cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packaged scanned in error as "delivered" instead of "accepted" & now buyer has opened an INR.

Dropped off 4 packages yesterday & one of them was scanned at the register, so the tracking number was scanned as "Delivered. Picked up at counter" instead of "Accepted". Instead of contacting me first & waiting for me to do something, my buyer filed an "Item Not Received" claim.  I went today to the post office, thankfully the one clerk who knows what to do was there, so she re-entered the tracking number as "accepted", but it has not updated online. She said that the package should still get to its destination, but we will have no updates. 

Being the item is marked as delivered, and I updated the tracking, when will my payment be released from on hold? My concern is that I will have to trust that the buyer will receive it in the next few days & drop the INR.  Has anyone else come across this problem? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Packaged scanned in error as "delivered" instead of "accepted" & now buyer has opened an INR.

Have you let the buyer know what has happened? Some buyers are really nice. Buyer might close the claim. I have been there before. However, there is this time frame claim INR...which remains open. Funds are on hold until claim is closed. Then depending what type of funds date you picked...you still have to wait for your funds. If you normally wait like 3 days for your money in your bank...Day funds are released you will wait 3 days for those funds. You do not get funds the day the claim is closed. I been around the block a few times with this.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Have you let the buyer know what has happened? Some buyers are really nice. Buyer might close the claim. I have been there before. However, there is this time frame claim INR...which remains open. Funds are on hold until claim is closed. Then depending what type of funds date you picked...you still have to wait for your funds. If you normally wait like 3 days for your money in your bank...Day funds are released you will wait 3 days for those funds. You do not get funds the day the claim is closed. I been around the block a few times with this.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@*trekkie   this happened to me about a month ago. a newbie postal carrier scanned my outgoing eBay pkg as 'delivered' to the buyers zip code. After many phone calls, i found out that once the 'delivered' scan is done, tracking ends for us to see, but the postal people can see it on their screen, so they told u the truth. I kept calling my post office and then the buyer's to stay updated on the tracking and then i let my buyer know thru texting.

What I did> as @12345jamesstamps  said about nice buyers, i lucked out with one. i actually eBay messaged her and then text when she did not answer within a few days and explained and she text back nicely. I also called her local post office and let them know the situation and could I tell the buyer to call them to verify the scan mistake, etc. She did call and they kept her updated.

she ended up leaving me awesome feedback.

As i said, i lucked out, hope u do too!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I am in luck that the buyer is very friendly & understanding & stays in communication with me! They have not closed the claim, yet. Hopefully the item will end up at their door in a day or two & the INR will be closed.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks! My buyer is understanding & patient. They are just concerned about receiving their item & it not getting lost along the way. We have all gotten spoiled to technology & now they will have to rely on the 'old ways' of putting things in a box & have it magically appear several states away!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@*trekkie  

well said 😁 i'm sure it will turn out for the good all the way around

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It's  good thing that your buyer is understanding. But hopefully the buyer knows that it is his/her responsibility to close the INR claim once the purchase is delivered. Because of the original "Delivered" mixup, it may not close automatically, as I understand.

This happened to me a couple times in the past when the letter carrier selected "delivered" instead of "accepted" on her scanning device. Both times my buyers were understanding and patient, but didn't file an INR.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Make sure you still load the tracking number in response to the INR. The response to the INR is still important even though you know what happened. Even though it shows delivered it will continue to have tracking scans until it is delivered to your buyer. I had this happen several months ago to a whole pile of packages picked up that day. They all got delivered as addressed.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Respond to the INR case with the tracking number and explain what happened.

I'm sure ebay will give you some time for the package to be delivered.

Hopefully it will be delivered in a few days and everything will be ok. 

Good luck!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@*trekkie wrote:

my buyer filed an "Item Not Received" claim. 

I went today to the post office, thankfully the one clerk who knows what to do was there, so she re-entered the tracking number as "accepted", but it has not updated online. 

You could have left the tracking as Delivered just to be safe in the INR case, instead of forcing it back to Accepted at the post office.

The reason is, eBay will likely never see the Accepted -- is this true @*trekkie please check and post an update?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

On the eBay tracking link & on the USPS website, it still says, and will say package was delivered. Only the actual post office can see where it is. I'll have to rely on my buyer being honest & contact me when they get the item & remove the INR. I'll also check on Friday with the post office for an update.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

UPDATE:

I went to the post office & asked the clerk to check transit. Item was delivered in mailbox! I let the buyer know and asked to please remove the INR. They did! Case closed, money released! They were also very nice & understanding. I wish all of my buyers were as patient as this one was! No feedback, but hey, no feedback is much better than negative feedback!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@*trekkie wrote:

UPDATE:

I went to the post office & asked the clerk to check transit. Item was delivered in mailbox! I let the buyer know and asked to please remove the INR. They did! Case closed, money released!

When you look at the tracking of this package through eBay, and also the tracking as reported on USPS.com, do either or both now show the correct, updated scans and delivery?

Reason I ask is because in the past (at least), the USPS.com scans would update once the package had progressed beyond the wrong Delivered scan at Acceptance time, but the same tracking as viewed on eBay would stop as soon as that first "Delivered" was seen, and would never update beyond that. I'm curious to know if that situation has improved now.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

eBay never showed the corrected tracking. USPS.com only updated once the package had arrived in the same state of the buyer and was delivered 15 hours later. So, some improvement, but not the best. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I have had that happen as well recently. Sometimes when you go to USPS.com the tracking will show it is moving through the system even if the original scan as delivered was incorrect. Apparently once that delivered scan gets into eBay’s system it stays that way even if the tracking continues  with USPS on their website.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply