cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response required from seller on payment disputes anymore?

I get at least 2 payments disputes a month - 99% of the time for "buyer didn't recognize/authorize the transaction" on an item that's already been delivered with valid tracking. Usually I get a 'Respond Now' email from eBay, where I have to challenge/accept the dispute, then confirm the tracking number. After that, I wait 4-8 weeks for the outcome, which is usually eBay refunding the buyer and telling me I'm covered by seller protection.

Today I get this dispute notice (more of an FYI really), but there’s no “response” required at all and it tells me right away that I’m covered.

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 15.00.08.png

When I click on "See more details", it just displays the dispute, order number, buyer ID, etc. 

I don’t know if it’s something about this particular transaction that possibly triggered this type of notification, or if it’s a promising advancement in how eBay handles payment disputes. Has anyone else received a notice like this one? 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: No response required from seller on payment disputes anymore?

@valueaddedresource wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@popblox wrote:

I get at least 2 payments disputes a month - 99% of the time for "buyer didn't recognize/authorize the transaction" on an item that's already been delivered with valid tracking. Usually I get a 'Respond Now' email from eBay, where I have to challenge/accept the dispute, then confirm the tracking number. After that, I wait 4-8 weeks for the outcome, which is usually eBay refunding the buyer and telling me I'm covered by seller protection.

Today I get this dispute notice (more of an FYI really), but there’s no “response” required at all and it tells me right away that I’m covered.

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 15.00.08.png

When I click on "See more details", it just displays the dispute, order number, buyer ID, etc. 

I don’t know if it’s something about this particular transaction that possibly triggered this type of notification, or if it’s a promising advancement in how eBay handles payment disputes. Has anyone else received a notice like this one? 

Hi @popblox! I reached out to get more info about what you encountered and they provided me with the following info to share:

We've been providing automated seller protections since last year and it's not limited to a certain group of sellers. When a seller receives automatic payment dispute protections they will not be able to issue a refund or accept/challenge the dispute but they will be able to see the dispute in Request and disputes in the Order tab in Seller Hub. When a transaction is equal to or less than $2.50 eBay will auto protect the seller and will not recoup the transaction amount and will credit the dispute fee.

eBay will review a dispute to determine if it qualifies for seller protections at three different points during the dispute life cycle:

1. Dispute open date
    • eBay will review the dispute when it is opened to determine if it is eligible for seller protections
    • If the dispute is eligible for seller protections, a hold will not be placed and the dispute fee will not be charged
    • If the dispute is not eligible for seller protections, we will move to the next step in the review process
  2. After the seller review window expires (5 calendar days)
    • eBay will review the dispute after the seller review window closes if we could not determine seller protection eligibility at the time of dispute open
    • If the dispute is eligible for seller protections, the hold will be released and the dispute fee will not be charged
    • If the seller does not respond to the dispute within the required timeframe, the dispute will remain open for the full 5 calendar days and we will move to the next step in the review process
  3. Dispute closure OR EDD + 3 (whichever occurs last)
    • eBay will review the dispute when the final decision is received from the payment institution, or after EDD + 3
    • If the final decision is received prior to EDD + 3, the dispute will remain open until EDD + 3 has passed
    • This is to allow time for the item to show delivered within the scheduled time frame
    • If the dispute is eligible for seller protections, the hold will be released and the dispute fee will not be charged

Note: eBay will still review a dispute for seller protections eligibility regardless of the final decision from the payment institution.

velvet@ebay  just want to say thank you for following up on this and giving us such a detailed response! 

If you could get that info added to the payment dispute seller protections help page, that would be great too.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293 

I'm glad this was helpful @valueaddedresource! I've passed on the request to have more detail provided in the help page.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 31 of 40
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hi @popblox! I reached out to get more info about what you encountered and they provided me with the following info to share:

When a transaction is equal to or less than $2.50 eBay will auto protect the seller and will not recoup the transaction amount and will credit the dispute fee.

This is a great improvement! because the last time, I was only protected for 25 cents.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

@valueaddedresource @popblox velvet@ebay 

I'm dumb..........I don't see (understand) the processes...........which I ASSUME as stated are only for chargebacks(?)

WHAT is reviewed..........in each step, the seller protections will be reviewed????  Holds will not be placed (#1), but will be released (#2 $ 3)?

What is seller review for?  to fight a NAD/NR charge back?

Do the 1,2,3 refer to different types of charge backs?  Unauthorized,not recognized, Not received, Not as described? 

Sorry, just a jumble of words that I can't apply to specific instances.......

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I'm dumb..........I don't see (understand) the processes...........which I ASSUME as stated are only for chargebacks(?)

WHAT is reviewed..........in each step, the seller protections will be reviewed????  Holds will not be placed (#1), but will be released (#2 $ 3)?

What is seller review for?  to fight a NAD/NR charge back?

Do the 1,2,3 refer to different types of charge backs?  Unauthorized,not recognized, Not received, Not as described? 

Sorry, just a jumble of words that I can't apply to specific instances.......

Hi @dhbookds - This is regarding payment disputes, not the eBay Money Back Guarantee. The 1., 2. , 3. are the different stages the dispute is reviewed to see if it qualifies for automatic seller protections. I was not provided specific examples of what instances prompt the seller protections to kick in aside from what I noted regarding transactions that are equal to or less than $2.50.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 34 of 40
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Yes, chargeback: when a buyer contacts their payment provider (credit/debit card/PayPal) to send a demand to a retailer (eBay) requesting they make good a loss on a (allegedly) fraudulent or disputed transaction.

When eBay presents a chargeback to a seller, it is officially referred to as a payment dispute.

@dhbookds wrote:

WHAT is reviewed..........in each step, the seller protections will be reviewed???? 

My assumption is that eBay has an algorithm will analyze (review) a seller account and make determinations based on various qualifying/disqualifying factors. I also assume this process is similar to how eBay sets new seller limits, or whether or not funds are "held" for returns, etc. I don't think the exact details on how they set these mitigating factors have been released (or ever will be).

@dhbookds wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, there are 3 types of payment disputes: unauthorized/unrecognized, INR, & INAD/SNAD. The 1, 2, 3 steps outlined by velvet refer to when eBay reviews a PD to determine its eligibility for seller protection. Here's a hypothetical:

*Buyer makes purchase on 2/1, EDD is 2/10

*Item ships on 2/4

*Buyer files PD for reason "item for received" on 2/5 while item is in transit

Review 1 conducted on PD open date:

eBay reviews PD on 2/5: seller is not eligible for seller protection (item is NOT delivered)

Review 2 conducted 5 calendar days after PD opened:

eBay reviews PD on 2/11: seller is not eligible for seller protection (item delayed in transit, NOT delivered)

Review 3 conducted 3 days after EDD (Estimated Delivery Date):

eBay reviews PD on 2/14: seller is eligible for seller protection (item was delivered on 2/13)

This is the way I understood it, correct me if I'm wrong velvet@ebay.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

I got one exactly like that yesterday. I thought is was strange too.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Yes, chargeback: when a buyer contacts their payment provider (credit/debit card/PayPal) to send a demand to a retailer (eBay) requesting they make good a loss on a (allegedly) fraudulent or disputed transaction.

When eBay presents a chargeback to a seller, it is officially referred to as a payment dispute.

@dhbookds wrote:

WHAT is reviewed..........in each step, the seller protections will be reviewed???? 

My assumption is that eBay has an algorithm will analyze (review) a seller account and make determinations based on various qualifying/disqualifying factors. I also assume this process is similar to how eBay sets new seller limits, or whether or not funds are "held" for returns, etc. I don't think the exact details on how they set these mitigating factors have been released (or ever will be).

@dhbookds wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, there are 3 types of payment disputes: unauthorized/unrecognized, INR, & INAD/SNAD. The 1, 2, 3 steps outlined by velvet refer to when eBay reviews a PD to determine its eligibility for seller protection. Here's a hypothetical:

*Buyer makes purchase on 2/1, EDD is 2/10

*Item ships on 2/4

*Buyer files PD for reason "item for received" on 2/5 while item is in transit

Review 1 conducted on PD open date:

eBay reviews PD on 2/5: seller is not eligible for seller protection (item is NOT delivered)

Review 2 conducted 5 calendar days after PD opened:

eBay reviews PD on 2/11: seller is not eligible for seller protection (item delayed in transit, NOT delivered)

Review 3 conducted 3 days after EDD (Estimated Delivery Date):

eBay reviews PD on 2/14: seller is eligible for seller protection (item was delivered on 2/13)

This is the way I understood it, correct me if I'm wrong velvet@ebay.

Hey @popblox! You're hypothetical makes sense to me but to be clear, I don't have specifics as to what qualifies or not for those automated protections to trigger.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 37 of 40
latest reply

velvet@ebay @popblox 

Thanks pop...........that's kind of what I discerned from the ebay statements.........BUT how in the world does a new/less experienced seller figure out what procedures apply to what payment disputes and connect it to what seller protections....?    I do appreciate your breakdowns........

If/when they add to help pages.........the TYPE of payment dispute should be defined along with the applicable seller protection..........  (and by the way the term payment dispute drives me crazy, assuming it is meant to mean Chargebacks)..............

Velvet, just my opinion........

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

wrote:
 When a transaction is equal to or less than $2.50 eBay will auto protect the seller and will not recoup the transaction amount and will credit the dispute fee.

Maybe I’m slow but does that mean that automatic seller protection only applies to transactions of $2.50 and under? 

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@nocoolnamejane wrote:
 wrote:

Maybe I’m slow but does that mean that automatic seller protection only applies to transactions of $2.50 and under? 

Lol, I opted out of even attempting to contemplate that one in an effort to retain my sanity. 

Message 40 of 40
latest reply