cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA to sellers: Never use USPS Retail labels! There are always better options.

Recently I purchased a couple of rare auto parts from one seller...one for my own project car, and one for resale to a customer. The items arrived today and are excellent, but I almost lost my lunch when I saw the shipping label! This poor guy spent sixty dollars to send a (rather large) 5-pound box from OH to PA. I put the weight and dimensions into the eBay shipping calculator and came up with about $18 for a UPS Ground eBay label. That means this seller gave up over $40 in potential profit just by using the wrong shipping service.

It's clear from the recent rate surcharges that USPS is no longer interested in handling oversize packages, especially at the retail counter. If you want to stay in business, don't do this to yourself! Check all the shipping options, and set up your listings with "standard shipping" so you have flexibility in which services to use. Or if using calculated shipping on large items, be sure it's not defaulting to Priority Mail and showing buyers a crazy quote.

This is not the first time I've seen someone do this, and this guy is a pretty big seller, not an amateur. He must be losing thousands per year to unnecessary shipping charges.

DSCF2307.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

They got hit with the dimension rate of 22 LBs for an oversized box

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yup, seems the USPS online ground shipping would have been right there in the same range as the UPS amount.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

They got hit with the dimension rate of 22 LBs for an oversized box

Yep. 36*20*5 is more than double size for dimensional weight calc.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

got hit with the $15 surcharge

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I plugged the numbers (estimating from Pensacola, FL to Birmingham, AL...about 250 miles) into Pirate Ship and got $17.85 for UPS delivered tomorrow(!) and $50.11 for USPS Priority Mail.  Even USPS Parcel Select is at $48.29.  I don't often ship large(r) packages, but that is *quite* a difference!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

USPS is trying to 'get away from' anything a carrier can't 'CARRY' since they also have to do regular mail and requires a 'vehicle trip to the door', so under 22" is the magic size with over 30" even costing more.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply