cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers lower than the Starting Bid … when is it okay?

Good Morning!  😊

As a non-seller, I think of a Starting Bid as ‘the lowest amount a seller is willing to accept for the item’ … and would only make an offer higher than the SB.  A seller-friend of mine said otherwise recently when the subject came up in a thread on the ‘Ask a Mentor’ Board.

I’ve only seen one thread on this subject … and I’d really appreciate input from sellers as to what you personally feel is appropriate regarding the amount of an offer on an auction listing.  TIA.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Offers lower than the Starting Bid … when is it okay?

Most buyers will offer less.  As a seller of some 8 years I find this ok if the buyer-is reasonable with their offer i.e. your start of auction price is £25 and they offer £22/23.  Its not alright when you have a price of £25 and get offered£10.  This seems to be the norm lately.  I have kept the best offer but now put in a fixed price i am willing to accept and the rest get auto declined.  Its the same with watchers, i call them “Reducers” as that is the reason for watching, waiting for you to reduce the item to a much lower price than  the ridiculously low price you already have it listed at.  For me i will be leaving once i have listed my items in auto list for 8 times and they havent sold because there not 99p and NO this does not encourage bidding , most times the item  will sell at 99p or some really low ridiculous amount.  No sale - charity shop.  This way the charity benefits and not someone who thinks your £50 item is worth 99p.  Postage same cenario.  We pay fees on postage, dont pass to buyer but i do add packaging fees.  Evri is now £3.10 for under 1 kilo so i charge £3.80.  This does not even cover my expenses - packing paper, sellotape, packaging tape, mailing bags, bubble wrap, foam chippings, petrol to and from parcel shop i can go on.  Do i think its worth it now - NO.  It takes up so much time for so little money and then you get the nit pickers who say you havent described your £2.95  item correctly because the pink in the photo is a slightly brighter shade than the pink  on the item when they receive it.  Then you have paid out the postage and have to give it back, so you lose the postage money and the buyer knows this so hopes you wont  bother to ask for it back.  They then keep  the item and you have to return their money including postage.  SCAMMERS.

Message 46 of 47
latest reply

Re: Offers lower than the Starting Bid … when is it okay?

I've been on eBay for almost 20 years as a seller and am winding down my business. I started out in the days when eBay was all auctions, then transitioned my business to all BIN or BO. I had over 13000 items online at my peak. Now that I am getting out of the business I've spent this calendar year reducing my inventory by taking my items to local auction houses where I have a pretty good idea of what I'll get for them in bulk. For my last batch of items I've started them on eBay as auctions at either $9.95 or $19.95 and included a best offer option. Since I've had these items up at BIN or BO at higher prices before, I know what interest the eBay market has in them. Anyone is welcome to make me any offer they like but I'm not going to take an offer that is less than my starting price plus some $$. What possible incentive do I have to do so? I get a week for someone to bid the starting price and hopefully for other buyers to bid more AND I get the added incentive that a buyer may want to bid on more than one item since I'll be happy to combine shipping by weight and distance. If I have an item I thought was worth $40-50 and am starting it at $9.95 or $19.95 why on Earth would I want to end my auction early for $6 or $8 or $12? Customers are welcome to try but it won't happen with me. And scorn and ill treatment on all sides is one of the reasons I'm getting out of this business after 20 years. It is simply not worth the high fees and self-righteousness of people like the one who posted #45 to stick around any longer. ADIOS!!

Message 47 of 47
latest reply