cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Shipping Scam, eBay Customer Support giving full refund to buyer

This is the second time in the last month we have seen this same scam from different buyers. They have a high-end gaming laptop shipped to to an an address in New Castle, DE, and the eBay tracking will show the item as delivered. This is the eBay seller shipment tracker in its entirety.

Delivery Scam.png

Then the following day the tracking will show the item was picked up in South Carolina and will begin transit to PA where it eventually gets delivered to a random address. The only way I know this is by putting the tracking information into a 3rd party provider such as aftership.

Aftership Proof.png

The kicker is that the official UPS website only shows the delivery information post-second pickup in SC. This is the UPS website tracking for the same tracking number in its entirety.

UPS Scam.png

I lost the original case as the buyer was emphasizing the package was delivered to PA.

case details.png

When deciding in the buyers favor the customer service rep initially claimed  1) I did not purchase Signature Confirmation (which we did!) and 2) That the item was delivered to the wrong address then it my responsibility to open a case with UPS. The granted both the original case and appeal to the buyer and gave them a full refund. I am currently out $600 for my buy-cost of the laptop and all associated selling / shipping / advertising fees on a $1000+ sale.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Does this scam have a name? Have you guys seen it on your accounts?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@oakcitydistributors 

Very sorry for your situation.  The address you provided is a freight forwarder.  From what I understand, the Money Back Guarantee does not apply.  I would think that it would go for non receipt as well.  This is terrible.  You have all the obvious tracking info, so eBay should have ruled in your favor and closed the case.  

The only thing I can advise is to reach out on social media via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These are US CS agents who are actually employed by eBay and may better serve you.  Tell them what you wrote here on this forum and hopefully they'll respond within 24 hours.  They usually do.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful and provide a positive outcome. 

I wish you Good luck and hopefully all will work out on your behalf

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

What in the world is Ebay doing?!?!? thats a 3rd party shipper , your only obligation it to the address... why is ebay going along with these scammers? hmm...........

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

This may or may not be a "scam".  As ckimodog mentioned there is a good probability that the Delaware address is that of a freight forwarder but could not check that since you did not provide the specific address. A lot of the eBay case resolution is automated and while the MBG does not apply once the item has been delivered to the FF the automated software does not recognize the fact that it was delivered to a FF.

Once the FF has the item they are responsible for deliver to the buyer at the forwarding address. Since you had signature requirement obtain the signature doc from UPS, you also have proof that the FF forwarded the item to the buyers address that they had on file. There is always the possibility that the buyers information with the FF is incorrect or that the FF sent it to the wrong address but you have no way of knowing that which is why the MBG does not extend beyond the FF's receipt of the item. 

Regular customer support is useless these days but follow the Facebook guidance ckimodog for contacting eBay and you should be able to get this resolved. 

While I am not sure whether this is or is not a scam attempt laptops, electronics and cell phones are one of the favorite targets of the eBay scammer community, especially among the foreign buyers many of  which use a FF. While eBay has  a policy regarding their MBG and the use of FF's that policy becomes null and void should the buyer open a chargeback with their CC company. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

this is a bad situation

the only thing I can tell you is that when a UPS label is purchased from ebay then the buyer is not able to redirect it

that is one of the protections that UPS labels purchased thru ebay offers

@oakcitydistributors 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Following this thread and tagging @wastingtime101 

Posting ID
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

What in the world is Ebay doing?!?!? thats a 3rd party shipper , your only obligation it to the address... why is ebay going along with these scammers? hmm...........

Because too much of the case processing is automated. EBay has no idea the original address is that of a FF. I have had to resolve a couple of these with eBay and once you prove/show that the original destination was that of a FF and the item had been delivered eBay sided with me and reversed the original ruling that was in the buyers favor. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@oakcitydistributors 

This is a astrange situation indeed. I can't explain how this happened, but perhaps this will be helpful.

The UPS does show the full scanning history on their website, if you log in and view it from an account. You can create a My UPS account and do this, if you don't have one already.

@oakcitydistributors wrote:

The kicker is that the official UPS website only shows the delivery information post-second pickup in SC. This is the UPS website tracking for the same tracking number in its entirety.

UPS Scam.png

On that page that you showed in your screenshot above, click on one of the links at the bottom, and either log in to UPS, or sign up for a UPS account and log in to it. Then click to view the "Shipment Progress" tab, and you can see the full history:

https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_US&tracknum=1ZAC9818A829173628&requester=ST/trackdetails

lacemaker3_2-1699276625089.png

lacemaker3_3-1699276889794.png

It's the two scans that I highlighted in red that are the problem, aren't they. How could the package have been signed for in Delaware, and then picked up in South Carolina less than 35 hours later?

That doesn't make sense. I would contact UPS, and ask them to investigate this tracking history for potential fraud. The only thing I can think of is that somehow, the scammer created another UPS shipping label, with the same tracking number but different shipping address and return address, and arranged for the second label/package to be shipped the day after the first package (your package) was signed for.

If UPS can update the tracking history, then that would give you good grounds to appeal the decision, because then the tracking history should stop in Delaware.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@oakcitydistributors 

You may need to file a claim with UPS to get them to investigate this. I would try just reporting it and talking to the agent first, and see where that gets you. I have not done this myself (haven't heard of this situation before) so I can't advise you from experience.

To file a UPS claim, click on the "File a Claim" button on the tracking website (link in my reply above).

On the next page, the tracking number will be filled in. Did you purchase the label yourself, or through eBay, or a shipping app? If you bought it through eBay or a shipping app, click the box for  "Did you ship this package through a third-party eCommerce site?"

If you need the shipper account number, it is the 6 digits following the 1Z in the tracking number. (I did not proceed with this claim, because I have no skin in the game, obviously. This is just to show  you how to proceed.)

lacemaker3_0-1699279235113.png

You will need to provide an email address (associated with the third-party app) and the eBay Help Page says that it is important that you use the same email address for your My UPS account that you use for your eBay account. So you may need to create a new My UPS account, using the correct email address.

https://www.ebay.com/help/shipping-items/shipcover/shipping-insurance?id=4643#section3

Please let us know how this turns out.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

What a weird shipping history. It looks like somehow two entirely different packages were shipped from different places with the same UPS label number.

Perhaps there was a glitch in the program that created the label (either at UPS or through eBay). I think I read that something similar happened a week or two ago with a certain number of USPS labels purchased through eBay.

Or, it could have been intentionally done by someone who applied the same shipping label number to a fraudulent label. Since the seller is asking what happened and the buyer is essentially the only other person with the label number, I would suspect the seller might be up to shenanigans.

OP, did you purchase the shipping label through eBay?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@djvp53Yes, I purchased the label through eBay with adult signature confirmation.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

You lost me on the after ship information. It almost sounds like you sent them a return label? 

Delivered on 24th in DE. Three days later out for delivery in PA. 

Wonder if the buyer is actually located in the U.S. and using a freight forwarder for the scam? 

Once the package is delivered to the address that eBay gave you and it was signed for, you did your job. A seller will never know when the package gets delivered to it's final destination.

Did you buy the UPS label through eBay? If not, did you upload the tracking in eBay after shipping?

Did you do any research on this buyer? Profile, location, and all feedback?

The Holidays are coming, and scams will be on the rise. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

This is a astrange situation indeed. I can't explain how this happened, but perhaps this will be helpful.

The UPS does show the full scanning history on their website, if you log in and view it from an account. You can create a My UPS account and do this, if you don't have one already.

There are two issues to be resolved here. The first is the eBay issue and the claim. If this is in fact a FF, which it appears to be, all the seller should have to do to have the claim ruled in their favor is to:

1. Provide proof to eBay that the address they shipped to is a FF which is easy to do. 

2. Provide a copy of the delivery signature when the item arrived at the FF. 

3. Provide proof that the package was forwarded by the FF, information the seller already has.

The second issue is between the buyer  and the FF to resolve. This is one reason eBay drops the MBG buyer coverage once the item has arrived at the FF. Neither eBay nor the seller has any idea what type of arrangement, shipping address information....... that the buyer has with the FF. Only the buyer and the FF have that information. 

It's the two scans that I highlighted in red that are the problem, aren't they. How could the package have been signed for in Delaware, and then picked up in South Carolina less than 35 hours later?

Very possible depending on when the UPS truck, or plane, departed Delaware and arrived in SC. Depending on what part of each state it's only about 600 miles and 8 hours drive time, less by air. 

That doesn't make sense. I would contact UPS, and ask them to investigate this tracking history for potential fraud. The only thing I can think of is that somehow, the scammer created another UPS shipping label, with the same tracking number but different shipping address and return address, and arranged for the second label/package to be shipped the day after the first package (your package) was signed for.

The other possibility is that the FF just forwarded the package with the original shipping label. Nobody knows for sure other than the FF and the buyer. 

If UPS can update the tracking history, then that would give you good grounds to appeal the decision, because then the tracking history should stop in Delaware.

From the eBay policy perspective and the FF situation the tracking does show the delivery to Delaware and that should be eBay's only focus and concern. The MBG buyer protection ends there. I agree the rest of the tracking gets really strange but that is between the buyer and the FF. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1699286215834.png

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

laptop shipped to to an an address in New Castle, DE, and the eBay tracking will show the item as delivered

@oakcitydistributors 

What a mess you have going on!  I agree to use the blue message button on the link provided to you in message #2 by @ckimodog .   Not only was this a the usual 'freight forwarder scam' it appears that there is a premature or  recycling of the tracking number as well if the "buyer" is indeed unable to redirect. 

Buyers that use freight forwarders may lose their protections for the Money Back Guarantee, but it is up to the SELLER to point this out.  Regular customer service that you get by chat or callback are basically useless regardless of what they might tell you. eBay apparently is now "limiting the number of times you can appeal" so don't waste one on their bot system.  Use the F.Book portal and make this one count. 

Other things you may wish to include is the country of registration of your "buyer", and if they are "still a registered user".   If they have a Zero feedback rating, it may not be easy to find this unless you know how to tweak a URL.  (Come back here for information).  

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Aftership is just a shipment tracking website that let me see the full tracking history. It is the same as others had pointed out of if I had used my UPS My Choice account. I did not send them a return label. I did purchase the label on eBay with Signature Tracking included.  The buyer has 6 positive feedback in the last 6 months and is located in Armenia. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply