in a nursing home because she walked out of the house one night in Dec, with snow mounds as high (or higher than 5') w/no coat, shoes, socks, nothing.  As much as we fought, it broke my heart in more ways than one 😞  I took care of her mainly, because my mother I guess had other things to do 😞  I think sometimes because she did not do that much for her (it was her mother) was what helped bring on her stroke.  She could not even remember that Nanna died, and when she asked, I just told her "Mommie she is not here."

The picture of your Dad made me smile 🙂  Sending some love @odditiesandantiquities1

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

Awww, I LOVE that photo! He looks so happy. You're an amazing lady, Vivian. Blessings!

Belle
Message 12 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

@postingid2017 wrote:

I too will keep your Dad in my prayers - went through it with my grandmother & mother somewhat after her stroke.  My grandmother cleaned houses for a living, but she was a proud strong woman.  Watching her demise really and truly broke my heart, mind you her and I fought like cats and dogs LOL!  My mother said that her and I were twins, but I don't think I am as sassy as she was.  Dementia has no boundaries and does not care who it strikes 😞   Eventually she had to be placed in a nursing home because she walked out of the house one night in Dec, with snow mounds as high (or higher than 5') w/no coat, shoes, socks, nothing.  As much as we fought, it broke my heart in more ways than one 😞  I took care of her mainly, because my mother I guess had other things to do 😞  I think sometimes because she did not do that much for her (it was her mother) was what helped bring on her stroke.  She could not even remember that Nanna died, and when she asked, I just told her "Mommie she is not here."

The picture of your Dad made me smile 🙂  Sending some love @odditiesandantiquities1

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It is a stealer of hearts. I have fantastic memories of my Dad. We have to honor and keep remembering those times.  😚

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

Ebay does NOT require paypal on local pickup items. You are free to accept cash and that is the only thing you should accept on local pickup.
Message 14 of 42
latest reply

PayPal Scams Abound

"I advised him to modify the post to say cash or cashier's check upon pick up only"

I would go with Cash Only.  Money orders and cashiers checks can be readily faked as well.

The only way I would take any kind of a check for that amount would be if the transaction was taking part with the assistance of a bank associate, at the bank.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply